Carry on Crazy Caravaning

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I'm planning to go abroad for 8 weeks with wife and 2 kids ( aged 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 )...

The fundamental plan is to go to various countries each for about a week and then move on.

I'm not experienced at caravaning, so have till summer 2008 to buy my caravan to go with my Berlingo 2.0 HDi Multispace and get used to it in the UK.

Something that worries me is the following...

1) Kids could get bored fast in a cramp caravan... have to make sure I book into caravan sites with the best facilities?.. swimming pool, restaurant etc. play park?

2) It will be too hot in the caravan / awning for kids to have a nap in the afternoon, do caravans have aircon?.. how bad can this get?

3) Driving abroad with crazy French and Italian drivers with a right hand drive car could be a nightmare and very stressful.

I'd appreciate any comments or experiences that you have had that might help me.

This is to be a huge trip abroad whilst between jobs and whilst kids havent started school, the last chance really for us to do a bit of a mega adventure.

Thanks.

Crazy Caravaner.

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Derek,

We are new to caravanning and like you we are spending this year just going to sites in the UK learning the ropes, although we intend to go continental next year!

We have driven & motor biked in France, and found the roads are much better and quieter than here and we didn't have any problems, but I can't comment on other countries.

We brought a used caravan (8 months old) that has air-con, so yes you can get them.

Hope you have a lovely trip.

Vicky

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
OK Derek.

I'm in southern France on route to a job in Spain and have been from home to Brindisi in Southern Italy and back via Naples, Rome and Venice before getting to Fance this morning. Have had no stress driving over 3000 continental miles and don't normaly when I have the caravan behind.

Aircon is OK in Vans but has limited use due to noise and power supply, also having spent years abroad in hot climates moving from air con to normal air temp can make it harder to adapt.

Most vans have blown air heating, and at night we always have the blown air running with no heat on and have always found the constantly changing air makes for a good night sleep.

I'm using a new sat nav at present and would rate that for a stress free trip. A mate with youngsters rates a DVD player for the kids as his best car accessory when he is towing the van to Spain. Cartoons stop his two of his kids travel sickness! And they never bother asking "how much further" any more.

My wife is happy to tow the van on the continent but very reluctant in the UK if that gives you a hint on how driving in Europe is. If you can handle Cornish and Welsh roads etc, wrong side of the road in Europe will never worry you!

Pick good sites with pools and plenty to do, and the kids will sleep all night and probably play all day.

A cool shower before bed and sleep naked always with cotton sheets over you is a good move in hot climates. My family were told to do that in Africa 40 odd years ago by Doctors when I was a kid.

Have never owned any nightware since and sleep like a log wherever I am.

Glaggy man made fibres for clothing or sleeping arrangements need to be avoided in hot climes!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Derek - I think you will find the Berlingo very restrictive in the type of van you will be able to tow. I enquired some while ago regarding towing with this car and the replies I received were very negative. I was interested in the 2.0litre HDI but kicked the idea into touch with the replies. I am sorry to sound negative but I think you should reconsider the type of towing vehicle as you will be doing a high milage.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
If, as you say you are novice vanners, and haven't already bought your caravan could I suggest that you hire one first and try it out in this country. I am sure you and the family will have a great time, but it is a large amount of money to pay out if you don't!

The kids are of an ideal age to have a great time vanning. They will experience things they have had little of before: freedom comes to mind. I doubt very much that you children will require the refinements of swimming pool(s), entertainment, etc. Most vanning families find that they make their own enjoyment and rarely seem bored.

Caravan blinds are great at keeping the heat of the sun out of the van so I doubt this will be a problem.

As already reported on this thread you may find the Belingo not up to the towing capacity you will need, but this depends on the van of your choice. Some units are quite light whilst others are hugely heavy.

Whatever you decide I hope you and the family have a great time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts