Caravan TV Programme

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone else watch the programme about caravans on TV last night? It was on BBC 4. It was a real treat to see all the old cars and caravans, and to learn a bit of history about the caravan industry, although it was centred on the rise of the Sprite. There were a couple of ladies featured on the programme, who had towed on their own at a time when this was pretty well unheard of. If you missed the programme I'm sure you'll be able to catch it on iplayer. Lots of happy memories for those of us of a certain age!

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
It has been on a few times, but I still watched it again. Did you see how many caravanners didn't use mirror extensions? Picky of me, I know. Perhaps they weren't compulsory in black and white? :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The legal requirement is to have adequate rear vision - whilst virtually all towing vehicles need mirror extensions to achieve this nowadays it's the vision that's a requirement, not the mirrors.

In "olden days", ie up until 10 years ago, virtually all caravans had rear windows and many outfits had acceptable "through-vision" - indeed going back further Swift's used to have specifically low front-rear windows to improve the through-vision with a cunning arrangement to lower the dinette tables so they didn't impede the view.

For caravans with higher windows it used to be possible to buy a periscope system which attached to the top of the windscreen and looked back over the top of the car.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......there wasn't a requirement to have external mirrors on any car in the UK until 1978 (or around then).
Wing mirrors were an extra and extension mirrors almost unheard of !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts