Colapz waste pipes

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Fed up of the coil of grey waste pipe for fully serviced pitches coming at me like the creature from Return to the Forbidden Planet whenever we opened the front locker, (no matter how much we thought we had secured it), I have invested in a set of Colapz waste pipes. You get six in a set and they are each a metre long when extended. Hence 6m or about 18 feet in old money.
Do you think that this will reach the majority of grey waste drains on serviced pitches or should I invest in a couple more ( you can also buy them singly).
To the person who is about to type “it depends where the drain is”, Just remember that nobody likes a SmartWhotnot.
Thanks in advance
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Well this SmartWhotnot is saying it depends on where your outlet is! But as most are central, I would guess it’s the hypotenuse of half a caravan length (about 3.5 metres by 2 metres out.

That’s a little over 4 metres, does not seem enough somehow. As you have 6, seems like you are covered.

Will your standard convoluted pipe link to it? If so you could take some of that with you as well to see if you need to purchase more or if you already have enough.

John

Reactions: Mel
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was on a (f)sp that I didn’t use the facility but the drain and tap were between us and the adjacent caravan to the side adjacent to our awning. The tap was shared. as was the drain. The convoluted pipe I used occasionally was curled up and retained by using Velcro material tape. Three bits at 120 degrees interval kept it in place. But the Colapz looks great and a deal better.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I was at eye kettleby last week and I was pleasantly surprised by the drain layout, as said the outlet on caravans seem to be located towards the centre, at kettleby that wasn’t a problem because the drain was also located half way along the pitch, I reckon I used about 4 to 6 feet from caravan to drain, why site operators mainly position the drain right to the back of the pitch Is beyond me.

BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The reason I suggested in my calculation, half the length of the van by 2m is that the two fsp I have been on had the drain about 2 m away from the van and in line with the back. But clearly they vary.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats an interesting idea, whilst checking it out ont tinternet, I found these support hangers, something else to take up excess space in the caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Good stuff Mel.
You have now gone one step beyond most of us. Thanks to Buckman I bought these last year. Brilliant. Maybe time for your pipes? Are they heavy?
7887FBC6-EB21-4908-ACFB-5461BE65940C.jpeg

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi Mel.
Over the years I have tried various solutions to the drainage problem.
The most satisfactory by far was with lengths of rigid plastic waste pipe with reducing joints which I modified to create a trombone effect so that I could adjust the length of the run simply and effectively. The problem here was with storage as the pipework had to travel inside the caravan.
I now have the Colapz waste pipes too and I like them for the ease of storage but, they do have the same drawbacks as the ubiquitous grey waste pipe in that they sag over longer distances which stops the water flow. However, by using a combination of the Colapz metal support pegs and fishing rod rests, the latter which I'd bought to support the plastic pipework, I managed to get a good flow over a distance of around twenty-two feet into a hedgerow. I did have to make up the extra distance with a length of plastic waste pipe though. This was quite extreme and was only necessary when we were unexpectedly placed on an overflow pitch with no grey waste drain. realistically, I doubt any serviced pitch would have drains so far from your caravan. So, the Colapz system works very well providing you have sufficient means to suport it over a distance.
The link below shows another support solution but I made my own with some Kador awning bead and some velcro straps.
I hope this is useful.

Reactions: Dustydog and Mel
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I can only refer people to this alternative method which saves spending time getting a fall, avoiding sags, avoiding a trip hazard Etc..

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Sorry not a direct answer to the question, but I keep my coiled lengths of waste pipe, aerial lead, and direct water pipe tamed with velcro tie straps - like these
Ski Straps, Adjustable Reusable Hook & Loop Ties with VELCRO® Brand Tape 2pk | eBay
although I think mine were an IKEA version -
and then to keep hygienic and tidy I bought some of these
Mains Hook Up Lead Storage Bag for 25m Hook up Cable Caravan Motorhome Camper | eBay
to stop things trying to escape the confines of the locker every time I open it!

Reactions: Dustydog and Mel
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The post that showed the Velcro hangers fixed on a piece of trim Has given me the idea of using a no longer used length of the trim that was used to help to lessen grey streaks, I can cut short pieces of the trim and attach a piece of Velcro which I’ve got loads of in the greenhouse as i have it for plant ties, easy to make these easily at no cost at all, not that I’m going to rush to make them as thus far I never get problems with the water draining but it will be handy to have the meanings to make a few holders should they become required.

BP

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Fed up of the coil of grey waste pipe for fully serviced pitches coming at me like the creature from Return to the Forbidden Planet whenever we opened the front locker, (no matter how much we thought we had secured it), I have invested in a set of Colapz waste pipes. You get six in a set and they are each a metre long when extended. Hence 6m or about 18 feet in old money.
Do you think that this will reach the majority of grey waste drains on serviced pitches or should I invest in a couple more ( you can also buy them singly).
To the person who is about to type “it depends where the drain is”, Just remember that nobody likes a SmartWhotnot.
Thanks in advance
Mel
Why pay the higher prices from Collapz when you can utilise your old pipes? Cut your old pipe into 1m lengths and buy joiners. This will extend the waste pipe.
On occasion we have booked a fully serviced pitch only to find that the point is shared between two caravans so if you are on the left of the bollard you need a really long water and waste pipes.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Or buy household plumbing pipe-with some bends and joiners-I've simply cut it into 1m lenghts and have some right angle bends and joiners . For supports I have pipe holder on tent pegs-and for tarmac a few blocks of wood drilled with holes for the tent pegs to slot in-total cost less than a tenner and you can adapt it to any situation! Works a treat-slide the pipe holders down the tent pegs to get an appropriate fall.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Further to my above post and just for information, below is a picture of the waste pipe solution I used before buying the Colapz flexi pipes.
I used 40mm to 32mm reducer compression joints that I'd modified by removing the shoulder inside the joint with hole cutter so the 32mm pipe can slide inside the 40mm like a Trombone. Very quick to set up, great for long reaches, no sagging but the long pipe length meant they had to be transported inside the caravan in a custom made waterproof bag.
In fact, thinking about it I might start using it again after all the messing about last time trying to get a reliable flow with all six Colapz flexi-pipes fully extended.Caravan drain.JPG

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
That's like mine .I also have a fatter pipe the same but I use tent pegs or awning stakes and pipe holders for fall support.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John,
your suggestion had me going months ago so much so I have considered one for this year.
I understand the principle to a degree . But once the waste Water reaches the exit pipe isn’t that the same as my waste pipe emptying direct into the drain🤔🤔

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John,
your suggestion had me going months ago so much so I have considered one for this year.
I understand the principle to a degree . But once the waste Water reaches the exit pipe isn’t that the same as my waste pipe emptying direct into the drain🤔🤔

Not really my suggestion, I got it from somewhere else.

Without it, if the run of pipe does not drain freely, ie fixed to a gradual and even flow. Then the waste backs up in the van itself. Possible smell and hygiene issues.

With it. The head is created within the bucket and outside of the van.

Also, the waste can escape the van freely and unencumbered. Sinks and shower are more likely to empty quicker.
It is easier to set up,
Easier to clean
Less of a trip hazard.

Cost is minimal, so surely worth a try.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I see .Still worth a punt . But I do admit , as Will some others , my wastemaster works on a similar basis. I don’t know why but it seems to have an incessant leak😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts