Caravanners - old and infirm, it seems.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Just received the latest C&CC magazine, and in with it is a brochure (from another company) of items presumably deemed desirable to caravanners.

They are mostly such items as bathing aids, incontinaence precautions, walking aids, bunion treatments, etc. etc.

I think the logic is;

Caravanners tend to be older people. Correct, on average. A caravanner is more likely to be over than under 50.

The media considers anybody over 50 to be old, doddery, and past it. And unable to use a computer or programme a video recorder. Consequently this is what we get marketed at us.

If you ever see the Saga magazine, which is for over 50's, you will know what I mean.

I think their real problem is that when you get to 50 you start to think for yourself, instead of just going with the herd.

If you wear trainers it's because their comfortable, not fashionable.

If you buy an iPod, it's because you want to listen to music, not to look trendy.

And so on.

Despite the size of this demographic, and, overall, a high disposable income, there is nothing they can get a handle on to sell to us, so we get the same treatment as the over 90's.

Personally, I find it hilarious.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My husband on reading your post..........
man2.jpg

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
It can be irritating! My mother is 87 and I'm 56. To all intents and purposes, we are counted as the same age! However, she complains that her favourite magazine "The Oldie" isn't really aimed at oldies at all, but at the 60 somethings!

Also, consider this - Age Concern or Help the Aged (I always get the two confused)advertise themselves as providing services to the over 50s.

My beef is with our local leisure centre, who regularly advertise classes for the over 50s, but they are always during the day. I work full time and so do my family and friends. The leisure centre staff look at me oddly when I ask about classes for the over 50s outside of office hours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa did your husband pose for that well known statue - The Thinker - sitting on the loo in the alltogether. As far as being an old fogey I do not subscribe to the Saga magazine although I have caravan insurance with them. I work on the assumption that age is purely relative. My age is what my mind and body is capable of and not what the calender and birth certificate states. As W. C. Fields said (with apologies to the ladies) when asked about his old age "I am as young as the woman I feel"

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lisa did your husband pose for that well known statue - The Thinker - sitting on the loo in the alltogether. As far as being an old fogey I do not subscribe to the Saga magazine although I have caravan insurance with them. I work on the assumption that age is purely relative. My age is what my mind and body is capable of and not what the calender and birth certificate states. As W. C. Fields said (with apologies to the ladies) when asked about his old age "I am as young as the woman I feel"
..."I work on the assumption that age is purely relative".

I suppose it depends on the age of your relative :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You stupid man - have I got to explain everything to you? - age is relative to how the body thinks, feels and reacts. You could be old in calender years but still feel young and active within the body and mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That told you, Lord B.

Me, I like to keep on the good side of lecturers, be they retired or not.

Apple, Colin?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts