caravan site TV connection to caravan

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi all

I will be using a superior pitch and they have a TV point on the post. I have an external satellite point in the battery box and internal TV and SAT connections. The site have told me I need a male to male connector lead as their post is female. My question is what would I need to connect a male coaxial lead to the sat point externally, then from the internal sat point to my freeview TV which has a female coaxial connection.

Please help!!

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Its worth also buying a few adaptors for normal tv as well.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellite-Coax-Male-Adapter-F-Type-Female-to-RF-TV-Aerial-Connector-Coaxial-/352612381282?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi all

I will be using a superior pitch and they have a TV point on the post. I have an external satellite point in the battery box and internal TV and SAT connections. The site have told me I need a male to male connector lead as their post is female. My question is what would I need to connect a male coaxial lead to the sat point externally, then from the internal sat point to my freeview TV which has a female coaxial connection.

Please help!!

You need a standard coax connector lead from the post to the van. At the van external satellite point plug in that lead using one of the converters. Then use the other converter from the internal sat point to link to you TV fly lead.

Converters, coax to F connectors.

John

Aug 6, 2021
Visit site
Thank you. The site connection is not a satellite connection but a normal arial type so I would need presumably a male to male arial lead from the site to my van, an adaptor at the external point of the van, then an adaptor inside the van to plug my TV arial lead to??

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. The site connection is not a satellite connection but a normal arial type so I would need presumably a male to male arial lead from the site to my van, an adaptor at the external point of the van, then an adaptor inside the van to plug my TV arial lead to??

Nearly. Regardless of if it is RF (that’s normal TV coax plugs) or ‘F’ connectors the wire is the same. So all you need is two converters as I linked to earlier.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site

I would just expand a little. The best option is to buy a bag of F-type plugs, a bag of TV plugs (technically known as Belling-Lee plugs,) a bag of back-to-back F-type sockets and a length of WF100 cable all from Screwfix or Toolstation. The bags of 10 will cost you about the same as a pack of two from a DIY shed.

Make up long cables with F-type plugs on the end. Sites usually recommend 25m so I made a 15m and a 10m so that I have a cable length option - remember signal gets attenuated by the cable. Doing it this way means that if you ever go satellite you already have the cables.

The sat connector in the battery box should go straight to the sat connector near your TV. You will need to make one short cable F to B-L for the pillar connection and one a bit longer to go from the sat connector inside to the TV. Finally you will need some sort of sleeve to keep water out of the pillar adapter connection.

Note: F-type connections are rated for the full frequency range that satellite requires but Belling-Lee connectors are not, plus F-type give a much more solid connection. The cable for Freeview TV (from aerail or pillar) is the same as that used between a satellite dish and the sat box inside the caravan.

There is lots of info on line how to fit F-type and B-L plugs correctly to the cable. You will ideally need a Stanley knife or similar and a pair of electronics wire cutters.

One last thought: have you checked whether or not you can receive a TV signal directly on your aerial? IMO the comments about poor TV reception in the CMC sites handbook seem to relate to analogue days - digital TV is very different.

Reactions: Dustydog and Anseo
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

Please help!!
There are two types of co-axial plugs - one male and one female,the female one has a hole up through the centre pin the male has a solid centre pin.
The connection on the tv is always female therefore the connector on the aerial cable needs to be male.
The tv connection on the post will be female so your cable to the the tv will need to have a make connector at each end,
You can get male to female adapters that change a male to a female connection and vice versa

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Check your battery compartment box, in mine a 2013, we have a sattelite connector and a standard TV connector, you might be over thinking things.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
What you need is the simple F-Type to co-ax adaptor. Caravans supplied with F-Type and Co-Ax connections at the TV point usually come with this adaptor. Basically the male co-ax connects to a female on the adaptor, and the F-Type (threaded) just screws on.

F-Type is what you find at the rear of your Sky box etc. My caravan has an F-Type or sat connector in the battery box, but is connected to a standard co-ax at the TV points.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts