Caravanning in Brittany - Tips Needed!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi all - thinking of taking a trip over to Brittany next summer and was wondering if anyone had any tips on nice, friendly sites they've been to in the past?
Thanks in advance!
James

'Signature' moderated to remove advertising referrence

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi James - Welcome to the Practical Caravan Forum. I'm sure you'll get lots of tips and help on here!
When are you planning on going? if you go outside the peak summer season (mid-July to mid-August) then campsites can be very different, and you can save a considerable amount by using 'discount' schemes such as Camping Cheques, or an ACSI card.
Otherwise, Camping du Letty gets lots of favourable reviews on here, and on another forum I've read lots of good things about Camping Le Cabellou Plage - both of which are directly on to beaches.
Have you costed the ferry yet? If not then have a look at the Camping Cheques website - where they're offering 'Caravans go Free' on some Brittany Ferries sailings. Check the cost directly with BF first, and then compare exact like for like prices.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Brittany is a super region of France with something to appeal to everyone. There are 'all singing and dancing' sites, with prices to match, and some lovely municipal sites for about a third, or less, of the cost. It would help if we knew what sort of sites you looking for so that we can suggest suitable ones.
As far as I can remember, virtually all of the motorways in Brittany are toll-free. It can be cost-effective to use Brittany Ferries rather than a short crossing and an 800 mile round trip. (If you do this, avoid the night crossings as this can bump the price up.) As Val said, shop around and compare prices for crossings and also let us know what sort of sites you are interested in.

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi Val and Jaffa's Dad, thanks for replying.
Val: Unfortunately we can't go outside peak season as my wife is a teacher (grrr). Directly on to beaches sounds perfect, would also be good to have facilities for the kids, maybe a pool and some games like ping pong etc. on-site bike hire would be good too. I'll check out the two you mentioned.
Jaffa's dad: I think we want an all singing all dancing site :-D

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
James - in France even some municipal campsites have pools and ping-pong, plus children's play areas - some even have bars and restaurants! All-singing, all-dancing sites are sites such as Domaine des Ormes, Le Ty Nadan, Les Mouettes, where there are all sorts of other 'activities', entertainment, and water complexes, even golf courses, tree houses, and hotels on some!
Perhaps a good start would be to look at the Eurocamp, Canvas Holidays, Keycamp brochures - and see if there is anything in there that you like the look of. When you've had a look and thought about the sort of sites, then you can go directly to that site's own website and check out prices for 'doing it yourself'. The ACSI card and Camping Cheques websites are good for giving you an easy way of looking through quite a few sites which don't fit any particular 'mould' - but all from within the one website - even if you can't actually use them for your holiday. Just out of interest I've been looking at the Touring Cheques website (www.touringcheque.co.uk - which is yet another discount scheme) and in 2011 Domaine des Ormes took Touring Cheques from the 20th August - so still possible within the school holidays. Again that website will let you look at a range of sites and gives brief details about each.
Even if you can't use Camping Cheques or Touring Cheques for the period of your holiday if you have to holiday during mid-July to mid-August, it's still worth getting a quote from them for the ferry crossing - people have saved more than £200 and got three Camping Cheques worth £43.00 (which can be sold on forums such as this one - so anything you get is an additional saving!).

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Camping Du Letty is then the one for you.
Although directly on the beach - it isn't !!
I know is sounds daft, but there is a run -in behind the beach which is ideal for kid - taught my grandsons to swim there.
Best thing to do is to Google or My Mappy it and go to Satellite , then you will be able to see what I mean.
There is also plenty to do for the kids - they now have a swimming pool.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi James
I too recommend Camping Du Letty.. We went last summer and are booked to return again in 2012. We have been there a number of other years too. You can read my, and others, positive reviews here. My reviews are No1 and No42.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=5461
I recently posted on another website regarding Brittany which may be of use to you - my post is the 12th one.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=264152&PagePosition=1
Best wishes
Tim

TRENDING THREADS