Clive V

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

The old system of Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATS) and Roads Used as Public Paths (RUPPS), Bridleways (Horse and foot traffic only) and Footpaths (On foot only) has now been superseded by the provisions of the NERC Bill.

My advice, Mark is to join GLASS and go out with these guys until you are familiar with the rules. They will know where you can go and where you cannot - they work with the Local Council Traffic Officers to keep the lanes open in the main, but the interest from some councils is less than others!

We heard of an interesting one where one council tried to remove the Byway status of one lane for a mile or so where it runs through their county. The two other counties on either side had kept it as a Byway! So after the NERC Bill you had a Lane that was drivable for all but a bit in the middle.

The case was reviewed and it looks like common sense will prevail as the local farmers are now saying that they want to use the road.

So join GLASS and they will take you out I am sure. It was GLASS members that organised the Green-laning at Easter if you remember. Great guys - who I am sure, will welcome you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts