"Caravan & Motorhome" / "Motorhome & Caravan" Show

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
Surprised to find little mention - sum total I think of 3 entries, ever - in the Search feature here for either of the above but is there any broad brush pros & cons of the former in Manchester 2019 or the latter in Birmingham later this week? They appear to be operated by different bodies yet feature a similar logo ... save the for the switched round emphasis between Caravan and Motorhome.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
The Bi-Annual NEC shows are run by the National Caravan Council (NCC), while the EventCity-based shows are run by a private events company.

Not been to the Manchester show, but looking at the venue and exhibitor lists, I guess that the Birmingham shows are bigger. The October show takes over halls 6-20 (11 Halls in total - Hall 16 not used & 13/14/15 do not appear on the map) while the February Camping, Caravanning & Motorhome show, uses halls 1-5. It's still big, but also has tents and Static Caravans on show. I think the CCM show tends more populated by the domestic caravan/motorhome brands, whereas the MC Show also has Hobby, Dethleffs & the like.

This is a handy map of the October show: https://mcshow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/OCT-2018-FINAL-MASTER.pdf - I think its about a 2KM walk to do a loop of the show.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We often pop along to the NEC show, it's not too far from us.
The pro's are that shows such as these allow those interested to see what's new in terms of ideas, layouts etc;
A potential buyer could get a good idea of current prices and discounts available on new caravans.
Dealers are competing for trade at these shows so discounts can often be negotiated and deals done.
The accessory and awning market is well represented, with some discounted products available.
Many caravan parks offer small discounts for bookings taken at the shows.
Parking is free with free courtesy bus travel from car parks to the halls, and disabled visitors can obtain free tickets for their carers on production of a blue badge at the on -site ticket offices.

The con's are that it's all too easy to become caught in the moment and to agree to buy very expensive goods when they only went along to have a quick look round or to pick up some toilet chemicals.
Buyers can be tempted by substantial discounts to buy from dealerships miles away from home, so that servicing and any repair work needed in the future can become problematic.
It's often much better to negotiate a similar deal with a local dealer.
It's all too easy if not buying a caravan to return home laden with caravan accessories that will hardly ever be used or are expensive because they are associated with caravanning.
At the NEC you can waste a lot of time if you enter at the motorhome end of the show, and if you're not careful you can end up with armfuls of brochures, plastic bags advertising various caravan parks and reams of bumf that you'll never get round to reading.

I can't think of anything else offhand, but I'm sure that others who have been will add to my list.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
We often pop along to the NEC show, it's not too far from us.
The pro's are that shows such as these allow those interested to see what's new in terms of ideas, layouts etc;
A potential buyer could get a good idea of current prices and discounts available on new caravans.
Dealers are competing for trade at these shows so discounts can often be negotiated and deals done.
The accessory and awning market is well represented, with some discounted products available.
Many caravan parks offer small discounts for bookings taken at the shows.
Parking is free with free courtesy bus travel from car parks to the halls, and disabled visitors can obtain free tickets for their carers on production of a blue badge at the on -site ticket offices.

The con's are that it's all too easy to become caught in the moment and to agree to buy very expensive goods when they only went along to have a quick look round or to pick up some toilet chemicals.
Buyers can be tempted by substantial discounts to buy from dealerships miles away from home, so that servicing and any repair work needed in the future can become problematic.
It's all too easy if not buying a caravan to return home laden with caravan accessories that will hardly ever be used or are expensive because they are associated with caravanning.
At the NEC you can waste a lot of time if you enter at the motorhome end of the show, and if you're not careful you can end up with armfuls of brochures, plastic bags advertising various caravan parks and reams of bumf that you'll never get round to reading.

I can't think of anything else offhand, but I'm sure that others who have been will add to my list.

But the burgers are good and it’s a day out!!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Parksy said:
...The con's are that it's all too easy to become caught in the moment and to agree to buy very expensive goods when they only went along to have a quick look round or to pick up some toilet chemicals.

I live not far from the NEC so often go to these shows. I actually purchased my caravan at the February show. This allowed me to get the manufacturer incentive and to get a good deal. Luckily a local dealer has a presence at the shows so I could get quotes from other dealers then go to my preferred one to hammer out a deal.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:

We usually take our own sandwiches and have a coffee on the mezzanine.

CustardAvenger said:
I live not far from the NEC so often go to these shows. I actually purchased my caravan at the February show. This allowed me to get the manufacturer incentive and to get a good deal. Luckily a local dealer has a presence at the shows so I could get quotes from other dealers then go to my preferred one to hammer out a deal.
I'm in the Black Country, about half an hour up the M6 on a good day.
We did the same when we bought our first ever new caravan, we had a good discount.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Parksy said:
otherclive said:

We usually take our own sandwiches and have a coffee on the mezzanine.

CustardAvenger said:
I'm in the Black Country, about half an hour up the M6 on a good day.
We did the same when we bought our first ever new caravan, we had a good discount.

About the same Parksy... 20mins or so.

The Caravan shows are about the cheapest shows at the NEC to go to, usually there is a £10-15 parking charge for other shows so we always take food with us to keep it a cheap day out (unless you purchase a caravan). But you do get some people looking down at you (literally) as you find a place to to sit on the floor to eat, as there are always a minimal amount of seats!

Last time I was there we sat in a Coachman caravan, the Coachman stand was huge but very sparse compared to Swift. We could have eaten our lunch in that van with no-one bothering us!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We usually manage to find seats of one sort or another where the brightly painted upright pianos are, and there are lots of others who also take a picnic lunch. Sometimes we've been lucky enough to be there when somebody bangs a tune out of one of the pianos.
If you feel that somebody's looking down their nose at you for bringing sandwiches just stare unblinking straight at them and offer them a bite.The snobby types soon clear off when I do it. :lol:
You can take the boy out of Tipton.....

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Parksy said:
We usually manage to find seats of one sort or another where the brightly painted upright pianos are, and there are lots of others who also take a picnic lunch. Sometimes we've been lucky enough to be there when somebody bangs a tune out of one of the pianos.
If you feel that somebody's looking down their nose at you for bringing sandwiches just stare unblinking straight at them and offer them a bite.The snobby types soon clear off when I do it. :lol:
You can take the boy out of Tipton.....[/quote

We are going tomorrow and taking sandwiches which we do every year. We have had strange looks so I just look back at them and slurp my coffee. Strangely enough they get a sick look on their faces and turn away, I carry on enjoying my sandwiches.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As long as it Smoked Salmon and cucumber Sarnies,
Lightweights food, washed down with a Creme de Menthe Frappe no doubt.

Luncheon meat doorstep and a bottle of brown ale in the Swift Section. Served by the Butler of Course.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
As long as it Smoked Salmon and cucumber Sarnies,
Lightweights food, washed down with a Creme de Menthe Frappe no doubt.

Luncheon meat doorstep and a bottle of brown ale in the Swift Section. Served by the Butler of Course.

Jeeves! Another packet of Wotsits and unwrap me a Penguin, there's a good chap.

Aug 27, 2019
Visit site
I'll be off to my first Caravan and motorhome show next month in Hampshire. Not to purchase a van, but it'll give me some ideas.

My daughter is coming with me, I've booked a B&B for the night, despite not living too far away.

Any tips regarding parking at these events, can you park close by etc?

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
TriciaA said:
I'll be off to my first Caravan and motorhome show next month in Hampshire. Not to purchase a van, but it'll give me some ideas.

My daughter is coming with me, I've booked a B&B for the night, despite not living too far away.

Any tips regarding parking at these events, can you park close by etc?
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/recent

I don't know about the Hampshire show, but there is ample parking at the NEC one and it is "free" (included in the cost of your ticket).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts