Cirencester Park CC site

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We have just returned from yet another wonderful stay at this site. The facilities and amenities are always of the highest stadard and the wardens and assistants are very friendly. The dog walk is wonderful and kept as immaculate as the site itself.

Unfortunately, we found that the current Wardens, having been there for the past 3 years are retiring. The McArthurs would like to wish them luck for the future. Hopefully, they may find this on the website.

Perhaps other members who have had a lovely time there would like to add their good wishes to the couple.

Ann

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jo-Anne

We have spent time at all three sites mentioned and all three have characteristics of their own.

Morton-in-Marsh:

It seems to be cramped and nearly all hardstandings which are set within trees. We don't like being sited under trees, etc., as when it rains (usually does most of our time away!) we get constant dripping on the van, OK during the day a nightmare overnight. Trees also shed leaves and debree on the awning and necessitates a good clean on our return. Some time since our visit but the dog walk wasn't up to much - we used the main road outside the site. However, I am given understand that has been improved recently.

Broadway: A really lovely site but, being in a triangle of three roads, is a bit noisy. The walk into Broadway village, which is very pretty, is along a very busy road used by heavy goods vehicles from early morning to very late at night. Dog walk is virtually nil. Most people tend to walk their dogs around the site which is not ideal (although they did pick up).

Cirencester:

Although a large site it doesn't appear to be so as the initial planning was very good. The walk through Cirencester Park into the small market town is lovely or, alternatively, you can walk down the main road. Each takes approximately 15 mins. There is a small play area for the younger generation and a huge field for the older 'kids'. There is also a cycle track around the playing field and a Boules pitch. It is impossible to criticise the dog walking field. Even the most prolifick exscapologist(s) find it difficult to escape! The play/dog ares are at the top of the site on the grass pitch areas. Never had a problem with drainage even immediately following torrential downpours. But if you prefer you can use hard standing(s) which aren't too far away.

Needless to say, all three have fab facilities which we expect from our Club site(s).

However, Cirencester remains our favourite. Everyone seems relaxed and very friendly.

Hope this helps.

Ann

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I live near Cirencester so no reason to stay at the site! But would like to praise Ciren and the surrounding areas. The town is lovely with a Farmers Market in the town centre every other week (I think)and regular markets on Mondays and Fridays. There is an open air swimming pool and a leisure centre (closed at the moment though due to the floods in July, however the Bouton-on-the Water leisure Centre is open (at the school) and is very good. Bourton is worth a visit anyway.There are regular Craft and Antique markets held in the Corn Hall in the center of Ciren and good shops, many are small unique shops all though several 'chain' shops have made an appearance over the years - the best of them is a M&S foodhall. There are 3 large supermarkets out of town and a Tesco express in the center. Lots of Cotswold villages to visit and good walks to be had. Plenty of farm shops too. My local one has a CL attached and several walks from the shop and a cafe to come back to after a bracing walk up and down all the hills!! Can you tell I like the area

Gill

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks,

We were a bit unfortunate when we stopped at Cirencester CC Site last year.The site is absolutely beautiful,but on our last night there was a disco held in the adjacent school/college.This went on until 2.15am with music at full volume.As we were travelling home the next day we were tired before we started.The warden wasn't particularly helpful,so we reported the matter to the area manager who said he would take it up with the local council.

Other members staying on site said that they'd had the same problem the week before.....a feature that would tend to put people off from returning to that site.

Maureen

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maureen

Sorry for the late reply, having been off the computer for a couple of days.

I think you must have been unfortunate when visiting the Cirencester Park site. We go on a regular basis and rarely get disturbed by noise, except for the wildlife (foxes, badgers, rabbits, etc). OK, at the end of the College year they have a couple of Balls and we have experienced on one occasion a wonderful firework display. We do, however, tend to go outside school hols.

Ann

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of the three I much prefer Cirencester, but I'm biased as I grew up there. The worst thing is the adjacent school which resulted from the amalgamation of previous schools including the Grammar school which had existed since the 1200's - if it's not broken why fix it ?

Go and walk round the park in the centre of the town, which in my day was a private estate of which my father was head gardener. Unfortunately, I think the church tower has been closed to visitors due to "elf and ******ing safety" which has deprived many of a most magnificent view.

Go through Daglingworth and Frampton Mansel for a gentle drive and some good country pubs. Walk through Cirencester park - best time is late Spring with all the horse chestnuts in bloom. Go in any direction for a few miles and make a loop round - you are bound to see some beautiful stuff.

Read the history, from a major Roman town through the Middle Ages wool wealth to the famous sons of the Grammar School - Edward jenner and Wally Hammond to name but two.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi jo-anne

Yes, you are about right on the 50-50. However, we tend to pitch at the top of the site where they are mainly grass. The ground is very well drained so we have never had any problems, even after torrential rain and thunder storms!!! We don't particularly like the 'regimentation' offered by hard standing!

We tend to head to the top because of the superb dog walking field (I have not seen one better anywhere). Even my little terrier is unable to escape and she, I must admit, is the best escapologist we have ever known!

Let me know if you need any further info.

Ann

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts