Caravan tyres

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
So long as you make him aware exactly what you require, yes. Most importantly, apart from the obvious information regarding size and diameter, you must give him details of the necessary load rating as this is very often higher than normally encountered on cars. A tyre dealer serving mainly cars will therefore probably not have the tyres that you need in stock but will have to order them.

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Again the answer is Yes, best bet is to take you old tyre along so they can match it. I recently changed mine and only problem is that they never had stock - had to order them in for the next day. I used National Tyres in the end. Expect to pay around

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I had my tyres changed a few weeks ago. I ordered them from the local Kwik Fit but when I took the caravan in they said they couldn't change them as I had Tyron bands fitted. I got in touch with Kwik Fit mobile who came to my house to fit them.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I got my new tyres from a local independent, the exact same tyres off the shelf, and cheaper than the big company's that either did not have the same load rating or a long wait for them to order them. So its best to shop around and you might be surprised!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin,

The correct tyres for a caravan are 6to8ply tyres which are more or less commercial van tyres because of the weight when fully loaded.hope that helps.Jimbob

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
I was needing a new tyre. I phoned round about 6 local tyre fitters and not one of them was able to help me as none of them had the special tool for taking off the Tyron Bands. I finished up having to go to a Caravan Dealer to get one fitted. (At extra cost though after the dealer had his cut too) Ken

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Martin,

The correct tyres for a caravan are 6to8ply tyres which are more or less commercial van tyres because of the weight when fully loaded.hope that helps.Jimbob
The load carrying capacity of a tyre has nothing directly to do with it being 6 or 8 ply, although the two generally go hand in hand. It is perfectly possible for a 4 ply tyre to provide an adequate load index.

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
kenneth.

you should have got a tool for taking tyron bands off from the dealer (if you got your caravan from one) if not get in touch with tyron on the web( thourgh google ) i think you can buy them for about a tenner it will save you a bit of money in the long run.

I go to ATS with my tyron tool and they change the tyre for just a few pounds more to cover there time.

Dave

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks David. When I went to ATS they did ask me if I had the special tool. They didn't have one as they don't do enough caravan tyres to warrant the expense of buying one. Ken

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...Just for the record.

Garfield's tyre purchase and the price he achieved will reflect the fact that his twin axle caravan will be correctly fitted with lower load specification tyres than a single axle.

He probably purchased 4 far more readily available car load specification tyres.. Hence the low price per tyre.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
The trouble with most tyre suppliers is that they do not know what type of tyre is required for a caravan unless you can quote & insist on the correct Load & speed rateings as well as the tyre size

Kwick fit do have a service for fitting /removing Tyron bands but it is a mobile service but their tyre prices are usually well above the normal prices

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
The trouble with most tyre suppliers is that they do not know what type of tyre is required for a caravan unless you can quote & insist on the correct Load & speed rateings as well as the tyre size

Kwick fit do have a service for fitting /removing Tyron bands but it is a mobile service but their tyre prices are usually well above the normal prices
If you live near derby, this is the place to go. BAB motors. I'd been trying for 2 weeks to locate some tyres. Tried all the dealers, and no-one gave me any confidence that they knew what I needed. Most had no idea. BAB were brilliant, knew straight away what I had to have, and it appears they fit a lot of van tyres. Excellent.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you have them over there but I have used a franchise mobile service called Hometyre which came to my house. Worked out around

TRENDING THREADS