Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week ---- 21st to 27th November

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most of us know the risks of not fitting a smoke alarm. But how many of us take steps to prevent the silent killer in our homes – carbon monoxide?
The deadly gas, which is colourless and odourless yet highly toxic, kills at least 50 people in the UK each year and sees thousands hospitalised.
Yet despite the scary statistics, most households fail to take the few simple steps needed to help save lives.
Only one third of us have a carbon monoxide alarm and two thirds don’t bother to get our fuel appliances, which can leak CO, regularly checked.
Now, for CO Awareness Week (November 21-27), campaigners are desperate to get the message out that CO is dangerous stuff – but that a few easy measures can stop the risks.
Dr Ed Walker, medical advisor to the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, says: “Carbon monoxide is lethal even in small amounts, yet is commonly found in homes and workplaces all over the world.
“As a society we are probably less aware of its dangers than we were 50 years ago, and unless that changes people will continue to die and be severely disabled.”
So what causes CO to leak into our homes – and how can we stop it?
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as oil, paper, wood, coal or petrol are burned incompletely.
If combustion appliances such as boilers, cookers and gas fires are properly installed, ventilated and regularly maintained, the risks are extremely low. But if those appliances are not fitted by a licensed expert, or kept in good working order, unsafe levels of CO can build up – putting our health at risk.
When CO enters the body, it prevents blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues and organs. It can cause brain and heart damage and harm unborn children.
As the Health and Safety Executive puts it: “You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning.
“Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure. [But] taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk.”
Symptoms of poisoning are wide-ranging and can easily be confused with other illnesses. They include headaches, flushing, nausea, trembling, drowsiness, vertigo, weakness, concentration problems, irritability and severe muscle pain.
But while CO poisoning may resemble food poisoning or flu, it does not cause a high temperature. Symptoms may be less severe when you are away from the source of the leak. But the longer you breathe it in, the worse those symptoms will get – with loss of consciousness possible within just two hours if there is a lot of CO in the air.
The problem, of course, is that it is hard to know whether CO is on the loose unless you have an alarm fitted to detect it in your home or place of work. Happily, alarms can cost as little as £12, don’t need to be connected to the mains and are readily available from the likes of British Gas, npower, Tesco and B&Q.
Chris Thewlis, head of operations for npower, comments: “Millions of UK homes could be at risk of a CO leak. But with the help of a carbon monoxide alarm, people will be alerted to the fact that there is a problem and will be able to act.
“It’s not just big leaks that can be detrimental to health: smaller leaks, which emit lower levels of carbon monoxide, can cause serious damage to your health over time.”
Fitting an alarm is a quick DIY task – just make sure you pick one with an audible siren rather than a colour change indicator, and a British Standard EN 50291 mark.
Other than that, it is essential to:
  • Arrange for appliances to be professionally serviced once a year
  • Have chimneys swept and inspected regularly to remove blockages such as birds’ nests or leaves
  • Make sure the building’s ventilation openings are not blocked
  • Fit an extractor fan in your kitchen
  • Always use a safety mask when using chemicals that contain methylene chloride
  • Do not leave petrol-fuelled lawnmowers or cars running in the garage
  • Do not burn charcoal in an enclosed space, such as on an indoor barbecue
Warning signs of a potential CO leak include a yellow or orange rather than blue flame in your gas appliance, soot or yellow and brown staining around it, pilot lights that frequently blow out and increased condensation inside windows in the room where the appliance is installed.
And if you do suspect CO poisoning may be blighting your home or that of a loved one, don’t hang around – seek medical attention straight away, whether from your GP or A&E.
If several people in the same building develop flu-like symptoms without a temperature, and you think it could be linked to a CO leak, you should:
  • Immediately stop using all cooking and heating appliances that use fuel other than electricity
  • Open all of the windows
  • Move away from the source of the CO gas
Lynn Griffiths, founder of the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity, says: “Poisoning can have a devastating effect on someone’s life and the more people who are aware of the symptoms of exposure, especially at the initial stages, the more chance we have of preventing avoidable deaths or injuries.”
For more information see covictim.org.uk; in an emergency, call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
On the advice of my caravan service engineer, I have one in my caravan
smiley-smile.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Me too and one in the house and the gas board come around once a year to check the house boiler. Damian is right; nasty stuff. Kills quickly or leaves you with some very disabling brain damage.
mel

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
When I traded my van in recently I brought one for the new van in Wickes for £12.
Then I needed to replace the one at home - when the battery runs out after a few years you have to throw away the CO detector as well because they lose their effectiveness.
At the moment I am alternating the new one between house and 'van - can't be in both places at the same time! They just hang on a picture hook.

TRENDING THREADS