Computer Securities

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi I use Norton symantec security latest version 2011 for my laptop, The Guy who installed my laptop and recently my wifes laptop, has stoped trading, when he installed my wifes laptop he installed Bullguard security, which seems to make her laptop run a lot slower than mine.
Question is is it easy to remove the Bullguard securitry completly and replace it with Norton, The 2011 disc I purchased allows me to use it to intall on three machines , mine being the first..

Royston

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It should be easy enough to use the remove programme facility in the control panel, then remove the folder from the C drive.
However, Norton is known to slow computers down and take over the computer in effect.

Personally I would not have Norton on my computer in any shape or form.
There are better, and free, security applications available, such as AVG, Avast, etc.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Agree with Damien with respect to Norton in that is is well known to slow up your computer and is difficult to remove.
Whilst the free anti virus packages are good products they are quite often a couple of months old and not necessarily effective on new viruses.
I recently had a nasty virus and took it into a local computer repair shop and he recommended Panda anti virus.
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/panda-review.html

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
The point that everyone seems to be making whatever system they may use, is that there are many anti-virus systems available....most of which are very good and FREE.
Dont waste your money with Norton et al

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I use Eset which does not slwo down your computer at all. I tend to avoid free gimmicks as they slow down your computer and also send cookies out to third parties.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
i use avg free and zone alarm. I ditched Macafee on the new lap top.... rubbish. The 2 AV software systems to steer clear of... Symantec( Norton) and Sophos.

My other laptop is linux based and does not require any anit virus what so ever, bit i have a virus checker on it and use that for down loading software as if the file is infected it will not cause any damage to the system.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
In Norton's defence we have just bought a new laptop which came with norton preinstalled, it's been fine not slowing down the laptop at all. Before that i always used Avast.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Have been using AVG Free for 10 years on Desktop and all the Laptops I have had, never slowed it down and never had a Virus problem. You cannot beat it. I have always deleted Norton from a newcomputer would not give it house room.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I use Webroot the man at the shop sold it to me for a £10 after installing it I found it had McAfee already installed, so now am running both.
I must admit all seems to work okay......so far.
You can never tell about viruses, the good thing is I have a program called ghost that copies your hard drive and hopefully you can re-install the operating system, I also use external hard drives to back up the system, just hope I never need to.
Reg

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty easy to uninstall your current anti-virus program. Just click Start - Control Panel - Add or remove program- the pick the program that you want to uninstall from the list. :)
You might also might want to consider using Avast, its is free and doesn't slow down your surfing speed.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Reg of "Reg and Pat" and Royston

Not sure that running 2 virus software packages is such a good idea they could conflict with each other.

Reg (the other one!!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts