Charlie the tortoise

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ours isn't a happy household at the moment. I went to check on Charlie today and found him dead. Gawd I didn't think I could get so upset over a bloody tortoise and Her Ladyship didn't help blarting her eyes out
smiley-cry.gif

Many years ago, about 50, a friend of my parents found Charlie and gave him to my youngest sister who was 4 at the time. We have no idea how old Charlie was when my sister had him but over the years he as been passed down amongst our family.
My sister grew up and got married so my parents were left to care for Charlie. He did get lost one winter but my father found him coming out of hibernation whilst he was mowing the grass. Charlie had burrowed into the soil and my father said the hole was the length of his arm.
Our family then came along and my parents gave Charlie to our daughter and since she left home, just over 20 years ago, we have had him.
Charlie had the run of the garden and we always left him out when going away and family or neighbours made sure he was watered.
Last year, for the first time, he escaped from our garden. After my wife putting it on the radio and me printing off posters for the local shops our neighbour across the road found him asleep on his path. I did worry that he might have fell in the pond and turned turtle.
Because he escaped, despite not knowing how, my cousin offered to have him when we were away on our jaunts.
Reading advice to the contrary we've always put him away in his box to hibernate in hay. Apparently the dust from the hay can give them problems although Charlie has survived this way for 50 years. This year, because my wife no longer keeps guinea pigs which used hay, we decided to put him to bed in shredded newspaper. It would be a bummer if this is what caused his death despite this method being recommended.
Alas Charlie is no more. He didn't do tricks or fetch a ball but he will still be sorely missed after being a part of our family for so many years
smiley-frown.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all. It did come as a surprise and upset because spur thighed tortoises have been known to live to 165 years old.
We have jokingly been talking in the past of having to put Charlie in our will. The only thing that we've done different this year was his bedding. I think this winter was the killer though. Despite the winter of 2009/10 being bad we lost plants this winter that survived that one. It just makes me feel bad thinking Charlie might have suffered although realistically he probably didn't if he was deep in hibernation.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for your loss,ours has just woke up,we were going to take her away with us but now we dont need to she can stay in the garden.As you say they dont do tricks but you do get attached to them.Ours is only 10 and its weird to think she may outlive us(I'm 60) and think who would look after her.We overwinter her in peat in a large plastic box and she burrows to the bottom we check her every few weeks and rebury her.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry LB remember the good times like when he beat the hare in that race must be nice to be handed down through the family as the kids get older its not so good when a pet dies and the kids are still young.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I made him a coffin this morning. Lined it with a towel. There was a dandelion, his favourite food, growing under the carport and I was saving it until he woke. I picked that and put it in his coffin.
Before my mother gave our daughter Charlie someone bought her a tortoise and it didn't survive it's first winter so I buried that one up the garden at our previous house. My daughter asked me whereabouts and I told her I'd buried it under the pear tree so that next year we could have tortoise flavoured pears. She threw her cornflakes over me and ran upstairs crying
smiley-cry.gif

She's never let me forget that
smiley-embarassed.gif

Got to dig a big deep hole tomorrow for Charlie. I'll have to take my time doing it else I'll end up in the same hole as him which is the worse scenario. The lesser scenario is my back will start playing up and I'll be sidelined for a couple of days.
We are going to put a slab over his grave with a nice flower tub on it so that in times to come when I'm in my dotage I don't forget and dig him back up again
smiley-frown.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts