Coffee question

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Which is the best and tastiest instant coffee i.e. Kenco, Nestle etc to buy from a supermarket where you do not need to use a coffee machine? If having coffee out at a place like Costa, Nero etc which one is the best for coffee and which is the tastiest coffee. We tried the Latte at Costa and Nero and thought the Costa Latte the better flavour.
Just asking as only recently I have found that I can drink normal coffee again without suffering indigestion and I am enjoying Lattes, but would like to experiment with others at Costa type places. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Which is the best and tastiest instant coffee i.e. Kenco, Nestle etc to buy from a supermarket where you do not need to use a coffee machine? If having coffee out at a place like Costa, Nero etc which one is the best for coffee and which is the tastiest coffee. We tried the Latte at Costa and Nero and thought the Costa Latte the better flavour.
Just asking as only recently I have found that I can drink normal coffee again without suffering indigestion and I am enjoying Lattes, but would like to experiment with others at Costa type places. :D

We have instant in the house but it never gets used. Don’t even give it to tradesmen. I use a Tassimo machine but feel a bit guilty that the pods are virtually non recyclable. So I only have one pod a day early morning. Otherwise it’s filter in a cafetière.

When out I really like Lavazza. Costa seems to bring on the need for a No 1. I only drink the coffee black, unsweetened.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Just cannot drink instant any more-would rather not have a coffee than put up with that so we have a nescafe dolce gusto machine in the house, in the caravan and in bothour work places provided by us-if others want to use them they bring their own pods. Our fav pod is Starbucks expresso which we drink as an expresso(her ) or as a flat white-me! when on offer you can get them with some pods for £35 ish!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Treeted ourselves to a bean to cup machine about 6 years ago. Still going strong and gets used daily. In the van we use an Aeropress which I highly recommend as it does a good job and is small and light. Both taste great but very different.

While out, I like a Nero, Costa or an independent, not mad on Starbucks.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobes
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Greeted ourselves to a bean to cup machine about 6 years ago. Still going strong and gets used daily. In the van we use an Aeropress which I highly recommend as it does a good job and is small and light. Both taste great but very different.

While out, I like a Nero, Costa or an independent, not mad on Starbucks.

John
Does the Aeropress use ordinary filter coffee?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We use Nescafe, Gold Blend " Espresso" we find it tastes like real Italian coffee. Tesco £4.00, today I bought 4 jars in Lidl in Leek at £2.49 a jar.

20210925_210331.jpg

Reactions: Kevin M
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have never been able to drink Nescafe as it always gave me indigestion or heartburn, but that was before and not after.
Not sure on machines having never had one and never thought of buying one and then having to buy pods, but then never done it before.
Several months ago we bought a Brita filter jug and 24 filters cost us about £20 now it is closer to £40 a huge increase. Don't want to get caught the same way with pods.
Normally during the day I drink 2 - 3 large cups of instant Kenco Decaf coffee with plenty of milk and 2 - 3 sweeteners.
BTW when you pour out the coffee does it come frothed up like you get it in a Costa i.e. a touch of the button and al you do is add sugar. No idea how they work.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Bean to cups have frothers. Pod machine milk is vile imo so never use it but there is a crema rather than a froth.

TBH I have zero idea how these machines work as thought you added something like powdered coffee in one hatch and milk in another, pressed a button and magically you had a latte or similar. Never thought about pods.
When we were younger we used a percolator on the stove that was kept bubbling away. Think it used coffee beans as no instant coffee then. That was real coffee!

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site

We have this model. Very cheap compared to many others but certainly makes great coffee. Only I use it and it has just completed a 2500 (ish) mile trip to France.
A grinder and beans and off you go. Simple to use, milk is steam frothed etc. Recommend.
The smell drifts across the camp site Smiles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

We have this model. Very cheap compared to many others but certainly makes great coffee. Only I use it and it has just completed a 2500 (ish) mile trip to France.
A grinder and beans and off you go. Simple to use, milk is steam frothed etc. Recommend.
Thanks for the link but at those prices better to have it as a treat at a Costa. Now to find an instant coffee that tastes almost as good. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Looks a nice machine, and I see it takes ESE pods/pads which are recyclable or even compostable as pads. Better than T pods by Tassimo. Xmas list maybe?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hard to credit anyone can really give advice on what others may or may not like in coffee taste, I suspect its a very personal thing . It will also be biased by the water and particular whitener used, milk type, let alone the blending strength and temperatures used, along with the age the container has been open.

I find I need to change brand and blend regularly to best enjoy a coffee, as my palate changes.
Even the premier high street coffee houses products vary or my palate does.
Plus, not buy the more economic bigger containers as they certainly age if not used up quite quickly.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Totally agree JTQ-really is personal-one person's poison etc. But I also agree -a change of brand pod is sometimes a good thing. Day to day I buy fairly cheap Sainsburys tea bags-but for a treat Yorkshire Tea, Ringtons etc really hit the spot-if i had these all the time I know i'd not appreciate them in the same way.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Totally agree JTQ-really is personal-one person's poison etc. But I also agree -a change of brand pod is sometimes a good thing. Day to day I buy fairly cheap Sainsburys tea bags-but for a treat Yorkshire Tea, Ringtons etc really hit the spot-if i had these all the time I know i'd not appreciate them in the same way.
We always buy Yorkshire tea bags, but like everything else the actual amount of tea leaves in the bag seems to be less resulting in a weak cup of tea.
Still prefer tea with decent and proper tea leaves however difficult to get the correct type of tea leaf tea. How do fortune tellers read tea leaves now? :D

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They-NEscafe recycle our Dolce gusto pods now-envelope and take to a specific collection centre.
Our local center is about 25 miles away. I thought by now Tassimo may have given a bit more thought to recycling their pods. There’s not a good non OEM option either. But I’m loathe to throw out a good machine, but I tend to only use it first thing in the morning. After that it’s cafetière.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We always buy Yorkshire tea bags, but like everything else the actual amount of tea leaves in the bag seems to be less resulting in a weak cup of tea.
Still prefer tea with decent and proper tea leaves however difficult to get the correct type of tea leaf tea. How do fortune tellers read tea leaves now? :D
There are lots of sellers of loose tea online. Just define your requirements IE first flush, second flush, Darjeeling, Assam, Chinese etc. as flavour and strength vary with the time of picking. Even Amazon has a good selection too. Typhoo, Yorkshire are still available as loose tea so I guess others will be too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are lots of sellers of loose tea online. Just define your requirements IE first flush, second flush, Darjeeling, Assam, Chinese etc. as flavour and strength vary with the time of picking. Even Amazon has a good selection too. Typhoo, Yorkshire are still available as loose tea so I guess others will be too.
Not knowing we have bought loose tea previously, but the contents looked like stalks and not tea leaves like I used to know as a youngster about 60 years ago. LOL!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
For a supermarket bought instant then Milicano is the one we would go for, although Morrisons Columbian is a decent one. . It is all down to personal taste so those who want something smoother may disagree with us.
We have a Tassimo machine but the coffee is expensive and has gone up further and most of it s pretty standard stuff so I cannot say I would give that my full support apart from the environmental point. Our daughter has the Nescafe pods type which I would buy if starting again as a lot ,ore choice and more competitive pricing. The Tassimo makes a play of its patented system but that means only one firm makes the pods and with a monopoly you end up paying over the odds and often for less quality in my opinion.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Looks a nice machine, and I see it takes ESE pods/pads which are recyclable or even compostable as pads. Better than T pods by Tassimo. Xmas list maybe?

It's by no means the best but it's capable. I'm sure when used with freshly ground coffee it produces results on a par with the machines costing 5 times as much.
Suits me anyway and it's not so heavy I can't take it away in the van.
As for pods I haven't tried them. My daughter bought me the grinder and a couple of bags of beans so working my way through these first.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For a supermarket bought instant then Milicano is the one we would go for, although Morrisons Columbian is a decent one. . It is all down to personal taste so those who want something smoother may disagree with us.
We have a Tassimo machine but the coffee is expensive and has gone up further and most of it s pretty standard stuff so I cannot say I would give that my full support apart from the environmental point. Our daughter has the Nescafe pods type which I would buy if starting again as a lot ,ore choice and more competitive pricing. The Tassimo makes a play of its patented system but that means only one firm makes the pods and with a monopoly you end up paying over the odds and often for less quality in my opinion.
You’ve also noticed the reduction in the number of pods in a Tassimo pack. Cannot say I’ve seen a balancing price reduction. 👎

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts