Check everything - do not believe the dealer

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
I bought a Bailey Series 6 Burgundy from the Daventry branch of Broad Lane Leisure on July 23rd. The sales pitch on this caravan followed the line that it had been very lightly used and was therefore in nearly new condition and represented excellent value for money.

On the weekend of August 9th/10th I tried to use the CD player for the first time and found it to be faulty. I reported this fault to Broad Lane on Monday 11th. Yesterday I was informed that the unit is out of warranty from Bailey, and can be neither repaired nor replaced by Bailey or Broad Lane.

I contacted the Caravan Club lawyers who informed me that such a unit should reasonably be expected to last at least five years, and is obviously not fit for purpose under the Sales of Goods Act, therefore the dealer is responsible for its replacement. They recommended that I should pursue the matter in the Small Claims court, but why should I have to go to such extreme measures to correct a fault on an item I have owned for three weeks?

The dealer claimed to have tested the CD player in their workshop, but it was not demonstrated to me when I collected the caravan, and I made the mistake of taking their word that everything was functioning correctly.

I would suggest to anyone buying a caravan, even from a supposedly reputable dealer, to check thoroughly everything on board personally. It is your word against theirs in the event of a fault developing, and you may be put to a great deal of wasted time, expense and inconvenience.

I would also recommend joining the Caravan Club in order to take advantage of their free legal advice if necessary, and would like to thank them for their help and guidance. My confidence in the level of service I might expect, should any system within this caravan fail in the future, has been severely shaken by this experience, and any hope of a future good relationship with Broad Lane has been totally lost.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

Unfortunately good dealers are few and far between these days, but they are out there!

Ok so Broad Lanes don't want to play ball. Silly them. They know full well that a guarantee for say 12 months is meaningless. The CD unit should work for a number of years.

Do Broad Lanes have signs up saying all the CD units in their caravans only last 12 months? Of course not!!

I'd have one more try with them verbally and then write a letter pointing out they are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and give them 14 days to repair or replace the CD Unit.

If they fail you can issue a small claims court "writ"via the internet or direct with the Court.Yes it's a pain but it's the only language they understand.

Ok it will cost you initially but I am 99% certain you will win and Broad Lanes will have to pay all your costs as well.

What a shame a previous Dealer of the Year has to behave so badly to an honest genuine customer. Grrr!!

Good luck

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

I trust you are going to write to Broad Lane Leisure quoting the advice given to you by the CC legal dept. You should give them say 14 days to respond, otherwise you will have no other alternative but to persue a claim against them in the Count Court.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul

I also forgot to say that as you haven't had the caravan for more than 28 days and Broad Lanes are shrugging you off you could ask for a full refund and give them the caravan back. Last resort yes, but these waywaerd dealers need to get a grip.

If you go back on previous posts you will see my F in L has had no end of problems with these people. I really don't know how they got Dealer of the Year, perhaps thay have let their previous high standards slip??

Cheers

Alan

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Paul

I also forgot to say that as you haven't had the caravan for more than 28 days and Broad Lanes are shrugging you off you could ask for a full refund and give them the caravan back. Last resort yes, but these waywaerd dealers need to get a grip.

If you go back on previous posts you will see my F in L has had no end of problems with these people. I really don't know how they got Dealer of the Year, perhaps thay have let their previous high standards slip??

Cheers

Alan
Thanks for your support guys. The latest news is that following a letter to their MD declaring my disappointment with their service, and my intention to pursue the matter through the legal system if necessary, Broad Lane now say that they have found a replacement unit for me.

It's a shame it took so much effort, but it proves that it's worth standing up to these companies. I suppose they must get away with it often enough to keep trying it on.

Now I need them to carry out a repair to a hole made in the rear panel where someone damaged it while it was in a local secure storage area. Of course, nobody has owned up to causing the damage, so I shall lose my insurance no-claims discount. Can caravans be jinxed?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,

Don't just give up on the damage to your caravan.

Assuming you can prove the damage occurred whilst the caravan was under the protection of the secure compound, then the owners of the compound are in my opinion liable:-

If the compound is secure, then that means only persons authorised by the site owner can be admitted to the compound. Because the site owner effectively controls who can be admitted, any person in the compound is there with the owners consent.

The owner has the right to refuse entry to any person he considers to be a hazard, and thus by allowing them access he is accepting responsibility for thier actions whilst inside the compound.

Therefore the action that resulted in damage to your caravan occured under the site owners control, or was preventable if the site owner had refused entry to the person(s) who caused the damage.

Speak to a solicitor for professional advice, but I think you have a case against the site owner.

Incidentally if the owner then says it must have been unauthorised vandals, then clearly he does not have a secure site, and that might be an issue under trades descriptions or breech of contract.

In essence why should you carry all the risk and the site owner none?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
paul, broad lane, kenilworth aint what it ued to be mate.

i know someone who they ripped of 3 times bigstyle and never again.

they hav gone downhill so much. when i was looking for a great del with a new wyoming they gave me the worst deal because its money money money.

just reject the van and ask for a full refund and go to chipping sodbury.

it doesnt matter about the servicing and warrenty because solihull caravans near jacksons of old arley are a service centre for bailey so you can get servicing and warrenty done there or they come to you.

good luck

jo-anne

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Paul, I'm sorry to hear about your experience and hope it's resolved to your satisfaction.

We've bought our last two vans from Broad Lane Daventry, along with vast amounts of kit, and have nothing but praise for them. We've had to have work done on both vans (in addition to normal service work) which they've always carried out satisfactorily. We have a good relationship with all of the staff there, to the point where we almost feel like part of the family (it is a family business). We've always found them to be friendly, helpful and welcoming, and not at all pushy.

Just wanted to present a different point of view from our perspective Paul, I'm not attempting to make light of your problems.

G

2We have a good relationship with all of the staff there, to the point where we almost feel like part of the family"

More like a paying guest, surely? ;)

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I have just read this and i can assure you that the stereo will be replaced if it is faulty. I am very sorry for any trouble caused. Dave Brown managing partner , Daventry branch at midnight and on holiday.. Call me next week on 01327 703371.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Well the power of the forum does work!

DAVE BROWN has promised to sort out your problem. Let us all know what happens.

DAVE (on holiday too)

What a shame your staff didn't respond to Paul like you in the first place!!

Customer service and satisfaction is high on my list of wants from any dealer. So going forward I do hope your staff emulate your kind intervention and avoid the unnecessary upset suffered by Paul. Thankyou for at least resolving this problem and hopefully restoring my faith in Broad Lanes.

Cheers

Alan

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul,

DAVE (on holiday too)

Customer service and satisfaction is high on my list of wants from any dealer. So going forward I do hope your staff emulate your kind intervention and avoid the unnecessary upset suffered by Paul. Thankyou for at least resolving this problem and hopefully restoring my faith in Broad Lanes.

Cheers

Alan
"Customer service and satisfaction is high on my list of wants from any dealer"

And that's exactly what we've always had from Broad Lane, and Dave Brown in particular. However, good relationships are a two-way thing and I think if you treat people how you would like to be treated, you get the same back (just my opinion!).

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
"Customer service and satisfaction is high on my list of wants from any dealer"

And that's exactly what we've always had from Broad Lane, and Dave Brown in particular. However, good relationships are a two-way thing and I think if you treat people how you would like to be treated, you get the same back (just my opinion!).
Soozeeg

I think Dave Brown understands and I am sure will be kicking ar-e of the person who was so unhelpful to Paul. For God's sake he hadn't had the caravan three weeks when the CD failed to work.

Anyway I do agree customer service is paramount and hopefully Broad Lanes will start performing as well as they did when then they won the dealer of the year award.

Cheers

Alan

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul,

DAVE (on holiday too)

Cheers

Alan
Thanks for that Alan,

I was actually very pleased to find out the next day that the problem was sorted out last week with the customer. It was someone in aftersales applying the letter of the (Bailey) law and not using plain old common sense.The customer now seems very happy.

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts