Caravan Rules - Living etc

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello

I know there are several posts about this topic and i have slaved my way through them but haven't found my answer so sorry for boring you all again ;)

I am a young professional female who is looking to live in a caravan *full time*. I've grown up with camping/caravan holidays in all sorts of conditions so i know what to expect. Moving out by myself is not financially possible but the van option is.

So, i know about the law of not being able to stay in for the full 12 months just 10 at some sites but......the last 2 months can the caravan stay there just not with me living in it (move back in with parents) or would i have to shift it off site?

I would use parents as a fixed address for post/insurances etc. I am also based in north wales not sure if this is dependent on the area.

Anything to help answer my monotonous question would be very helpful B)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Doesn't it all depend on the planning permission conditions for the site you choose? Certain members of the community have dedicated full time caravan sites, so those conditions should be available to all.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It will vary from site to site. Certainly my in laws kept their caravan sites at one time and could leave it there when the site was closed. but others that I know of want it moved. Some have winter storage facilities and move the caravan there for you. I think the answer is simply to find the site you like and ask them.
You will find some that do not close at all in winter but others have licensing conditions that prevent long stays so there is no hard and fast rule.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Full time caravanning can be done, but I would suggest that you don't burn all your bridges at first. Even though you may be a seasoned camper, you may not have fully considered all the realities of trying to live in a caravan that is essentially designed as a tourer. When it comes to winter time, modern caravan are probably better than older ones regarding thermal insulation.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The site my van on is a seasonal and open all year can come and go as we please, there is at least one person there living in his tourer all the time, so as others have said check with the site and there rules/regulations.
By the way ours is in Cornwall. Good luck.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Finding a site in North Wales that is open all year is not amazingly easy: I have looked. However do not discount 5 van sites as they may well allow you you 12 months of pitching at a reasonable rate.
(Btw, Ruallt country park caravan site is open 12 months of the year and takes seasonal tourers)
Good luck
Mel

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I have been living in my caravan for the last six months.

I originally planned to move around all the CLs in the area to establish a shortlist of suitable sites - close to work, reasonable price, good internet!

In fact I ended up using just a couple of sites, over the winter, moving between them every 28 days. This suited me as I get a weekend off work every 4 weeks.

The official ruling on CLs is that the caravan has to be removed after 28 days and has to stay away (I think) for 2 nights.

4 weeks always seemed a decent length of time to stay in one place - it never felt like I was packing up as soon as I had arrived and I looked forward to the change in outlook.

I'm now on a seasonal pitch until November.

Lengths of seasons vary from park to park and some are open all year and may offer a summer seasonal pitch and a winter seasonal pitch.

This is unusual, though, the norm is 9 or 10 months.

The site I'm on offer winter storage for a small sum. This is quite common and the seasonal 'vans simply remain on their pitches throughout the winter until the park reopens in the spring.

So, what you're thinking about would be perfectly feasible if you didn't want to move around over the winter.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
tenpole said:
Would a static be a better option rather than a tourer. Some of the new statics are like mini houses with everything.

I would not touch a static, you are at the mercy of the site operator. On one site I know of after 10 years you are told it is too old and must be replaced. You cannot tow it off and an irishman then turns up and offers you something silly for it. There are good operators but they might sell out and even they like to keep the statics modern so you will always be faced with the problem at some time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts