Cat C Swift Challenger Sport 564 SR 2012

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Neil here and I am new to caravaning
I have the opportunity to buy an Swift Challenger 564 SR 2012 for £7000
It is Cat C.
Has hail storm damage to roof and right side.
Toilet sky light and twin bed sky light will need replacing (I can do this)
The left side hail damage is only noticeable in a certain light/angle so no worries about that.
The roof is looking like a golf ball small dents 50p size maybe 3-5 psf no more and a lot less in places
It has 2 damp spots inside small ones but none the less they are there 1 above the WC rear right corner on the roof you can see it may have had a small pool of water in the corner
the other is to the lower left of the left front window (looking from inside) small 1mm blisters on face of panel about 1 hand size in area.
I feel ok with looking into this one myself ie removing the front windows and looking into the structure. As for the toilet area was thinking of just letting it dry with some help and then sealing the WHOLE roof with liquid roof.
Apart from the above the van looks in excellent condition and I would say if not damaged would be worth 12-14k

I am an excellent DIYer and have loads of time.
CRIS paperwork is on its way to the dealer and he is sorting out the Engineers report.

My question to you all is, Is this a good idea or should I stay well away from it?
If I do get it, it is likely to last me until it crumbles away as I have no intention of changing due to it having an excellent layout for me. (I am x forces and have camped all over the world in tents/huts so not unaccustomed to the camping process) so I am not overly concerned with resale value as I intend to get its full value out of the 7k if I go with this plan.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi.
This sounds like a lot of work, and certainly if it were to be attempted by commercial organisation at normal commercial rates, I can see why it is an insurance wright off. It only could become financially viable if it were done as a DIY project.

But even so I do wonder even without labour costs, if it is really is still financially viable, because the amount of work and materials involved is unclear, water leaks are notoriously difficult to accurately diagnose without exploring by exposing the affected materials. when water appears inside you do not fully know the route it took to get there.

I note you are anticipating using "liquid Roof" which is a non standard caravan construction process. By using it you will further devalue the caravan, regardless of how effective it may be.

Personally I would not contemplate this repair, but if you are dead set on doing it, and you feel you are up to it then all best wishes.

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi thanks for the input
Yes the damp is the one issue I am concerned with the breaks I can sort as for the value if I use Liquid roof that is not a problem as I would keep the van until it rots so to speak.
The dealer is going to do a full damp test on it for me first if that shows up any more then its a none starter.

The hard work would be the window but that is still very doable by me your right in that if the water has come in from else where that could be a pain to fix

Am I right in assuming because the van is only 4 years old it shouldn't be too WET the rest of it looks immaculate. Or is this a false hope?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If there are bubbles on the inner wall where you say it appears damp, then the wallboard is rotten and will require removal and investigation as to cause, which could be extensive damage to the inner wood.

Whilst damp areas may look small, it is only the surface you see, its what is going on under that can throw up some very nasty surprises.

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's
I have this morning halted the sale as I agree with the comments so far both this site and others, The risk is too much regarding the damp issue and yes if I had a hanger to do it in that would be a lot easier so its back to the searching and hopefully the twin bed van that I seek will come along soon
Thank you

TRENDING THREADS