Change of leadership.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been away for a couple of weeks trying Serles at Hunstanton, so not up with the latest topics yet, so please forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. Looking through the latest Practical Caravan magazine and on the first page (not including advertising) is the Editor, Alex Newby saying that she is moving on and that her replacement will be (for want of not repeating myself) replacing her soon.

So is this a good thing? Personally I think we do need a new face at the top.

Although the latest magazines held some interest for me, generally speaking I think it has lost the way. Hopefully the new editor will put a little of the "practical" back into the magazine.

I don't mind having a "what not to forget" list published every six months; some times they can be helpful and usually include something new. Also when I visit a site I want to know the "practicalities" not just how bracing the walk is.

For instance, let' take Serles as an example, I would have been told about the lovely walk on the promenade or the miride of local shops available for my perusal, perhaps the latest folk festival revival, in the latest mag.

What I really wanted to know was, where is the shortcut to the beech and where can I find the really sandy sections. Where is it permissible to walk a dog on the beech (if at all) and how much are the ice creams I should buy, to share with mans best friend? Can I fish on the beech and if so at what times? Should I read too much into "Steak Night" at the Golf Club (only to be disappointed) and are there better local alternatives?

It's a small example, but I also think a more pertinent example, of how caravaners think when confronted with a new site. I just hope the new PC will indeed be more practical and less "Flowery", that way they might be able to fit in even more advertisements!

Your comments please...

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Maybe not everyone liked the sites section when they had it but at least I got some ideas on where to go. The last thing I wanted to know is what the staff writers had done during the month. I never ever read it.

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
Dont tell the long suffering but if the new boss is the chick with the dark hair as David W says 'nice lookin girl' ( yes I know this is a shallow man thing to say but you don't get that much 'Chickage' in the PC mag) sorry Alex, got to move on.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol

'where is the shortcut to the beech and where can I find the really sandy sections'

Are you thinking of frolicking with Mrs Lol in the sandunes?

Lisa

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
new editor, David Motton, is joining from sister magazine What Car?, while Sam Pears and Nigel Donnelly are joining us as deputy editor and technical editor respectively.

So sorry guys, looks like Lisa geta a bloke in charge.

Lets hope its makes a difference

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just hope the towcar review section doesn't take over and we still get plenty of useful articles such as the best sink drainer and how to make fabulous curtains at a competitive price.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol

'where is the shortcut to the beech and where can I find the really sandy sections'

Lisa
Sandunes?

Is that what the youth of today call them now?

Sadly Mrs Lol banned frolicking, back in 83, quoting the world wide shortage of fresh fruit as the reason.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just hope the towcar review section doesn't take over and we still get plenty of useful articles such as the best sink drainer and how to make fabulous curtains at a competitive price.

Lisa
Shouldn't you be watching Eastenders, Lisa?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol

Lisa
I am a lot younger than you Lol. That's what us young uns call em.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Lisa
My life is far too exciting for tv. Off to my WI meet in a bit. Got a knitting competition, I'm so nervous about it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My life is far too exciting for tv. Off to my WI meet in a bit. Got a knitting competition, I'm so nervous about it.
Bi-carb of soda should cure that problem Lisa, but remember a stitch in time is better than two birds in a bush.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks, I'll remember that!!!

Oh, got to go, taxis here, wish I could drive. Still cars are very scary and hard to park.

Lisa

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
What about some celeb van reviews?

The Dixie Chicks can try out the 3 berth vans (sod it go with the 2 birth its more fun)

For the ladies what about Billy from DIY SOS to do the electrical tests (he always seems to get the fan mail, so must have something going for him)

and our new deputy Editor....Sam....arrrrhhhhhh (is she Married?)

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
If you want hunks in the mag Lisa wait until the photo's of the meet are published

Especially the one of Lol with the vac cleaner

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What about some celeb van reviews?

The Dixie Chicks can try out the 3 berth vans (sod it go with the 2 birth its more fun)

For the ladies what about Billy from DIY SOS to do the electrical tests (he always seems to get the fan mail, so must have something going for him)

and our new deputy Editor....Sam....arrrrhhhhhh (is she Married?)
No, but Mrs Fouldsy is............

;o)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would vote for anyone who agrees that a 3 page test on "sink drainers" was a complete waste of time space and effort.

But give Alex her due - she did seek our views - but I am just not sure it had any effect.

Alex kindly asked for my opinion (which I gave of course!) and the reply was that the "sink drainer" article was "Practical".

Considering the absolute wealth of hints on this Forum as to what new caravanners want covered, I found this response from Alex mind bogglingly puerile.

I wish her well but sincerely hope that the new editor puts some Practical articles of real substance in the mag. Then maybe the magazine will not be guilty under the trades description act.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want hunks in the mag Lisa wait until the photo's of the meet are published

That was an honest to goodness mistake Roy, I thought it was part of my new caravan multi gym. Need to keep in shape, you know (whats wrong with round anyway?) but while I'm here, wern't you supposed to burn the negatives?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fouldsy

Good idea about getting celebs in. PC mag could get Max and Paddy in to swap their motorhome for a caravan for a week.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Or the one where he fell asleep on his deckchair at 3 o'clock in the afternoon...

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
" I would vote for anyone who agrees that a 3 page test on "sink drainers" was a complete waste of time space and effort. "

I missed that, one was the lady a little to covered up or not uncovered enough.

Sorry I thought you said PAGE 3 test!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts