Caravan spacing in Holland

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Obviously a lot of space between!
Seriously, is this another Internet Explorer 9 problem - if so, see Parksy's (Our website post) for information in how to make sure your posts appear properly.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
That seems to have sorted it, thanks for the info Val A.
As I was trying to say, the way the owner of the site in Koningshof, Rijnsburg Holland was packing vans in had to be seen to be believed the spacing between vans in some cases ( most) was as little as 3 feet, the consequences in case of a fire do not bear thinking about. Anyone else had experience of this practice in Holland?

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Not in Holland, as we have only stayed there in low season, but in Belgium and Germany many vans were at least that close, same in Switzerland.

There, we had a tent so close that they had actually pegged a guyline UNDER the back end of our van.

I queried the required minimum spacing, and was told it was 50cm.

Total madness!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been to Koningshof twice and would concur they do tend to pack them in or at least it feels that way. We have been on other Dutch sites where we have had much more room, in fact the 3 Dutch sites we stayed at this year were all quite generous in comparison to Koningshof. One example below.

David

DeGraspol9.jpg

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We pitched on a site for the Munich beer festival, went out to the festival and came home and went to bed. When we got up in the morning we couldn't get out of the van as someone had pitched their tent right up against the door!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I have seen the consequences of a fire on camp site.................quite, quite horrendous, and I do think we are being complacent here, appart from a complaint to the site operator we must also complain in the strongest terms to .C.C. or C & C C. it is only a matter of time until a tragedy occurs because of this practice.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I should imagine that they could begin by removing them from from the site book listings unless they comply with current fire safety procedures as a minimum.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That will really be a big problem for them, If they are getting that many caravans & motor homes that they a squeezing them in 2 or 3 feet apart, I doubt if it would worry them at all. On all the sites that I have been on in Europe, the British have been a tiny minority and frankly not worth worrying about.

Steve W

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
This is the reply to a complaint I sent to Koningshof at least it shows they are aware there is a problem and are going to do something about it.
Dear **********
We appreciate your inputtowards your experience on our park.

Whilst we fullyunderstand your point of view, reality shows that rules and regulations on thecontinent are different from the UK.
I can guarantee you thatwe operate fully within all rules and regulation matters.

Nevertheless, we see thatnew legislation/regulation/insurance conditions are getting geared upconsidering changes in the same regulations and the fact that caravans/tentsare getting bigger and bigger.

Coming from a pointwhereby caravans/tents are within a feet from each other, to nowadays anaverage of a meter or more, we expect this distance to be 3 meters within a fewyears or less. This process takes time, which I hope youunderstand. At the same time I am sorry that I can not offer you more atthe moment than the conclusion that British standards are not seen asapplicable on the continent/ in The Netherlands.

Yours sincerely,

Philip Kromhout

Recreatiecentrum Koningshof
Elsgeesterweg 8
2231 NW Rijnsburg / Holland

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At least you got a pretty comprehensive reply? INteresting that he thinks greater spacing rules will apply in the near future. Had we all lived in mainland Europe rather than the UK we would have accepted the spacing without question I expect. It is one of the problems of touring in Europe and trying to apply the same rules we have at home if only in our minds eye. Koningshof is not the only site in Holland or else where in Europe where pitches seem crowded together. I have just been working on a route through northern and central Spain and am horrified to find the size of pitches being quoted at between 50 and 70 sq mts on some sites and its similar in Italy although fortunately some sites have pitches of a more acceptable size.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts