CCTV experience anyone?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Does any reader have experience of domestic external CCTV kit and the best/most reliable makes?

Specifically I would prefer to use IP equipment rather than co-ax as it either means one cable if wired or wireless.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A lot depends on what you want from any system.

Analogue systems use one of two applications, either single coax which also carries the 12v camera power as well as the return signal to the DVR, or shotgun cable where the camera signal is sent down the coax but the 12v supply is sent down a separate cable attached to the coax cable, so just one cable in essence.

The DVR records constantly and the images are stored on the DVR until either overwritten or downloaded.

The IP system still uses a cable to supply the power to the camera, but sending the signal via a transmitter to a recorder, but if the signal is lost so is the image .

Very good systems are certainly not cheap and the most important part is the camera or cameras.

Swann systems are reasonable but do have a bit of a reputation of DVR recorder motherboard failure.
I had this system for a couple of years but suffered the motherboard failure and the cost to replace was unreasonable

Lorex is a better system but not a cheap system.
I have this system running now and has been for 5 years with no problems and , in my opinion, a superior system.
This system uses shotgun cabling and has been very reliable to date.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
A lot depends on what you want from any system.

Analogue systems use one of two applications, either single coax which also carries the 12v camera power as well as the return signal to the DVR, or shotgun cable where the camera signal is sent down the coax but the 12v supply is sent down a separate cable attached to the coax cable, so just one cable in essence.

The DVR records constantly and the images are stored on the DVR until either overwritten or downloaded.

The IP system still uses a cable to supply the power to the camera, but sending the signal via a transmitter to a recorder, but if the signal is lost so is the image .

Very good systems are certainly not cheap and the most important part is the camera or cameras.

Swann systems are reasonable but do have a bit of a reputation of DVR recorder motherboard failure.
I had this system for a couple of years but suffered the motherboard failure and the cost to replace was unreasonable

Lorex is a better system but not a cheap system.
I have this system running now and has been for 5 years with no problems and , in my opinion, a superior system.
This system uses shotgun cabling and has been very reliable to date.

IP systems not necessarily wireless - plenty use Ethernet with a POE adapter to supply power to the camera. The dearer DVR recorders have POE built in.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I put up a yeskamo set for a quick fix 2 years ago and it faultless, no issues at all and a great price.

similar to this set.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
I installed my own four camera system using Hikvision equipment sourced via eBay. Four channel recorder with 1Terrabyte hard drive and 2mbit dome cameras (vandal resistant). These are the Dark Fighter cameras and I think they are brilliant. The cameras to recorder is cabled using PoE ( power over Ethernet) CAT6 the made cables from a company called Kenable.
It was all plug and play basically and I use a app called Hik-Connect to view what’s what.
All installed for under £500 DIY.
Quotes for company installs for the same kit was £1200 plus.

Reactions: Kevin M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts