Caravan Jack

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys, Ray from Australia. I have a Bailey Pageant 16ft single axle and i didn't com with a jack or wheel spanner.
So can anyone tell me the best type of jack to get and the wheel nut size.
Thanks
Ray

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used a hydraulic bottle jack but also had a Alko side lift jack that engaged in the Alko chassis mounted lifting brackets. The bottle was preferable as it could be positioned right under the axle adjacent to the wheel.

Don’t forget that after changing a wheel to retorque after 25-50 miles. Also when fitting a steel spare it will have a different torque to the OEM alloys. If you have an owners manual that should give the figure. Sometimes it is printed on the information label/plate near the door.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
There is specific jack, along with brackets for Bailey's. DONT ever jack on just tge chassis rail, it will bend and break the galvanising. If you don't have/don't want the purpose built brackets and jack then I would advise you get a low profile trolley jack so you can get it under the axle as close to the wheel as possible. A bottle jack is fine until you get a flat tyre, at which point it's too tall to fit underneath any other than the chassis rail (see above!)
As for wheel nut size, check tgey are all a standard hexagonal nut, my Bailey (2019) has WSL nuts that need a specific tool and cannot be undone with a standard socket. Earlier ones had a single WSL as an anti theft measure.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here’s a link showing the Alko Jack and brackets. There are two designs of bracket dependent on the max weight of the caravan. The weight shown at the link is per wheel.
Alko website shows details too.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
After years of trials with useless jacks eg Al-ko side lift, I use the reinforced Purple line triangular chassis brackets ( the new Al-ko brackets are similar) with an original 3 stage Kia Sorento Mk1 hydraulic bottle jack. It is low enough to fit after a flat and rises more than enough to change the wheel. Stable too. Go online to the breakers yards and you can get the jack and handle for £30/40. Most of them have never been used!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
..........If you don't have/don't want the purpose built brackets and jack then I would advise you get a low profile trolley jack so you can get it under the axle as close to the wheel as possible.

https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/threads/caravan-jacking.63985/post-544093

IMO.....a bottle jack is best for lifting a caravan.
Most caravanners carry ramps so in the event of a caravan flat tyre that tyre can be hauled up a ramp to obtain the necessary clearance for the bottle jack.

Reactions: Jim999 and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
https://forums.practicalcaravan.com/threads/caravan-jacking.63985/post-544093

IMO.....a bottle jack is best for lifting a caravan.
Most caravanners carry ramps so in the event of a caravan flat tyre that tyre can be hauled up a ramp to obtain the necessary clearance for the bottle jack.
Agreed, and if your spare wheel is carried on the Alko under slung wheel carrier ( terrible piece of kit) you do have to drive up one of the ramps as trying to withdraw the wheel carrier when the van is on a jack is a safety hazard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the occasiosn when the technician has had to change a caravan tyre, they have used either a bottle jack or hydraulic jack under the axle. Luckily now if we need a wheel change we do not require a jack.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On the occasiosn when the technician has had to change a caravan tyre, they have used either a bottle jack or hydraulic jack under the axle. Luckily now if we need a wheel change we do not require a jack.
It’s called GSI! Get Someone In🤪

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The E and P system, where does it attach to the van , we are told don't try and jack your caravan with the Steady stays, which I agree with. So the E&P system must have extra support,? How is it done.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The E and P system, where does it attach to the van , we are told don't try and jack your caravan with the Steady stays, which I agree with. So the E&P system must have extra support,? How is it done.
It replaces the front and rear steadies and has jacks in the centre to raise the wheels. Standard fit on our caravan.

Reactions: Hutch
May 12, 2019
Visit site
There is specific jack, along with brackets for Bailey's. DONT ever jack on just tge chassis rail, it will bend and break the galvanising. If you don't have/don't want the purpose built brackets and jack then I would advise you get a low profile trolley jack so you can get it under the axle as close to the wheel as possible. A bottle jack is fine until you get a flat tyre, at which point it's too tall to fit underneath any other than the chassis rail (see above!)
As for wheel nut size, check tgey are all a standard hexagonal nut, my Bailey (2019) has WSL nuts that need a specific tool and cannot be undone with a standard socket. Earlier ones had a single WSL as an anti theft measure.
I made the mistake in getting a trolley jack. The problem was that it was only a 2 tonn (2000 kilo) Trolley Jack and full the caravan weighed 1575 and with the trolley jack pushed underneath the axle the jack lever was still quite a way underneath the caravan and it took an enormous effort to push down the 2 inches of travel to lift it. So I bought a 7.5 Tonn Bottle Jack for about £15 off eBay and its very good.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I just bought a scissor jack havn't tried to actually jack up the van yet but i put it under there and i think it will work OK. Hopefuly never need it
Thanks for all your replies
Ray

Reactions: Gafferbill
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a Kojack Hydraulic scissor jack, with the dedicated bolt on jacking points to fit behind the wheels of a single axle caravan. My Coachman came with almost identical jacking points. The early Kojack Hydraulic units had problems leaking, mine has been fine , I carry it in the. Car for use, Just in case.

Reactions: toad a caravan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts