caravan towing

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
For many years I toured the states in a fifth wheel, and also toured europe in a fifth wheel, these days I have a caravan, being over 70 that is about my limit. I remember a caravan I bought in the UK that was american from the fairground people, it was a 26foot american with the wheels set towards the back and one hell of a nose weight, I stuck it on the back of my landcruiser and without a care in the world and with complete disregard to hitch weights and the like set off. Later when in the states I saw what is called an equaliser hitch where you can hook your caravan up to the tow ball of a front drive car and take off the rear wheels and still drive off down the road.
I shipped one back connected it all up and for the rest of the time with that outfit used that type of hitch, never did take off the rear wheels as it was a 4x4.
Also for interest only I read the motorhome forum, and I get the impression that they do not care for tuggers, but their opinion does not really tally with my experience, I have owned in the past about everything going I have even tripled towed across america, I cannot reply to the comments on the forum as I have not joined but it does make interesting reading. My very first motorhome was a 38ft american petrol with on a good day 6 to the gallon. plus a motorbike and a car four wheels down being towed all across europe, and yes I have been stopped by the police sometimes fined sometime not.
To go back to a thread I posted some time ago about my tow ball being too high on a new car. I have spoken to one of the top men at Westfalia and they are seeing what they can come up with. Chevrolet has said that they have designed the tow ball to be set at the highest level as opposed to midway or at the lower end on cars with a capacity to carry 7 people. They admit it rules out a lot of caravans but that is the way they decided to design it. They also agree that a caravan should be towed level or slightly nose down, which in my case it was not. Also as a gesture of goodwill will refund all costs that I have incurred. That was fine by me as I can now concentrate on getting an adjustable hitch.
For years I associated caravaners with flat caps and a pipe, bit like Top Gears Jeremy, but having converted I have retracted all I have ever said about it, either that or things have drastically changed, because I have had some very good advice from this forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bopeep,

I am pleased that you have had answers from the manufacturers, although what they say is not particularly helpful.

It is really difficult to identify how the tow-bar arrangements have gone wrong - is it the vehicle manufacture or is it the tow-bar manufacture, or a combination of both?

Without reference to the type approval documentation I cannot see how the towing problem can be apportioned, and it is unlikely that Chevrolet would issue them to me anyway.

I am very concerned at another bit of information you report:
"They also agree that a caravan should be towed level or slightly nose down"

A car manufacture cannot know what the caravan manufactures intentions are regarding the towed attitude of the caravan. That is down to the caravan designer to decide when considering the legal range for nose heights

Given the EU regulations regarding towed nose heights it is possible and legal for some caravans to assume a slight nose up attitude. Admittedly the potential inclination is small but none the less possible. Also despite looking I have found no technical or engineering evidence that indicates a nose up attitude is any less desirable than level or nose down.

I will be interested to find out what Westfalia do to resolve your towing problem. If they provide an alternative tow-bar assembly make sure you get a written indemnity from them regarding any present or future liability if the tow-bar or its fitting incurs any penalties for none compliance.

Please keep us informed.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The tow ball manufacture has had to build the tow ball to chevrolets specifications, so the designers at chevy are the ones that are at fault in this case. I am not sure exactly how to copy the very informative letter they sent me on to this site, it would have explained all.
I am hoping from the conversation with westfalia that they will make me a new detachable head but two inches lower, and no I am not holding my breath, I am told it will take some time to resolve.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even if an Astra towbar were to fit, which I doubt, if only because of a different rear bumper configuration, it would have to be type approved for the Orlando to be legal.
By the way, there are 3 different towbars for the 2004-2009 Astra, depending on which model (saloon, coupe, estate car)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts