Check the details before you book!

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Folks,

We have just arrived back from the West Country having taken the caravan down to be at our daughters wedding in Bristol. We had booked the site some time ago along with an explanation as to why we were coming down and were looking forward to being on what appeared a very nice site in North Somerset. We arrived on site to find our way blocked by a barrel and sign that said " No parking on the grass" I sat there thinking "How the hell am I going to do this?" The site owner appeared and checked who we were and then started directing operations to get us onto the pitch. So far so good but even at this stage we had determined that something was not quite right and that he was precious about his grass. The site owner showed us around and after a short time I asked the innocent question as to where any visitors could park their cars as we were there for the wedding and visitors would be visiting regularly. It was then that he hit me with the killer blow! It transpired that each visitor had to pay £4 every time they wished to visit whether they stayed an hour or all day! I was horrified. We were organising a wedding for Gods sake I have never in 20years of caravanning come across this. Has anyone else? I had also noticed that it was £14 for one night, £13 per night for 2 nights and £12 per night for 3 or more. In the CC sites book it states quite clearly £12 per night. I am still asking myself what the difference is between 1 night and several nights? What extra work has he got to do? It appeared to me that this guy was running this caravan club CL purely as a money making venture which even according to the CC was not really the first priority. I complained bitterly and so did my wife. I told him that I would have to move to another site as I had to have the freedom of visitors due to the nature of our visit. He then told us that he would have to charge us the full pitch fees for the week as he could not get any other customers at short notice. The red mist started to decend!!!!! I told him where to stick his charges. For decency's sake I wil not tell you what was said but suffice it to say I was absolutely flabbergasted. As I phoned around trying desperately to find another site for the week, I asked if the same charges applied at the 5 sites I rang for a place- Four out of the five burst into laughter when I asked, and the other replied -"Definately not!" Is it me? Am I out of step? I am still very angry about it. So much so that I am thinking of leaving the CC and joining the Camping and Caravanning Club! If this is the sort of person who is running CL's I don't want to be part of it. The final bill by the way would have been an extra £64. SO, CHECK ALL DETAILS BEFORE YOU BOOK. I have certainly learned a lesson.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Merve,

I read your post with disbelief, like you I would be out the gate and find somewhere else to stay pretty damn quick. But as you say check the details before you book. It is the cl owners right to charge whatever they like, so always best to ask. I can assure you that all cl's are not the same. We have stayed on a few and the owners have all been very nice and friendly with no hidden charges. I dont think you should leave the Caravan Club over this as cl sites are only affilliated to the CC not owned by them. I am also sure that a cs somewhere within the C&CC will probably have similar charges. The great advantage of caravanning is if you dont like a site you can up sticks and move.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Merve,

Do exactly what Pat has advised and I believe you will get a pretty swift result.We do not need take on merchants like the person you encountered within the caravan club,we are all part of a great hobby don't let one person put you off the caravan club.Hope the wedding went off okay.Best Wishes ,Jimbob

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Merve

Besides all the hassle about car parking etc, and the different nightly rate was the site a good un or what ???
Hi Gumbo,

Thanks for your reply. The site looked nice but I wasn't there long enough to really get to grips with it!

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Merve,

I read your post with disbelief, like you I would be out the gate and find somewhere else to stay pretty damn quick. But as you say check the details before you book. It is the cl owners right to charge whatever they like, so always best to ask. I can assure you that all cl's are not the same. We have stayed on a few and the owners have all been very nice and friendly with no hidden charges. I dont think you should leave the Caravan Club over this as cl sites are only affilliated to the CC not owned by them. I am also sure that a cs somewhere within the C&CC will probably have similar charges. The great advantage of caravanning is if you dont like a site you can up sticks and move.
Hi Julian, Thanks for your reply. I will be complaining to the CC. I have been a member for 20 years and I guess it's not the Caravan Clubs fault that this "chancer" is not really joining in the SPIRIT of the club. We were able to find another site fairly easily thank God!

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Put in a complaint to the Caravan Club. I'm sure they would be horrified. They could withdraw their affialation.
Thanks Pat. I will be complaining. Never heard of such a thing. I dont think in 20 years I have ever met anyone in the club that I wished I hadn't met. Help has been bountiful from other members when I have needed it. But this incident realy got up my nose! I suppose I will be renewing my membership in Sept!

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Merve,

Do exactly what Pat has advised and I believe you will get a pretty swift result.We do not need take on merchants like the person you encountered within the caravan club,we are all part of a great hobby don't let one person put you off the caravan club.Hope the wedding went off okay.Best Wishes ,Jimbob
Jimbob,

I couldn't have put it better myself. As I have said on numerous occasions, the type of person you meet on Club Sites and CL's are 1st class. There is always a helping hand if you need it as indeed I hope I have given help when someone else needed it and after 20 years of such great company and dare I say friends, this incident stands alone. I am so glad that club members have supported my views. The wedding went off brilliantly thanks to the kindness and help of the site we eventually settled on. Thanks again to all that replied to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts