card usage

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Well where do I start with our trip to Holland.

We stayed at a palce Hilversum.

Biggest problem the Dutch don't takes visa cards. They take one look and say NO.

I'm not just talking credit visa, but also debit visa.

We had to run to the bank a few times and hunt for places who excepted them.

Even the train station office refused our cards ALL OF THEM.

Won't waffle anyway.

Anyone else been there???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We lived there for two and a half years Smiley. We never had the problem with the cards because we had a bank account over there. They are a very nice people in general and we enjoyed our time in Maastricht. CliveV might be interested to know that they were using LPG to power their cars long before the Brits thought about converting cars and it was widely available. There are a few nice attractions dotted around the countryside but local knowledge is a great help with that.

G

I would not really expect any overseas business to accept a Visa debit card, after all the bank is unlikely to be in their own country. However, Visa credit cards are usually accepted, albeit with a fee, in most European countries. What I suspect has happened is that the retailer is turning you away to avoid paying the fee to Visa. If he can get cash, so much the better for him. In addition, there have been many stories of card transactions being altered by using a benevolent (to the retailer) exchange rate, so maybe you actually benefitted from this rejection. You can of course use either your debit or credit card at virtually any bank machine to get cash, ABN/AMRO are everywhere, and you can take out 300 Euros every day, so where is the problem, or do you spend a la Posh Spice in shops????

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I hve a cunning system, or try too.

I use my caravan club card from beginning to end for any holiday so when it's all done and dusted I know what the total price was. I do use cash aswell but that's what I call my pocket money on trivials things.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
C.C Visa is the one to use in Europe. No charges, where as other cards charge 2.75% on each transaction.

The bonus is that you get two 'site night'vouchers the first time that you use it, even if you only use it in Mainland Europe.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

I am almost certain that I read recently that Frizzell were going to start charging on foreign purchases......can't find where I read it though.Maybe someone else has seen it too.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We work in Holland quite a bit, have never had a problem with Visa credit or debit cards. I use a Platinum Barclaycard and Barclays Debit cards on personal and business accounts in Holland end all other European countries. They work in shops, hotels and ATM with no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We work in Holland quite a bit, have never had a problem with Visa credit or debit cards. I use a Platinum Barclaycard and Barclays Debit cards on personal and business accounts in Holland end all other European countries. They work in shops, hotels and ATM with no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you returned or are you still there :O)

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
The first night we arrived went out to eat, found a restuarant in Hilversum ate our meal came to pay by either card CC or bank card and were refused.

Hubby had to leg it to the car (luckily we had left euro cash in glovebox) it took him 10 mins to return has you could not park in the town.

On our last day just as suitcase was going in the boot, what did he find a screw in the tyre. Flat as a pancake.

Luckily we found a place who could repair it, but did we have enough cash no, no, no, the kind man excepted our bank card with a 4.5% charge on top.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts