Computer games?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As I am in my seventies I have never consider playing any computer game however being stuck at home most of the week gets boring so need something to keep the mind active. Watching TV is okay on the evenings and reading books is okay however after a while you find that you need more stimulation.

Does anyone on here play any computer games that are reasonably simple for an old f**t like myself and does not involve a lot of violence etc? Although I have never had an interest in the past, I am thinking of doing crossword puzzles etc until such time as we can truly get out and about.

Any suggestions? :D

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Do you play Bridge?

There is an excellent PC based version called WolfBridge, which will run on anything from Windows XP upwards. The other good bit is that it was free when I downloaded it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Do you play Bridge?

There is an excellent PC based version called WolfBridge, which will run on anything from Windows XP upwards. The other good bit is that it was free when I downloaded it.
TBH all I know about bridge is that you need a partner. Is it a card game?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As I am in my seventies I have never consider playing any computer game however being stuck at home most of the week gets boring so need something to keep the mind active. Watching TV is okay on the evenings and reading books is okay however after a while you find that you need more stimulation.

Does anyone on here play any computer games that are reasonably simple for an old f**t like myself and does not involve a lot of violence etc? Although I have never had an interest in the past, I am thinking of doing crossword puzzles etc until such time as we can truly get out and about.

Any suggestions? :D
Scrabble, chess, draughts, backgammon, solitaire. All very good choices on a computer or any decent mobile device.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Windows has it's Games app that will give you several versions of solitaire, Mah-jongg etc for free, although you do have to watch 30 seconds of ads (and ignore them!) every now and then. If you google 'Daily Crosswords Online' you can find several options - again that are free - but again often funded by ads that run before you can do the puzzle.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I like Freeflow on my iPad. Keeps the brain going on visual puzzle stuff, which I have never been great at. Also free if you ignore the ads.
mel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Codycross is a great word game. Again funded by adverts.

23E97C57-B211-4CA3-83F4-E02B0722C160.png

When you get one right random letters are filled in the others.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No newspaper delivery in our area and a 5 mile round trip to the nearest shop. It has been suggested that I try Microsoft Flight simulator. It does sound good, but need to check if it can run on a laptop and what additional equipment is required i.e. joystick.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When you buy your morning paper why don"t you do the crossword puzzles that should keep your brain working

Ah, NEWSpaper, arn‘t they full of sensationalism, constant repeats, poor grammar, unsupported comments and lack of insight.

But they might have good crosswords, but often only one, what then?

They don’t get my money.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah, NEWSpaper, arn‘t they full of sensationalism, constant repeats, poor grammar, unsupported comments and lack of insight.

They don’t get my money.

John
At least one better than none and you can win some money but it your choice
but i get the Caravan and Motorhome club magazine i often do the Codeword

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

They don’t get my money.

John
I think that it all depends on the choice of newspaper that you chose to read. As well as news they can help to inform too.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
No newspaper delivery in our area and a 5 mile round trip to the nearest shop. It has been suggested that I try Microsoft Flight simulator. It does sound good, but need to check if it can run on a laptop and what additional equipment is required i.e. joystick.
Hi Buckman can you let me know what additional equipment for microsoft Flight Simulator it needs because if it can run on a laptop it looks interesting .Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Buckman can you let me know what additional equipment for microsoft Flight Simulator it needs because if it can run on a laptop it looks interesting .Thanks
I have run Flight simulator on an old slow laptop for many years, just need a joystick, there are many different versions, of FS.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve got X plane flight simulator. (App Store) We’ve had various flight simulators since my son had an early Commodore computer wired to an old tv.(1982 ish) Mountains were inverted V and buildings rectangles or squares. I find them totally absorbing and the realism on a iPad or phone is remarkable. Of course with free ones you not only get ads but there will be limits on functionality such that you may not get all the wiz bang aircraft. But even for bought ones there are some excellent versions from prices up to £10.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
MS Flight Simulator has been off the market for a number of years, but a new version is just out... BUT it has very hefty system requirements... This is a good round up:
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020: Release date, price, system requirements and more | Tom's Guide
I saw that and sadly although my laptop is i5 with 8GB RAM it only has 128mb VRAM so may down the line on spec. Very laptops fall into that category and if they do they will be well in excess of £3000. Not prepared to spend that on a laptop. Guess I will be ditching that idea.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Before i got my laptop i use have a Computer i use play a lot of games and still got some probably have a look in the garage hoping the joystick is still there.
X plane flight simulator looks interesting it depends on price ?.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Before i got my laptop i use have a Computer i use play a lot of games and still got some probably have a look in the garage hoping the joystick is still there.
X plane flight simulator looks interesting it depends on price ?.
I did look at Flight simulator X, but unsure if it is still available even as a download. IMHO the specifications for the Flight simulator 2020 are far too high and MS are going to lose a lot of sales as some people do not want to buy X boxes etc. TBH I have no idea on an X box as never seen one.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Buckman, a lot of people that use the MS flight Sim, are serious users, some with watercooled computors, the simulations created are very usefull for people learning to fly on Instruments. The early MS FS, was expensive then. I also have a Gliding simulator which is great.

I have several different and free games on my Samsung tablet, which revolve around geometric shapes, One I realy like is called Loop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts