Caravan newbies

Dec 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi we are relatively new to caravanning had a few disasters but it hasn’t put me off we were reversing our caravan onto the storage pitch using our motor mover we unhitched put handbrake on is it normal for the caravan to move slightly back the pitch does slope back thanks

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Welcome to the forum. We find a small movement of the van back onto the handbrake is normal. Always makes me reach for the grab handles though 😀
Mel

Dec 24, 2022
Visit site
Hi thanks for that I can vaguely remember someone telling me this just didn’t want it to roll into the caravan behind lol I’ve placed chocks under the wheel now thanks 😊

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Preece64 Welcome to the forum we also had a slight movement on our van but made sure the handbrake is pulled up and motor mover .

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Preece 64 welcome to the forum, it is normal for the caravan to "roll" back about 6 inches from putting the handbrake on, you will notice as the van rolls back the handbrake will also rise to a fully on position, this is in the fully set brake on situation.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
When stopping and before unhitching after reversing I usually pull the caravan forward about 6 inches to extend the damper bellows, thus also deactivating the auto-reverse mechanism in the brakes, then put the caravan handbrake on. I have never experienced the 'roll-back- that you describe before the handbrake bites. I think this is why you are advised to pull the caravan forwards onto any levelling blocks used on the pitch. Also stops the damper extending into the bumper as you raise the coupling off the hitch. If using the mover then why not engage the rollers before unhitching as this would also prevent any roll-back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts