Cleaning carver system

Nov 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi all. Can someone give me some advice on this product Ive bought to clean the water/carver 2 system , my Carver instructions say do not use Sodium Metabisulphide, Ive bought a small tub of PURICLEAN which contains Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate, have I got the correct cleaner to flush n leave in overnight. Thanks all

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Barkas,

You have to be careful when cleaning the Carver Cascade Mk2, because it is made out of aluminium, and quite a number of common cleaners will attack aluminium products.

Do not leave sodium or chlorine based cleaners in the heater for long, they will begin to attack the exposed aluminium surfaces. Even though the aluminium components have be anodised, and the inside surface of the tank is coated with a protective surface, some areas are still exposed, and can lead to problems if corrosion is allowed to start.

The preferred cleaner was Chempro SDP which was specially developed for the brewing industry where they had aluminium beer barrels, but this is no longer available. A substitute preparation has been produced but as far as I know it has not been approved for use in the Carver Cascade Mk2.

Please see google :-

brewing

Nov 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that John L, Can you also advise on another query as I ve just bought the van, its got a cascade 2 in it as you know, the instruction manual seems to imply that the cascade 2 is gas only as opposed to the 2 GE which is gas and electric. I,m confused as my van has the slide switch with the three lights for the gas AND another switch next to it which is a on/off fused switch wired into the end of the boiler were theres a electrical unit fitted with a red "RESET" button on it. Can I assume that this is a thermostat controlled heater element, the instruction manual states only the 2GE has both heating systems so its thrown me completely

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Barkas,

You are correct, the Cascade 2 is a gas only, and the Cascade 2GE ( and the Rapide model) are both Gas and mains electric heaters.

The two heaters are essentially the same as far as the gas system is concerned, The difference is that electric element fitted to the end of the tank. This is independently controlled via a mains switch, and yes it is thermostatically controlled, though there is no temperature adjustment.

It sounds as though the heater may have been replaced or had the electric tank kit fitted as an upgrade.

You can use both gas and electric heaters at the same time. This will speed up heating up, and due to a slight difference in the thermostatic settings of the two systems, the heater will tend to cycle on the electric element, unless a lot of hot water is drawn off when the gas system will also kick in until the water temperature is restored.

Both systems are safe** to leave on over night, but the most efficient usage is to turn the heater on about 30 mins before it is needed.

**To maintain the safety of all gas appliances, they must be regularly inspected and if necessary serviced or repaired. All work on gas appliances must be maintained by a competent person working to the gas regulations.

Nov 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello again Barkas,

You are correct, the Cascade 2 is a gas only, and the Cascade 2GE ( and the Rapide model) are both Gas and mains electric heaters.

The two heaters are essentially the same as far as the gas system is concerned, The difference is that electric element fitted to the end of the tank. This is independently controlled via a mains switch, and yes it is thermostatically controlled, though there is no temperature adjustment.

It sounds as though the heater may have been replaced or had the electric tank kit fitted as an upgrade.

You can use both gas and electric heaters at the same time. This will speed up heating up, and due to a slight difference in the thermostatic settings of the two systems, the heater will tend to cycle on the electric element, unless a lot of hot water is drawn off when the gas system will also kick in until the water temperature is restored.

Both systems are safe** to leave on over night, but the most efficient usage is to turn the heater on about 30 mins before it is needed.

**To maintain the safety of all gas appliances, they must be regularly inspected and if necessary serviced or repaired. All work on gas appliances must be maintained by a competent person working to the gas regulations.
Thanks for clearing all that up John L.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts