Caravanning With A Dog: Advice Please?

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Hello, my family and I intend to go caravanning in about 3 weeks with our dog, Izzy. She's a medium/large sized dog, staffordshire bull terrier cross. She's good-natured and eager to please, but we are wondering what sort of things we need to know and bring. We believe we will use a crate, but what do we do when we leave her for a few hours? We don't ant to leave her all caged up or anything. One thing about her is that she has 'revenge' things, e.g. we have been teaching her manners; as in we walk in first, rather than being rudely bowled over as we open the door. After coming in finally, she promptly went to our red rug and urinated on it, staring at the rest of my family all the while. She has done similar things multiple times, and we are getting training, but still- she does this, and we need her to be happy and satisfied, but we also want to do things. I know this was a long question, so thank you for answering in advance. :) Any other suggestions will also be taken into account.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The first advice is never leave a dog in a crate with their collar on. They can strangle themselves easily if it gets caught up.

Secondly it's the dogs' holiday as much as yours so don't leave it behind. We always take the dogs with us and whatever we do works around them. If you think you are regularly going to leave the dog behind on holiday then put it in kennels for the duration.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Remember to keep it on a lead at all times that it is outside, We have a slightly longer lead, about 3m and secure that to either a wheel or a stake. You may love your dog, others may not.
We never leave our dog unattended when touring.

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. We don't intend to always leave it behind, it's more like when we want to go grocery shopping, or somewhere else where you can't have a dog keeping you company. Than you again!! :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
First off check with the site they accept your breed of dog, some will some wont!!
Not advisable to leave the dog in the van unattended "just for a few hours", unless you are 100% certain it wont bark and annoy every one on site. Also not advisable if a hot day, same as a car can get very hot in there shut up.
If we take our dog we gear the holiday activities around him, but if we know we are wanting to do other things we are lucky as he stays with the son and his dog, so he gets a holiday as well.
As for the weeing do you make sure he has relieved itself before letting it in the van? Good luck.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Katie_FamilyVan said:
Thank you. We don't intend to always leave it behind, it's more like when we want to go grocery shopping, or somewhere else where you can't have a dog keeping you company. Than you again!! :)

For that sort of thing one of us stays out in the car park with the dogs while the other shops.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As others have said the summer temperatures in a caravan even with vents and windows open can get very hot. Too hot for a dog. If a dog is crated will it has access to water, or can it tip the water bowl over?

One of our dogs had difficult upbringing and we got her at 1 year old. She could wee for England. If I just got up from my seat there would be an upwards fountain. So when we took her in the caravan the seats/beds all had waterproof mattress covers on them, with incontinence covers on top of those, then washable throws too. We have always removed our caravan carpets and use washable rugs too. Pleased to say that now at the age of 10 she's no problem at all.

I hope that you get on okay as I'm sure that you and the dog will enjoy the new adventure, but remember that dogs will all react differently to changed circumstances so don't assume that she will be just the same as at home. Even now one of mine will reject her normal food for a few days in the caravan, so we now pack something we know that she will eat and then she settles down. I think its just a ruse to get Canigou meat and veg, which is a French dog food which she just loves when in France.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
yeah quite right. taking a dog on holiday is a big commitment. and the dogs on holiday as well.
first you need the right site, ask before you book. get a pitch near the dog walk or the entrance so your not exercising the the dog on the site just getting to the dog walk [if they have one].
dont leave the dog in the van on it's own or pegged outside while you go off site, you never know how long you might be if there is a problem. and dont leave it in the car either. if you have to for a short while open the windows a crack or leave the sun roof open. park under shade if the dogs in the car even if you have to try several car parks until you can.
always carry a few litres of water for the dog [and a bowl] they get thirsty quickly on hot days.
keep dogs with you at all times where possible if you visit a cafe or pub sit outside and take the dog.
if you find somewhere that doesn't let you take the dog. go somewhere that does. it is that important.
a dog is part of the family and should be treated as such. we had a saying if you don,t want my dog you don't want my money. a dog seriously curtails some activities you may be used to. these may have to be changed when you take a dog on holiday with you. in a sense you have to put the dog first, not last.
if your not prepared to do this. put it in a kennels while you go. it's better for you and the dog.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Most sites will specify that you must not leave a dog unattended on site - either go shopping alone or at some sites you can arrange to have a delivery of groceries to site.
Lots of sites are very dog friendly and have good knowledge on local places that are dog friendly - we have always found the wardens or other people with dogs on site very helpful when wanting somewhere to go or eat out and take the dog with us.
Also be aware that a lot of beaches have restrictions on dogs for the summer - there is website that shows all the beaches in the UK and whether they are dog friendly or not - just type in dog friendly beaches and it should come up.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Apart from the good advice already given, also make sure the caravan seats are big enough! and the dog gets the best seat!

31608628386_8880bc71c4_c.jpg

31522442804_271f886efd_c.jpg

Only a suggestion, we like to go off cycling and we take our dog with us.

36038042322_aeb227c438_c.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fully agree, with all the previous comment, one thing we noticed recently was our dogs were going off their food, then we noticed that the water supply was highly chlorinated, bought a gallon of bottled water for the dogs and the wife for her tea and all was good again.

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
When we got our second dog ( a 9 wk old labrador), I took him to the van a few times whilst in storage just to get him used to it. That worked a treat, and he was happy as larry from then on.
Personally, we never leave ours on their own in the van. They come everywhere with us and we plan our days around the boys. Mainly our holidays are about relaxing and nice walks. We do sometimes visit towns etc, but we can't really do many attractions or anything as they don't allow dogs.
One option, which you would need to pre plan would be to use a local doggy daycare to the site you stay at. Obviously your dog needs to be dog friendly and you would need to take your vaccine card.

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Dogs don't do revenge, its not something they can process so the weeing is caused by something else. If it was a rescue dog it could be fear but a decent, positive trainer should help.

As to dogs in caravans, mine loves it! In fact, I pretty much bought it for the dog so we could attend agility shows and dog training events. She is happy to hang out in there on her own (she isn't barky though so wont upset anyone) and since I am a single person, this is the only option if I pop out to go shopping. But most things I plan on include her anyway. If you can acclimatise your dog like the earlier post suggests by taking her in then at home and treating her and feeding her in there then it may help her settle when you are away. Perhaps just go for a short weekend away first to check all is well before you end up on a long holiday stuck with a stressed out dog who really doesnt enjoy caravanning! Fingers crossed yours will be like mine and will just chill and relax along with the family!

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Dont wish to be rude,but I have never....ever left any of our dogs in the car for any short period of time no matter how short a time.
Windows cracked open a little.....park in the shade....have you ever sat in a car in the shade with the windows cracked open for maybe 15-30 minutes?.....not very pleasant.
And if anything happened to us while we were away from car?
No matter what the temperature is..warm...hot....if shopping...our dogs come to the shops with us.
One goes in to do shopping..the other is outside with the dogs.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
GeorgeandAde said:
Dont wish to be rude,but I have never....ever left any of our dogs in the car for any short period of time no matter how short a time.
Windows cracked open a little.....park in the shade....have you ever sat in a car in the shade with the windows cracked open for maybe 15-30 minutes?.....not very pleasant.
And if anything happened to us while we were away from car?
No matter what the temperature is..warm...hot....if shopping...our dogs come to the shops with us.
One goes in to do shopping..the other is outside with the dogs.

Iam with you all the way there, but we have a rear door link that allows the hatch to be open and with the windows open allows an airflow through. I SPOTTED IT on a fire service vehicle and asked about it. Great for a quick 15 minute, cool day other wise I sit in the back of the car with the dogs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts