Cirencester CMC Park

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you have a long outfit, be very careful on the new private approach road to Cirencester CMC site which has been resurfaced. IMHO the laybyes are too short for many outfits. See HERE.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On any Highway road, rocks like that are banned. Even if it is a private road, the fact that the public are allowed access should mean that the road should be safe for the public to use so surely those rocks could make it unsafe to use for some members of the public. A solution is that every one must leave by 12pm and arrivals after 1pm however you will still have other vehicles using the road in those times.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Apart from by the houses at the entrance, those rocks are unnecessary as the verge has been banked up - perhaps the rocks are intended to be temporary until the landscaping matures.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On any Highway road, rocks like that are banned. Even if it is a private road, the fact that the public are allowed access should mean that the road should be safe for the public to use so surely those rocks could make it unsafe to use for some members of the public. A solution is that every one must leave by 12pm and arrivals after 1pm however you will still have other vehicles using the road in those times.
That will not work some like to stay later and pay for it then you will be meeting the new arrivals also the people who live there I think that one site i will avoid until the rocks have gone

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It does seem on the tight side with no real thought to the meeting of vehicles with long trailers that are probably going to be using the access. The rocks are probably there to discourage drivers from leaving the paved roadway, the verges might be very soft

This is speculation but perhaps there is a long term plan, to refurbish the old access road and run a one way system.

On any Highway road, rocks like that are banned. Even if it is a private road, the fact that the public are allowed access should mean that the road should be safe for the public to use so surely those rocks could make it unsafe to use for some members of the public. , ...

Where have you got that information from, especially the bit about private roads?

Essentially it is private property and when you book onto a caravan park the acceptance of your booking grants you access for the duration of your booking.
Arguably the public may have access by invitation but no perpetual right of access.

Reactions: Beachball
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It does seem on the tight side with no real thought to the meeting of vehicles with long trailers that are probably going to be using the access. The rocks are probably there to discourage drivers from leaving the paved roadway, the verges might be very soft

This is speculation but perhaps there is a long term plan, to refurbish the old access road and run a one way system.

Where have you got that information from, especially the bit about private roads?

Essentially it is private property and when you book onto a caravan park the acceptance of your booking grants you access for the duration of your booking.
Arguably the public may have access by invitation but no perpetual right of access.
Same as using a Sainsbury, Morrisons, Tesco car park you still have to comply with legislation i.e. over the limit, dangerous driving etc. I would think that you can still be charged by the police as the public have access to the road and the public includes people attending the college there. Happy to be corrected. :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Same as using a Sainsbury, Morrisons, Tesco car park you still have to comply with legislation i.e. over the limit, dangerous driving etc. I would think that you can still be charged by the police as the public have access to the road and the public includes people attending the college there. Happy to be corrected. :)
If your correct then I'm sure the site will have revise its roadway as it will be enforced by the highway's agency or local authority. But lookout becasue it means that everyone's private drives will also need to be fully compliant!

The fact is it's on private land leading to private businesses. Even colleges are classed as private and sit in private grounds, and only people who have legitimate business with them have permission to gain access to the land or roadway. The public may have means of access (an open gate) but that does not give them permission to enter private lands.

With the exception of its junction with the public highway, a roadway on private land does not have to conform to public highway design and construction regulations. However the owners would be foolish to to under specify the design and construction for the vehicles that will be using it.

If anyone were to suffer a loss such as damaging a caravan on one of the stones, it would be a civil matter.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If your correct then I'm sure the site will have revise its roadway as it will be enforced by the highway's agency or local authority. But lookout becasue it means that everyone's private drives will also need to be fully compliant!

The fact is it's on private land leading to private businesses. Even colleges are classed as private and sit in private grounds, and only people who have legitimate business with them have permission to gain access to the land or roadway. The public may have means of access (an open gate) but that does not give them permission to enter private lands.

With the exception of its junction with the public highway, a roadway on private land does not have to conform to public highway design and construction regulations. However the owners would be foolish to to under specify the design and construction for the vehicles that will be using it.

If anyone were to suffer a loss such as damaging a caravan on one of the stones, it would be a civil matter.
I really don’t think that any civil case would get very far. I’ve been on numerous CLs where the access isn’t great with gate posts ready to catch the unwary. The responsibility lies with the driver. What does surprise me is the road layout that the CMHC have installed. How any caravan and motorhome club can consider that arrangement to be satisfactory defies description.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The old adage applies, vote with your hitch and stay elsewhere until a suitable entrance road is in place.
Those rocks appear to be deliberately placed to cause damage, which the driverwould be responsible for, not the site or any third party.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I really don’t think that any civil case would get very far. I’ve been on numerous CLs where the access isn’t great with gate posts ready to catch the unwary. The responsibility lies with the driver. What does surprise me is the road layout that the CMHC have installed. How any caravan and motorhome club can consider that arrangement to be satisfactory defies description.
The point was it would not be the highways authority of the local council who would bring any action against the roads owners for the stones, If a driver had a problem it could only be brought through civil law, I wasn't suggesting it would necessarily be successful.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Forgive me but there is something very wrong in this thread.
I live six miles away.
1. The access road has nothing to do with CAMC!
2. The road belongs to The Royal Agricultural University Cirencester.
3. CAMC I think, pay or have a legal right of way over the road.
4. The boulders are within measurements allowable, well as far as I can see.

Playing the devils advocate may I suggest there are others , God Knows who, who would like CAMC gone and develop the site for domestic , expensive Cotswold housing. A good income too for the Agi College.

I suspect this may be one of many locations where some Fat Cat can see a cash bundle and sod the CAMC.
Forget all this Highways stuff, totally irrelevant.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I live six miles away.

Playing the devils advocate may I suggest there are others , God Knows who, who would like CAMC gone and develop the site for domestic , expensive Cotswold housing. A good income too for the Agi College.

I suspect this may be one of many locations where some Fat Cat can see a cash bundle and sod the CAMC.
I suspect you may be correct regarding fat cats as the CMC probably lease the site and the lease could be coming to closure time? We have been to the site in question on 2 or 3 occasions and doubt very much if we would use it again. So a Win Win for us. LOL!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I live six miles away.

I agree

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We’ve used the site a few times as it’s only 20 miles from us. We like it as a site, it’s spacious and its close proximity to Cirencester gives a choice of eateries pubs and shops. The parklands and woods are ace for walking and the dogs enjoy it too.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There re no fat cats at the club, the club is run by an unpaid committee. The problem looks bad though and I can see major problems which might mean the road gets blocked if two large outfits meet and other then back up behind them. The work seems to have been carried out by someone who had not consulted the club as to the size of passing places needed.
Looking at the Mondeo in the passing place I doubt if even our car and 7.4 overall length caravan will fit. The rocks would certainly mean I would have to take extra caution, meaning in reality I would need more room than ever.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There re no fat cats at the club, the club is run by an unpaid committee. The problem looks bad though and I can see major problems which might mean the road gets blocked if two large outfits meet and other then back up behind them. The work seems to have been carried out by someone who had not consulted the club as to the size of passing places needed.
Looking at the Mondeo in the passing place I doubt if even our car and 7.4 overall length caravan will fit. The rocks would certainly mean I would have to take extra caution, meaning in reality I would need more room than ever.
I don't think the reference was to fat cats at the club. but rather to developers or even the college. As it is a private road, no need to consult the club I guess?

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray,
My reference to “Fat Cats” has nothing to do with CAMC.
The site and road way involved are nothing to do with CAMC. Privately owned by a University and part Local Authorities.
Note how close to the “ Cotswold Capital” the site is. That tells you everything.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They could have saved thousands by just leaving the road as it was. Plenty of width and with built in speed restrictions in the form of big pot holes.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts