Caravan overturned on M1

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Driving back this morning on a smart four lane section of the M1 north of Tibshelf services the gantries started to show reduced speed limit and lanes 2-4 progressive closed. The incident was a Discovery 2 with a Bailey Ranger. It must only have happened as the police were not there but maintenance gangs were putting out cones around the accident. The caravan was on its side facing south in lane 4. The D2 was facing north in lane 3 with its rear wheels raised by the van.
Fortunately the elderly couple were standing by the outfit with survival blankets on and maintenance chaps with them.

No idea what caused it as the M1 was relatively light on traffic at the time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So often seems Discovery type 4x4supposedly the towers dream car. High,c of g or other reason?
I had a D2 and despite its many and various faults I had no concerns when towing. The accident outfit was a single axle Ranger well within a D2 capability but there are a number of reasons why the outfit overturned but only those involved will know. But finishing up in lanes 3 and 4 not nice even on a relatively uncrowded motorway.

Must admit I’m not keen on four lanes with no hard shoulder fir many miles. But the progressive reduction of speed limits and lane closures via the gantries worked very well with minimal traffic delay.
On the so called Smart motorways with no hard shoulder if towing I rarely if ever venture from lane 1; self preservation for self and passengers kicks in !!

Reactions: JezzerB and Hutch
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Driving back this morning on a smart four lane section of the M1 north of Tibshelf services the gantries started to show reduced speed limit and lanes 2-4 progressive closed. The incident was a Discovery 2 with a Bailey Ranger. It must only have happened as the police were not there but maintenance gangs were putting out cones around the accident. The caravan was on its side facing south in lane 4. The D2 was facing north in lane 3 with its rear wheels raised by the van.
Fortunately the elderly couple were standing by the outfit with survival blankets on and maintenance chaps with them.

No idea what caused it as the M1 was relatively light on traffic at the time.
I think that Instead of "smart motorways" they should be called "Danger motorways"

Reactions: WayneS and JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts