Coachman Laser Chattering Water Solenoid

May 30, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I have a Coachman Laser 655 and have a continual problem with the water system. The can has an onboard whale water storage tank, a Truma barrel pump, solenoid valve and flow switch. The control is done on a BCA control panel.

The issue is a continual chattering from the solenoid valve. Interestingly, it chatters even if the wires are disconnected from it and at the same time, the pump rapidly switches on and off (whichever pump has been selected). The solenoid valve and flows witch have been fitted with direction of flow towards the onboard tank. I'm at a loss as to what is causing the fault (and don't really understand how how the whole system works).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIACaravan water pipes.png

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the top of the pressure switch (the white one) turn the knob to adjust the pressure setting.
Turning one way (clockwise I think) will increase the required pressure, the other way will reduce the required pressure.

The solenoid is simply ON or OFF

May 30, 2021
Visit site
On the top of the pressure switch (the white one) turn the knob to adjust the pressure setting.
Turning one way (clockwise I think) will increase the required pressure, the other way will reduce the required pressure.

The solenoid is simply ON or OFF

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried adjusting the pressure but it doesn't seem to help. Why would the solenoid chatter even with the wires disconnected? Is the solenoid used when opening the taps or only when filling the tank?

Another thing that confuses me is which way round the solenoid and pressure switch should be installed in the pipe? They both seem to be directional but the way the pipe work is installed suggests that the water needs to be able to flow both ways.

Best regards

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mark

The solenoid should only be used for filling the tank.

As you suggest a solenoid should only operate when power is applied to the coil. Im wondering if its been damaged.

Is it possible there was water left in the pipe work during winter storage? It's possible the solenoid has been damaged by frost.

May 30, 2021
Visit site
Hello Mark

The solenoid should only be used for filling the tank.

As you suggest a solenoid should only operate when power is applied to the coil. Im wondering if its been damaged.

Is it possible there was water left in the pipe work during winter storage? It's possible the solenoid has been damaged by frost.

Thanks. I did drain the system down for winter. I took the solenoid off and there are no signs of damage. I might be wrong but I think that even when powered off, the solenoid let's flow through in one direction?

I'm also not sure whether the pressure switch is connected in the right direction. Does it only detect a pressure drop on the downstream side? Because of where is connected in the pipe, water doesn't flow through it when the taps are open unless the on board tank is being used. The one thing not shown in the picture is the surge damper, could that be part of the problem?

TIA

Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
Sorry to reactivate an old post but I’m having the same issue, mine is a 2021 model but I’ve only just bought it brand new. So it’s been sat around.
Could you tell me how you resolved this issue please? I’ve spent hours trying to sort it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to reactivate an old post but I’m having the same issue, mine is a 2021 model but I’ve only just bought it brand new. So it’s been sat around.
Could you tell me how you resolved this issue please? I’ve spent hours trying to sort it.
If it is brand new and bought from a dealer, it is best to get the dealer to resolve the issue as it is under warranty.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Regardless of whether you think the Dealer is useless, it is his responsibility to fix any problems whilst the van is under warranty.

If you attempt a DIY repair you invalidate the warranty on whichever part of the van you work on.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes I agree but they are absolutely useless and have no time, either way if I can find out off someone who has the same fault, it will make the repair easier.

As said by Damien responsibility lies with the dealer and no one else. Remember that in the first 30 days you have the right to completely reject the caravan and demand all of your money back. That should motivate any dealership.

TRENDING THREADS