cc recomend 7%

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Benny

The 7% figure is not a rule it is a guideline only and has no basis in law.

Both the car and the caravan manufacture will quote maximum tow hitch load limits these are legal limits. Use which ever is the LOWEST and use that as your target value.

It is generally acceted that you should aim to maximise the tow ball load figure for better towing but you must not exceed the limits mentioned above.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The 7% formula originated in the days before type approval when manufacturers didn't specify a maximum noseweight and one didn't have anything better to go by. Besides, caravans were generally lighter then so the 7% were invariably lower than the maximum allowable. Things have changed over the years and the formula really doesn't have much relevance today. Using the lower of the two figures specified for car and caravan, respectively, is much better.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello agian Benny,

I stand by my answer above concerning the legal maximum loadings. If as you imply the CC insurance is instructing you to achieve this figure then I sincerly belive the clause in the policy is unfair and unreasonable.

You would be wise to double check your policy, and if the CC are instrucing you to meet this figure then you should challenge it in writing.

Please keep us informed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Benny, John and Lutz are correct, the 7% is just an old fashioned guidline that may have had some relavence when most vans were below 1 ton, but with average MPTLM now in the region of 1400kg it is imparactical as you have found.

In any event my observation of caravanners over the last 20 years or so is that they are not that paranoid. Most of them, including myself, try to get it to maximum whilst still staying within the cars nose weight limit. We just load the van more or less the same way after that - I have never seen anybody using a nose weight gauge prior to hitching up prior to leaving a site but I am sure there are those that do.

Are you sure tha CC are saying the insurance is invalid if the nosewight isn't 7%? What if its 5% or 10%? My copy of the CC handbook says "It is recommended that the nose weight should be varied to find the optimum for towing dependant on the actual laden weight of the caravan.Experience and research has shown that the noseweight should be approximately 7% of the actual weight for optimum stability. However,this may be resticted by the towing vehicle manufacturer's limit and the caravan's hitch limit". Nowhere do they call the 7% a "rule" a "guidline" or "the law".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts