Comparison - X-Trail or outgoing CRV

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
Recently looked at the current X-Trail in view of range of 'deals' on offer. On closer inspection bit disappointed at what appears to be quality of finish of the inside. Seems a bit more utility and stark compared with our current 56 plate Columbia version. In addition to which am amazed at what is below the front passenger seat seemingly prohibiting the rear passengers the ability to stretch their legs and put their feet under the rear passenger seat, something which is achieable under the drivers side rear passenger seat. There is an 'obstruction' which appears to house some of the electric gizzmos of the car leaving only the well to put the feet in. Bit disappointed.

Then looked at the outgoing version of the CRV 2.2 i-DTEC EX manual. Finish seems much better and seems to possess some nice features, ability to turn off rear sensors although not an opening sun roof, panoramic instead!!!

Question is no experience of how this CRV tows, any guidance would be appreciated. Van is a Coachman VIP 460/2 2007 model at an uprated 1470KG MPTLM.

Should I change or stick with Nissan?

Many thanks.

Bernard

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Providing they're both a good match weight and power wise then you may need to consider just which you prefer and how often rear seat passengers would be affected by the gubbins under the passenger seat. Personally if you have children in the back it's better for them not to be able to get their feet under the seats and kick around, knocking heater outlets and the like off, not to mention the discomfort to front seat occupants. Certainly found it an advantage them not being able to get under each of ours on the defender!!

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi Bernard I have a CRV exactly the same model that you are looking at. It suits my needs and is very reliable which is what you expect from Honda. Previously had Xtrail Aventura 56 plate which was a good tow car but disappointing on fuel economy. When I decided to change last year I looked at new Xtrail, Audi Q5 and BMW X3 as well as Honda CRV. Got a good part exchange for Xtrail from dealers and they gave me a suitable spare wheel as the one that comes as standard is not for towing. MPG solo 40+, towing 29 car not run in yet only done 9000 miles. Tow a Bailey with MPTLM 1480kg - no problems. In my opinion the CRV just gets better the more I drive it the more I like it.
FrankE

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
You have to look at the options?
£5K of a xtrail approx, or £2.5K of a CRV approx.
Then consider what equipment you get for the outlay.
On the power and torque side the Nissan comes out tops, along with a higher tow limit, for manual.
Both models are being replaced so you're buying a dated product.
By the way my T31 xtrail has a panoramic sunroof, in fact there's not much that it hasn't got, which is making it extremely difficult to replace, so at present I'm just window shopping.
Off the list is a BMW x3, to date the XC60, and Mazda cx5 are on the possible list.
Due to test drive a new model Santa Fe, and CRV.
The CRV is down on power, but i want to test drive it just in case the Accord engine is fitted at a later date, its around 170BHP plus.(177?)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Nissan had a stand at the NEC aravan show and i asked why didnt they didnt have details of the new X Trail as they had the present one on display.
They replied saying there are no plans to replace it !!!!
The X3 is a lovely motor and the trim standard and kit is very high much better than the hard plastic found in other cars,Jap cars have too many buttons to fill the space up,just look at the Honda accord? the BMW doesnt everything is done from i drive which some may think the dash looks plain/bland? residual wise the X3 is very hard to beat as 6 month old cars selling at over list as the waiting list is very long.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Nissan man was telling porkies as the X trail replacement is due in 2013 but I guess he would not want sales of the current model to fall. The new one is less off road orientated and more soft/crossover and just another bland looking car. No car park wow factor.
http://m.whatcar.com/car-news/nissan-x-trail-to-get-new-name/261751

if the link does not work you'll see lots of images if you Google 'new 2013 x trail' but try to stay awake looking at them!!!
Release in UK expected Autumn 2013.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I know there is a new model coming out hence why i asked, i also asked why they arent going to bring the new pathfinder to the Uk again blank looks!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts