Colmare in Alsace

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I am planning a trip to Colmar in Alsace and intend to go via Luxembourg and Nancy. From there the road looks OK up to St Die des Vosges but from then on I am not so sure. Has anyone travelled this route and is it all right for a car and caravan. Thanks Nigel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nigel. Difficult to answer your question without knowing details of your car and caravan, if you post these we'll be able to give a considered answer. Also perhaps whether you are an experinced tower or fairly new to the hobby aka obsession.

If you go online to www.viamichelin.com you can set your intended route both with and without the 'trailer' option ticked and see if the suggested route differs.

There are some nice places around Colmar. We like Riquher which has a good municipal site, and Keyserburg is also pretty and interesting.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Nigel,

This is a great area to visit, we stayed at Les Trois Chateaux in Eguisheim and highly recommend it. You can walk in to the village in less than 10 minutes and it is a fantastic place, almost like a Disney set, but it is a working village. It is well placed to visit Colmar and also Freiburg and is centrally placed for the wine route. The Vosge mountains are steep, but the roads are generally quite good.

The road from Nancy to Colmar are general very good and should not present any problems to you. If you stop in Nancy use Campeole Le Brabois, there is a bus stop just outside to take you in to the centre. The site is a bit bumpy, but if you have a good look before pitching you should be OK.

Just a thought if you are thinking of going in September, have a look at my post on Events and rallies about a rally to the Alsace I am organising, it offer great value. Both sites mentioned are in ACSI if you are a member and going out of peak season.

Have a great time it is a beautiful area to visit.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi Nigel.. 2 routes come to mind the one i used several times in the past. st die to fraize onto colmar [415] has some alpine type climbs and switchbacks ,lovely senary drove it but not with a caravan on tow.. then there's the st die to colmar toll tunnel route,which seems to now be the signposted route to colmar! or was in 2011. flatter route quicker but the toll was 10 odd euro;s just for a car .so no saving on using the m/way from metz to serverne..

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I would ask if you want to go to Colmar or is it just because of its name?

If you are not fixed consider basing yourself at the municipal in Obernai. Very good site with good facilities (no pool or such) and only a 10 minute walk into a lovely old town. It is at the northern end of the Alsace wine route and has easy access into Germany and the Black Forest if you wish. You will get a free night if you stay 10, and there is site-wide wi-fi (free last time we were there.) Many pitches are fully serviced at the same price.

For there go Luxembourg towards Metz but turn off soon over the border to go to Saarlouis, round Saarbruken, to Sarreguemines, down to Saverne, then the D1004 and D422 to Dorlshiem and on to Obernai. Going this way lets you use the German autobahn albeit limited to 80Kph. There is a quite long hill approaching Saverne but it is downhill going south and is not steep but has tightish bends. I took our Pegasus Majestic S5 both down and up it on the back of a 81bhp Astra estate with no problem.

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
A couple of years ago we visited Colmar and really like the Town, very pretty, we travelled via Luxembourg , Nancy and Epinal heading towards Mulhouse, the roads were all fine for towing even in April.We stayed at a nice site in Bussang which is on the route so easy to get to and had a day trip to Colmar and Eguisheim both well worth the trip. The site had an indoor pool and a nice Bar and Resturant, the Shower block was a bit dated but clean.There was also a lovely walk from Bussang along an old railway track.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts