Caravan Guard

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Im most impressed with the service Ive just received from these guys.

We pick up our new caravan next Tuesday, and I decided to sort the insurance out today. We were insured with E & L, and I called them to transfer the policy, only to be told I cant, and I would have to cancel the existing policy and take out a new one. The lady also suggested I took out the new policy online as they had a 25% offer at the moment.

I did as she suggested, only to find the new quote was massively larger than our existing policy, so I decided to shop around.

The best deal I could find on the internet was with Caravan Guard (the policy is very similar to the one offered by E & L) so I bought it there and then.

2 minutes later I got a phone call from Caravan Guard, saying they wanted to ask me a few more questions to try and bring my premium down further. After a few minutes of questions that werent on the website, the guy then told me the new premium, which was only about £50 a year more than my old one.
smiley-laughing.gif

I had expected the premium to go up anyway, as the van's value is higher, but I couldnt believe they were calling me to try and cut my premiums even further

Im not sure if this is a normal thing or not (maybe I live a sheltered life lol)

Rick

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Rick
One very important word of warning with CG. They are sticklers for the fine print on the security aspects of their policy.
I know first hand where Insureds have breached their CG special policy terms and conditions and had their claims rejected without mercy. Technically CG are quite correct to do this but I do know the two Clubs Insurerstte are more tolerant.
May I suggest you ask CG to set out in writing their full understanding of exactly what you have told them about your security and storage plus a very detailed explanation what they expect from you.
Better forwarned etc.

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick,
I can only support Dustydog's comments as we had a run in with CG over a stolen caravan. It took about 8 months to get sorted out and it all hinged on their interpretation (or should I say misinterpretation) of phrases they used in their initial questions about the security at the storage site. All was revealed in the recordings of the conversations and the claim finally settled but not without the involvement of the Financial Ombudsman. Please do as Dustydog says and get it all agreed in writing before you sign on the dotted line. Our new van is insured with the Caravan Club.
Best of luck!
Fiona and John

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I re-insured my van with CG today, but I'm at a loss as to why they don't recognize the fact that my car has anti-snaking but my van doesn't, of course they just hid behind the fact that their underwriters didn't recognize it.
Do they know something I don't??
And should this be addressed by the insurance industry that gladly take our money.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Past_it said:
I re-insured my van with CG today, but I'm at a loss as to why they don't recognize the fact that my car has anti-snaking but my van doesn't, of course they just hid behind the fact that their underwriters didn't recognize it.
Do they know something I don't??
And should this be addressed by the insurance industry that gladly take our money.
Do you mean "electronic stability control" type system?
If your caravan starts to snake I'm not sure ESC will help whereas an ATC on the caravan could be useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts