Caravan streaks/light lens advice please.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Washed caravan yesterday(2015 Unicorn Cadiz).
Looked really nice when I finished except I could see the black streaks on rear of caravan.
Tried Fenwicks,Silky, Aldi black streak remover and the only product which 90% removed them was Autoglym resin polish.
I say the polish removed them but when I ran my fingers across the caravan panel,I could still feel them(a bit like tram lines).
Only thing I can think of is they haven't been completely removed previously and the polish has now formed a protective layer over the top of them.
Maybe needs someone like Tourershine to remove all the layers and then use products recommended by them in the future.

Secondly,I notice my N/S rear led indicator lens has about 5 of the lights not working.(I think there are about 16 in total).
Looked on Prima Leisure website and they supply them (1) with the 2 wires.
£52 😪😪
Just wondering if I purchased one of these it would remedy the problem or does the fault lie much deeper with the electrics?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Washed caravan yesterday(2015 Unicorn Cadiz).
Looked really nice when I finished except I could see the black streaks on rear of caravan.
Tried Fenwicks,Silky, Aldi black streak remover and the only product which 90% removed them was Autoglym resin polish.
I say the polish removed them but when I ran my fingers across the caravan panel,I could still feel them(a bit like tram lines).
Only thing I can think of is they haven't been completely removed previously and the polish has now formed a protective layer over the top of them.
Maybe needs someone like Tourershine to remove all the layers and then use products recommended by them in the future.

Secondly,I notice my N/S rear led indicator lens has about 5 of the lights not working.(I think there are about 16 in total).
Looked on Prima Leisure website and they supply them (1) with the 2 wires.
£52 😪😪
Just wondering if I purchased one of these it would remedy the problem or does the fault lie much deeper with the electrics?

Difficult to say but I suspect its fault with the light LED array. I had an external awning light with LEDs and at times all would light, then sometimes one or two would be blank. If they were conventional bulbs you would just swop one and try it. Such is progress. I would remove it and test it with 12 volts supply as first step. then if not working fit a new unit.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
IMO the individual LED’s have gone, so they will all need replacing. They will likely be on a pcb designed for that application.

A possible (but doubtful) work around might be to do as I did on my van. I have an offside led strip light for use when changing the water at night. It’s essentially a plastic tube 500-600 mm long, with an aluminium reflecting strip pushed through it with an led ribbon glued to it. You can simply cut these to length. The original was badly made and poorly specified. So half the led’s failed early. It was easy to strip it down and rebuild with a new strip. This is still going about 5 years later.

I was simply going to replace it but was not prepared to pay the silly money being asked.

The LED’s are often in 5m rolls, but these might work, 5 lots of 30cm. Waterproof, £6. How long do you need?

John

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeandAde
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Agree with JC. If some of the leds are working in that cluster, the fault lies with that fitment. It clearly has power getting to it and no shorts to earth. Swap the lamp all will be well.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Agree with JC. If some of the leds are working in that cluster, the fault lies with that fitment. It clearly has power getting to it and no shorts to earth. Swap the lamp all will be well.

I do agree with you, but I don't like to be beaten by inanimate objects (particularly poorly made ones), if I can find a cheap work around. But that isn’t for us all.

£6 v £52. For example.

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ade I had some stubborn black streaks that I couldn’t get off and I tried Tesco’s own brand of CIF it’s just called Tesco cream cleanser, it’s been mentioned on here not to use CIF which is the proprietary but that’s more gritty so I’d avoid it, the tesco brand if you rub it between your finger you won’t feel anything gritty and I used it and the stubborn streaks disappeared with very little effort, worth a try.

BP

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
As suggested by otherclive(thank you),,I'm going to remove the rear indicator lenses (the first dry weekend we get),and test with 12v.
Would it be advisable to disconnect the caravan battery first for removal and re-fitting or just make sure its not plugged into the car.(I have a fully charged spare battery to do the testing).
Thanks.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts