Compromise or upgrade?!?

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
After many years of caravanning and narrowboating we finally bought a motorhome last year as we came out of lockdown. We love it!! However much we love our van we have 2 compromises. The tiny combined shower and washroom and hubbie can't push his driving seat back to a comfortable position for his back!! However we would not lose money on it and do not have any finance etc. It is ours. We have looked at upgrading it to a newer van...ours is 2007 with 71000 miles ...but are seeking your thoughts. Do we change or do we stick with our motorhome with the compromises or do we spend extra or get finance and upgrade??? so undecided. Would love your thoughts. Thanks

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You could use on site facilities to give you more room to wash and shower.
Would it be possible to fit a better driving seat?
When you look at car restoration or car customising programmes on TV, there's almost nothing that can't be done.
A better driving seat, perhaps with longer runners etc would be a lot less expensive than a new motorhome.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank you parksy. The problem with the driving position is that there is a bulk head behind the seat so he can't push it back any further. We can use facilities just love our own...

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem with caravan or motorhome is that both types have compromises to take into consideration.
As far as motorhomes are concerned, the drivers comfort when driving must be the main consideration.
If he or she is not comfortable, as in your husbands case, then that will detract his or her attention from concentrating on the road ahead and make what would be a pleasure intoa chore to be one.

But then comes the issue, accept what you have or extend your finance to find a motorhome which allows a comfortable seat position and satisfies any other issues with layout.
At the moment prices are very high and whilst you will get top price on trade in, the next van will have risen in price also.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Considering selling now , whilst prices are still high, bank the cash, and buy when prices moderate.

During the interim, consider hiring caravan, cottage or hotel.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
As mentioned previously there always seems to be compromises to be made. We went from Caravan to Motorhome and back to Caravan. Each had its little niggles. The problem I see is that if you change it often takes a little while to realise that everything is perhaps not as you'd hoped.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Get on t’internet and have a look at what is out there for whatever money you would be prepared to add to trading in/selling yours. As others have said, there will still be compromises. You will only know whether those other compromises are worthwhile by having a look around and by trips out to local dealers. ( which is my favourite way to spend time, can I come too?)
Sounds like a “Love It or List It” debate at yours. Must be a TV programme in it. 😀
mel

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your thoughts - exactly like that Mel at our house and one of us is more into researching things before parting with any cash and the other is happy to jump in!!

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Decided! (We think :LOL::LOL:) to keep our motorhome. Hubbie has decided to make reversible adjustments to the washroom and just try to adjust and manage the driving position. As I said we do love Sydney Swift and everything is paid for etc....perhaps a change will come when we've seen our 2 through university :unsure:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Decided! (We think :LOL::LOL:) to keep our motorhome. Hubbie has decided to make reversible adjustments to the washroom and just try to adjust and manage the driving position. As I said we do love Sydney Swift and everything is paid for etc....perhaps a change will come when we've seen our 2 through university :unsure:
Glad you have settled on a decision. Now stay away from the internet and dealers forecourts as such decisions can quickly unravel.
Can I also say, as CEO of The Bank of Mum and Dad, University is nowhere near the end of the financial arrangement……….
mel

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Glad you have settled on a decision. Now stay away from the internet and dealers forecourts as such decisions can quickly unravel.
Can I also say, as CEO of The Bank of Mum and Dad, University is nowhere near the end of the financial arrangement……….
mel
I’d agree wholeheartedly as our daughter is late forties, single parent going through university on a Mental Health nursing degree, and working , and we still support her and the granddaughter, including her home. But it’s worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel
Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Oh ......I naively thought that once this masters was completed and 2 more years for my youngest then I may have more spare cash......maybe not!!:eek:
I am staying away from all forecourts and web pages honestly. Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh ......I naively thought that once this masters was completed and 2 more years for my youngest then I may have more spare cash......maybe not!!:eek:
I am staying away from all forecourts and web pages honestly. Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
I know what you mean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts