Caravan Crash on M5 near Bristol

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Another holiday ruined. Looks like from the photo the caravan became detached from the two car?
Remember everyone check your caravan is securely attached. Wind down the jockey wheel and watch the car start to lift! If that’s ok so are you😎

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
There is a car behind the caravan. You can just see the road wheel behind it. Skid marks on the road look interesting. More to it than just a detachment.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Towards the rear nearside you can just see the wheel of another vehicle. Strangely yesterday the M5 between J7 and J8 northbound was closed due to an accident with several miles of queues.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Towards the rear nearside you can just see the wheel of another vehicle. Strangely yesterday the M5 between J7 and J8 northbound was closed due to an accident with several miles of queues.
The M5 has been a car park most weekends since July, listening to traffic news, it's pretty much been stationary from at least Taunton to Bristol... We went west (Land's End) at end of June via the A303/30, easy drive down, but the traffic going north on that day seemed to be a solid queue from Land's End to Stonehenge

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
To put everyone right this was me & my wife travelling home from Cornwall, we were travelling in lane 1, I was doing 60mph with the cruise control on, at the time we were talking about how good are holiday had been & that nothing had gone wrong, then 30sec later BANG, we were struck from behind by a black car that you carnt see in the picture, the impact shoved the tow ball over & through the back of my car whilst the caravan was still attached, it went that far over that it pulled the tow ball out of the hitch, & the driver of the car drove straight through the middle of the caravan pushing it across 2 live lanes into the crash barrier,
Nothing to do with hitching up properly,
Nothing to do with inexperience,
(I’ve been driving Class 1 Artic’s HGVs for over 30 years & towing Caravans for over 10 years, without any issues,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To put everyone right this was me & my wife travelling home from Cornwall, we were travelling in lane 1, I was doing 60mph with the cruise control on, at the time we were talking about how good are holiday had been & that nothing had gone wrong, then 30sec later BANG, we were struck from behind by a black car that you carnt see in the picture, the impact shoved the tow ball over & through the back of my car whilst the caravan was still attached, it went that far over that it pulled the tow ball out of the hitch, & the driver of the car drove straight through the middle of the caravan pushing it across 2 live lanes into the crash barrier,
(I’ve been driving Class 1 Artic’s HGVs for over 30 years & towing Caravans for over 10 years, without any issues,
Thank you I’m glad you were all unharmed but it must have been terrifying. I can’t even contemplate what the driver that hit you was doing. Stupid driving or medical condition. I can only surmise.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Tweb welcome to the forum, good to know you were all OK

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and thank you for letting us know what happened. Thank goodness you are alright, although it must have really shaken you up. Now you are on the forum, do keep posting.
mel

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Statistically, it's just another caravan crash. I suppose additional driver testing every half an hour, or MOT every months would sort it!
Pleased you were both unhurt Tweb.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tweb, welcome to the forum.
It's good to know that you were both unhurt in what must have been a truly awful end to your holiday.
I hope that this collision hasn't put you off and that you will be fully recommended by the other driver's insurer.
Please let us know how you get on with your claim.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tweb, welcome to the forum.
It's good to know that you were both unhurt in what must have been a truly awful end to your holiday.
I hope that this collision hasn't put you off and that you will be fully recommended by the other driver's insurer.
Please let us know how you get on with your claim.
Provided the other driver is insured, there shouldn't be any issue with liability for the claim but there may well be over values.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site

Crikey, glad you are OK. This is a big fear of mine whilst towing, that despite the fact that I drive very carefully, others do not. I was once in an RTC on the M25 where somebody rear-ended our stationary car at high speed, so I know how much shock you must bee feeling, Seeing it about to happen in my mirrors as a sitting duck in traffic was a scary thing, nowhere to go and just waiting for the impact.

I guess the only blessing is that the central reservation barrier did its job, had your van been pushed into oncoming traffic on the other carriageway it could have been catastrophic.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thank you for the info - definitely very scary so I hope it has not put you off and you will soon be able to replace the car and van with something to suit and get back to enjoying holidays long and short!

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Glad you and your family are safe Tweb.
We joined the motorway at 8.30 that Saturday morning to head South,and heard about the accident on the radio shortly after.
Hope the claim is sorted quickly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What was the driver of the black car thinking or were they under the influence, on drugs or just plain stupid?
Don’t jump to conclusions. It may have been a medical condition, or mechanical /tyre problem with the car. The Police investigation will reveal the cause and any subsequent actions to be pursued.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tweb
many thanks for taking the time to explain. Thank goodness you two were not injured. I can’t begin to think what a shock and immediate fright the whole episode must have been.
Sadly the media always castigate the caravanner. Let’s hope the authorities take the appropriate action against the miscreant and your insurers resolve your claim ASAP. Thanks again for the update

Reactions: Tweb
Oct 15, 2021
Visit site

Did you manage to sort it all out in the end?

Oct 15, 2021
Visit site
Its still ongoing at the moment,
The caravan is a total loss, and we awaiting a settlement & my car is still being prepped for repair, & scheduled to be returned on the 29 October ,
The hunt for a new caravan will start asap,
Thanks

What a nightmare but glad it's being sorted and that your all ok.
I'm considering buying dash cams and fitting to front and back in case of these kind of incidences
Does your car insurance cover your caravan and have they been ok with paying out? I'm considering taking out separate caravan insurance but not sure if it's really needed or just an extra outlay that's not needed

TRENDING THREADS