Carver fanmaster 5500

Jan 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi My Elddis caravan has a Fanmaster 5500. I've had a few issues with it which I've managed to resolve. However,it trips the mains power off if i try run on positions 2 and 3 which is 1w electric. It works fine using switch 4 2w electric. Any ideas?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi My Elddis caravan has a Fanmaster 5500. I've had a few issues with it which I've managed to resolve. However,it trips the mains power off if i try run on positions 2 and 3 which is 1w electric. It works fine using switch 4 2w electric. Any ideas?
You don't tell us which trip (RCD or MCB) is tripping, but regardless of which it clearly means there is an electrical fault but exactly what is very difficult to establish for certain what has failed with hands on inspection.

The other fly in the ointment is Carver stopped producing that at the turn of the century, and replacement parts are few and far between.

I suggest you Contact
https://arcsystems.biz/
who have some experience with these models and do have some spare parts.

Reactions: Buddiefan
Jan 13, 2023
Visit site
I'm guessing it's the RCD that's tripping out. It's located in the storage in the bathroom. Even after it's tripped,the fan keeps going 🤷‍♂️

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm guessing it's the RCD that's tripping out. It's located in the storage in the bathroom. Even after it's tripped,the fan keeps going 🤷‍♂️
The consumer unit for mains supplies in UK built caravans has both RCD (x1) and two or possibly three MCB's all in the same housing.
The fan motor is driven by 12V dc and is not dependant on the mains supply, hence it continues to run.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I managed to sort the issue out. I fired it up on gas and switched the fan on. I left it running for about an hour or so. I then switched over to electric,and it works fine without tripping
You have only hidden the problem, not cured it As Gary has written, if it is damp its only going to get worse over time. At least it seems the protective circuitry is working so it's unlikely to be death risk, but it should be repaired or replaced not just ignored.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts