Caravan Electrics Tripping

Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
Currently on holiday in North Devon and our electrics keeps tripping on the site post. The circuit with fridge, sockets etc works but the circuit for lights, charger, water heater trips the site post. We have checked fuses, etc. When we disconnected the battery it still tripped straight away Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Currently on holiday in North Devon and our electrics keeps tripping on the site post. The circuit with fridge, sockets etc works but the circuit for lights, charger, water heater trips the site post. We have checked fuses, etc. When we disconnected the battery it still tripped straight away Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What is the current supply capacity of the site EHU. They can range from 5amps through to 16 amps. But even at 16 amps if you put too many electrical items on it can trip. Also a microwave may have a rating but at start up it will take more than its rating.
Go along switch everything off and progressively switch something back on to see if it trips the supply. Then turn it off and switch something else on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ask the Moderator to transfer your first post here. Otherwise you will be getting replies to two threads.

Moderator Note : Threads merged .

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi Clive, the site is 16 amps. we have tried all this and It even trips with all the fuses out ☹️It is only one circuit that is tripping.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is most likely to be the water heater.
Try following the cable from the water heater to its connector (about half a metre from the heater) and disconnect it.
Then try the electrics.

If it is this, then you will need a new element, but in the meantime use gas for the hot water

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
If the circuit breaker that is tripping is a RCD device ( residual current device) then you have an earth fault somewhere.To check what is tripping the circuit breaker switch on each system one at a time until the circuit breaker trips that will let you know what is causing the CB to operate,you don't say if the CB trips right away or after some time,the quicker the CB trips the bigger the earth fault.
If the circuit breaker isn't a RCD device the CB is tripping due to an overcurrent,go through the same scenario to check what system is tripping the circuit breakeronly this time switch each system off before switching on the next system.Again the bigger the overcurrent the quicker the CB trips.
Let us know how you get on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Generally RCD's and MCB's work very well and when they operate it's usually becasue there is a fault on the caravan wiring or in an appliance. Its usually best to progressively check each appliance to see which one trips the bollard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Try switching as much as possible i.e. heating, fridge to gas and then switch the appliances one by one to electric to try and isolate issue. I would have thought that the caravan electrics would trip before the bollard, but this never seems to happen?
We were on a 10amp CL site recently and had the load monitor in the caravan set to 8amp and we still tripped the bollard. No issue on the site previous and the next site. Only happened when we switched on the 800w kettle.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Try switching as much as possible i.e. heating, fridge to gas and then switch the appliances one by one to electric to try and isolate issue. I would have thought that the caravan electrics would trip before the bollard, but this never seems to happen?
We were on a 10amp CL site recently and had the load monitor in the caravan set to 8amp and we still tripped the bollard. No issue on the site previous and the next site. Only happened when we switched on the 800w kettle.
Hi,
Why bother switching appliances to operate on gas.Just switch on right away to electric,that's where the problem is.Switching on to gas does nothing to solve problem.

Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
If the circuit breaker that is tripping is a RCD device ( residual current device) then you have an earth fault somewhere.To check what is tripping the circuit breaker switch on each system one at a time until the circuit breaker trips that will let you know what is causing the CB to operate,you don't say if the CB trips right away or after some time,the quicker the CB trips the bigger the earth fault.
If the circuit breaker isn't a RCD device the CB is tripping due to an overcurrent,go through the same scenario to check what system is tripping the circuit breakeronly this time switch each system off before switching on the next system.Again the bigger the overcurrent the quicker the CB trips.
Let us know how you get on.
Hi Bertieboy, the CB trips straight away

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Samathy,
You don't say if the device is a MCB or a RCD device,this is important as whichever device it is determines what kind of fault your getting (overcurrent or earth fault)
Samathy,
Just following on - an RCD device will have a test button on it and a MCB won't.
From what you've said looks like you have a solid earth fault or a short circuit (over current)
Try switching off all the suspected devices and switch on one at a time till the breaker trips then you will know where the fault lies.

Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi, it’s MCB (charger/water heater/lights). It trips with nothing switched on. Have checked all fuses etc and even took all fuses out and still trips straight away

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Samatha.
What year make and model caravan?
It’s beginning to sound like the battery charger .
Bailey use BCA , rubbish
Swift , Nordelectronica , even more rubbish!

let us know and we can steer you in the right direction.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
HI,
Samathy,looks like you have an overcurrent situation,if you had an earth fault the RCD device in the van would have tripped..
In a van all devices protected by CBs are 230 volt ac devices,so it looks like the problem is on the ac side.
What's puzzling me is your reference to fuses,what fuses are you referring to.
The fault may well be in your plug(s) and or mains lead,I say this because it's the only wiring that is portable,check your connections at each end and examine the cable for damage.

Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
It’s a Bailey Ranger 500/5 2007
Samatha.
What year make and model caravan?
It’s beginning to sound like the battery charger .
Bailey use BCA , rubbish
Swift , Nordelectronica , even more rubbish!

let us know and we can steer you in the right direction.
It’s a bailey ranger 500/5 2007

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
HI,
Samathy,looks like you have an overcurrent situation,if you had an earth fault the RCD device in the van would have tripped..
In a van all devices protected by CBs are 230 volt ac devices,so it looks like the problem is on the ac side.
What's puzzling me is your reference to fuses,what fuses are you referring to.
The fault may well be in your plug(s) and or mains lead,I say this because it's the only wiring that is portable,check your connections at each end and examine the cable for damage.
Samathy,
Looks like you have a problem with your hook up plugs/socket /cable,if you can get another one and try it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Samathy

On the understanding you have done all the checks and tests described by my fellow posters then I have to say your charger has failed.
The Bailey Ranger from 2007 uses the old BCA charger unit.

Talk to these guys:-
Fitting their redesigned unit will solve what I believe is you problem. Don’t waste your money on another BCA unit!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Despite the advice above, fitting an Apuljack power supply needs both mains and 12V rewiring which is not a job you should undertake unless you really know what you are doing and have the necessary tools. Either get a mobile tech to come and do it for you, or just go to a dealer and buy another BCA power supply (if indeed it has failed) - beware they ain't cheap! Then get someone on site to fit it - it isn't difficult and needs only a screwdriver or two but you do need to know what you are doing.

Failure of a BCA unit is not unusual on Baileys due to where they are fitted and the lack of ventilation although it has never happened to me across three vans.
I have to disagree. I changed mine earlier this year. The Apuljack is a direct replacement , no extra wiring needed. The plugs and sockets are identical. May I suggest you look at their website. Barely a ten minute job!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why has anything to do with 12v come into the topic.

The fault is with the mains power

All the talk about chargers and BCA units is not applicable.

What the OP needs to do is what I have already said, disconnect the water heater mains cable at its junction near the heater to completely isolate it, and then try the electrics again.

He has not said he has tried that yet.

The OP has said he has removed fuses, but these are 12v only, not 230v , which is controlled only by the MCB's and any other fuses in individual appliances, which the water heater usually has one in the master switch, if fitted, in addition to the MCB.

The only other possibility is a faulty MCB , especially if it is a F&S unit.

However, given what the OP has said, and more importantly NOT said, I strongly suggest getting a mobile engineer to look at it .
A wrong move with 230v can kill,,,,,,,,,,,,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to the OP “charger/water heater/lights). It trips with nothing switched on.”
Damian I read it that he had followed all the earlier advice and switched everything off, including the water heater? Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Samathy,

You will probably shoot me down in flames for this , but I do have to comment on the content of your your questions. It seems to me that you are not electrically qualified, becasue if you were you would not have needed to ask these questions, you would know how to fault find and to complete a repair safely.

As Damian has said, attempting to repair a 230V system needs proper care to avoid leaving it in a dangerous condition.

It is clear you have a significant fault if an MCB is tripping the instant power is turned on. There are a number of things that could be causing this, but it needs to be investigated by a competent electrician.

Aug 12, 2020
Visit site
Hello again Samathy,

You will probably shoot me down in flames for this , but I do have to comment on the content of your your questions. It seems to me that you are not electrically qualified, becasue if you were you would not have needed to ask these questions, you would know how to fault find and to complete a repair safely.

As Damian has said, attempting to repair a 230V system needs proper care to avoid leaving it in a dangerous condition.

It is clear you have a significant fault if an MCB is tripping the instant power is turned on. There are a number of things that could be causing this, but it needs to be investigated by a competent electrician.
Thank you all for comments and help. We were hoping it would be something quick and easy to fix as there is no one available to come to the site to assist. We will muddle through and sort out when we get home.

Thank you all once again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts