Colour coding on 13 or 7 pin plugs and sockets

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I think the manufactures should colour code the 13 and 7 pin plugs and sockets, instead of numbers or at least colour the numbers, as the numbers are small and they are hard to see them on a black background.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the manufactures should colour code the 13 and 7 pin plugs and sockets, instead of numbers or at least colour the numbers, as the numbers are small and they are hard to see them on a black background.

You would need so many colours that I doubt it would help. Plus the colour blind wouldn’t find it useful. I carry a print out showing the relative positions of the pins from both front and rear directions. If you have a mobile or wifi signal you can always store them in Reading List then link to them:

Reactions: Guzzilazz
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You would only need to match the colours in the cable, just transfer them to the plug. As for being colour blind, shouldn't make any difference, plug or cable.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You would only need to match the colours in the cable, just transfer them to the plug. As for being colour blind, shouldn't make any difference, plug or cable.

It would not work as not all makers stick to a single colour code for their wiring from the van to the vehicle.
There are variances which would make the colour code idea worthless.

Reactions: DaveA1
Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I bought a brand new 13 pin plug for our 2013 caravan and the numbers are so small to see and with the plug being black the pin numbers are black too, which it makes them hard to see and find. I use the wiring diagrams for wiring them up but having the pins colour coding it would make it easier. Our Vauxhall Frontera had the 7 pin N and 7 pin S sockets fitted and I converted them over to the 13 pin socket and it easy, but the new caravan is going to be more difficult.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I bought a brand new 13 pin plug for our 2013 caravan and the numbers are so small to see and with the plug being black the pin numbers are black too, which it makes them hard to see and find. I use the wiring diagrams for wiring them up but having the pins colour coding it would make it easier. Our Vauxhall Frontera had the 7 pin N and 7 pin S sockets fitted and I converted them over to the 13 pin socket and it easy, but the new caravan is going to be more difficult.

Damian was quite correct, however, in pointing out that not all manufacturers stick to the same colour coding convention, so one can't rely on colour coding of the pins.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts