Cheap ferry / Shuttle crossings ?

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi ,
I know this site has some good internet detectives - so does anyone know of good deals on the ferries or Shuttle for July / August ?

Many thanks in advance
Andy p

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We are off to France in August , booked all sites direct ourselves , cheaper , but went through The Caravan Club for the euro tunnel for the better price . We've paid £264 ish return . Ferry prices have risen since last year plus the shuttle is quicker .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Both clubs give you a discount on ferry and shuttle prices but if that is the only reason for joining I doubt it will be enough to justify the membership but it does depend on which route and time you go for.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Eurotunnel prices vary quite a lot during the day. Cheapest outbound seem to be midafternoon and cheapest return late morning. A few years ago I found the CC discount to be very small, ok if you are already a member but won;t cover the annual sub.

If you get to Eurotunnel early for your booked train you may be offered an earlier crossing, sometimes at no extra charge. If you arrive late, I understand you are allowed on the next train 9so long as there is space) at the same price but thereafter have to pay more.

So I looked at Eurotunnel online and choose the latest cheapest crossing but arrive in time to catch either one or two trains earlier. I never had to wait for my 'booked' train. These were midweek bookings early September.

If the western ship routes are more convenient from your home base, Brittany now have an Economie service - no frills. If you make two or more return trips a year the Brittany Travel Club offers a good discount. You should break even in the first year and enjoy the discouts thereafter.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We always travel by Tunnel and book through the Caravan Club. We find that the cheapest crossings are very early morning and leave around 3.30 am. Coming home around 10 am is cheap to. We have paid £219 this year for April out June back. Tunnel prices have not gone up too much in the past few years. .

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
DianneT said:
We always travel by Tunnel and book through the Caravan Club. We find that the cheapest crossings are very early morning and leave around 3.30 am. Coming home around 10 am is cheap to. We have paid £219 this year for April out June back. Tunnel prices have not gone up too much in the past few years. .
Hello Dianne. Strange that, as I've just booked ours with the CC, Dover /Dunkirk, out April 26 back June 7th, and that also is £219.00, but that includes 2 dogs.
Ferry fares have risen a lot this year.
We're only "doing" France this year, so I don't think we'll be able to meet up again!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
eribanaut said:
We booked our crossing with the CC, going out in April, coming back in July, Car + caravan + 2pers = £87 return Dover Dunkirk DFDS
Eribanaut, how did you get that price? I've just booked mine through CC with DFDS, and it was £159.00, plus £60 for the dogs. 12 noon both ways.
Very strange!!

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
We always book early [Last October] using the NEC caravan show offer, which last year was 30% through the CC, but when I actually booked the discount was nearer 40%

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
eribanaut......I booked using the same method as you via Nec offer and CC.
I made two bookings for a car and caravan via Dover and both were £125.
I am guessing as your name suggests, that you have a small caravan so qualify for a cheaper fare!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Even if two people book the same crossings the ferry fares can be different as the ferry companies vary the fares depending on how many bookings they get. The bookings can get steadily dearer as time moves on if the take up is good so even the next person after you can get a different deal.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
eribanaut said:
We booked our crossing with the CC, going out in April, coming back in July, Car + caravan + 2pers = £87 return Dover Dunkirk DFDS

How the **** did you manage that? Travelling at midnight or something?

The best I could get out at 08:00 and back on the best price late afternoon is £103 and £109 or £212 all in on DFDS.

I got the offer on P&O going out 08:35 and back 16:05 Dover-Calais and that was £180 leaving mid May and returning mid June.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts