Caravan Tyre Load Rating Index.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Some thoughts needed here guys.

I had originally intended to buy a set of Hankook tyres but cancelled them in lieu of some advice.

The MTPLM on my caravan, single axle is 1735 kg and it is currently fitted with Durun 195/70R15C 104/102R

The load index for 102 is 850kg (x2 1700kg) and 104 is 900kg (x2 is 1800kg). As I understand it, where a tyre is marked 104/102, its the higher figure that applies to caravans. Even working off the 104 rating, 1800kg doesnt seem to be giving much redundancy. The question is would you guys go a higher load rating than this?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The lower load index is for twinned tyres. The higher for single tyres. 1800kg is therefore okay for your caravan but like you it does seem close to the MTPLM. However there will be a margin in the tyre design to allow it to run at its max load. Also tyres on a caravan will run slower than their max continuous speed rating as the caravan is limited to 60 mph and the tyres will be designed for use on such vehicles as delivery vans. However somewhile back when there was a spate of tyre failures the caravan industry moved to upgrade its offering and recommended a 10% above MTPLM and also started to fit better quality tyres from mid/premium makes.
I had a Bailey which had a payload upgrade which left me -20kg on the MTPLM compared to the combined LI. Bailey reckoned that was okay. But I uprated the tyres even though I was advised that they would shake the van to bits. No they didn’t.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much my thoughts, but Im struggling to find anything 8 ply above 104s. I also struggling to get any joy on the age of the tyres as all the mobile fitters are saying they could be as old as 2017 manufacture, and I dont intend to get caught like that again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Pretty much my thoughts, but Im struggling to find anything 8 ply above 104s. I also struggling to get any joy on the age of the tyres as all the mobile fitters are saying they could be as old as 2017 manufacture, and I dont intend to get caught like that again.

Do you mean 2007?
I think Duran are a part of Continental Tyre so quality wise should be okay but I wouldn’t put them on a car where roadholding, anti aqua planing, noise etc are more critical I’ve been using Hankook Vantra LT which are OEM supplied. Why do you want 8 ply surely it’s the Load Index which is important.

Edit PS. The term “ply” is obsolescent and is a left over from days when a tyre strength and load carrying ability were related to the number of plys of reinforcement. Nowadays the correct usage is PR for Ply Rating. So an 8PR may not have eight plys as its description is trying to align with the old construction terminology. The key to its suitability for its role is the Load Index.

Reactions: JTQ
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean 2007?

wouldnt they be antiques? :p

No, 2017 tyres could be up to two and a half years old at time of fitting, which is an idea I wont entertain. Six months is the maxiumum I would accept.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
Do you mean 2007?

wouldnt they be antiques? :p

No, 2017 tyres could be up to two and a half years old at time of fitting, which is an idea I wont entertain. Six months is the maxiumum I would accept.

Understand now. I get mine from Blackcircles or Pneus Online and by going for a mainstream size and make have never had any over 6 months old for our cars or caravans. The only way to get around any uncertainty is to buy off the shelf from a local supplier and eyeball the stock. Unless of course the mobile fitter will accept an age limit as a condition of sale.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
.... The only way to get around any uncertainty is to buy off the shelf from a local supplier and eyeball the stock. Unless of course the mobile fitter will accept an age limit as a condition of sale.

As the purcahser you can make that a stipulation of the purchase. If the supplier can't match your specification they will just have to accept they have lost the sale.

I do suggest that you don't make the age a ridiculoulsy low figure as tyres for niche markets like caravans will take time to be produced and shipped. 6 months might be too short and therefore unrealistic. I think 12 months wold be more reasonable.

Alternatively you could suggest that for every 6 months of age you need a further 10% discount on the cost of the the tyre.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
otherclive said:
.... The only way to get around any uncertainty is to buy off the shelf from a local supplier and eyeball the stock. Unless of course the mobile fitter will accept an age limit as a condition of sale.

As the purcahser you can make that a stipulation of the purchase. If the supplier can't match your specification they will just have to accept they have lost the sale.

I do suggest that you don't make the age a ridiculoulsy low figure as tyres for niche markets like caravans will take time to be produced and shipped. 6 months might be too short and therefore unrealistic. I think 12 months wold be more reasonable.

Alternatively you could suggest that for every 6 months of age you need a further 10% discount on the cost of the the tyre.

Prof
The days of caravan tyres being a niche market have passed. I’d suggest most modern caravans use C rated tyres or tyres suited to mainstream automotive applications. It’s the size and LI that determines suitability. To my knowledge only two companies make specific trailer tyres and that GT Radial and Kendo. In both cases the sidewalls are clearly embossed “trailer use only”.

If you buy mainstream tyres from the larger outlets you get younger tyres.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some thoughts needed here guys.

I had originally intended to buy a set of Hankook tyres but cancelled them in lieu of some advice.

The MTPLM on my caravan, single axle is 1735 kg and it is currently fitted with Durun 195/70R15C 104/102R

The load index for 102 is 850kg (x2 1700kg) and 104 is 900kg (x2 is 1800kg). As I understand it, where a tyre is marked 104/102, its the higher figure that applies to caravans. Even working off the 104 rating, 1800kg doesnt seem to be giving much redundancy. The question is would you guys go a higher load rating than this?

Where tyres have dual load ratings, eg 104/102, it's the higher that should be used for caravans - the lower rating is only used for twin-wheel vehicles, eg Transit tipper trucks - so not used for single or twin axle caravans.

Convention is that caravans need 10% above their MTPLM as the weights across the axle may not be equal.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a twin axle with MTPLM 2000kg so the minimum LI should be 550kgs however 600kg would be preferable that may be a problem if looking for a car tyre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts