Condensation

May 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I went into the caravan todat to find condensation in it.

Is it wise to put the heating on, or to leave well alone.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
I'd leave well alone As drying out when it cools down condensation will return Have you got it vented other than the natural vents

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
You could well have High levels of moisture within the caravan.

A cheap option is to purchase two cat litter trays and a bag of cat litter, fill the trays three parts full, and see if this action improves the situation.

Cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alan,

Just in case you don't know, warm air can carry more moisture than cold air. So condensation occurs when warm moist air comes into contact with a colder object. My reason for telling you is that condensation is not usually the problem but the symptom of something else.

I assume from your post that the caravan has been left for some time and your recent visit was the first time someone has been in side for a few weeks. In which case how was the air inside so moist?

Do you have a water ingress problem? This could certainly increase the humidity of the air. Or has someone been inside the caravan, because breathing humans produce humid air, as do open gas flames on the cooker.

Alternatively, given the fact that we have had some very cold temperatures, and some rather sunny days, this can heat one side of the caravan facing the sun. This warms the air inside, and as air get warmer it can carry more moisture. But the side of the caravan in the shadow remains quite cold and this causes the recently warmed air to drop its moisture as it meets the cooler surfaces.

You get exactly the same problem in cars on cold mornings.

As Rita says, simply heating the caravan for a time will not cure it, Heating raises the temperature of the air but it also increases its ability to hold moisture. So warming a caravan appears to dry it out, but infact all it is doing is making the air act like a sponge and collecting the moisture. Turn off the heating and the body of the caravan cools creating cool surfaces, which cause the air to cool, and in doing so it losses its ability to hold as much moisture so it condenses onto the surfaces.

The most effective solution is to ensure the caravan has no waster ingress problems, and to ensure the ventilation openings are not blocked. It is also a good idea to open cupboards and bed lockers so that the air can freely circulate. Some people arrange a fan to blow the air around.

I do not agree with Bobs suggestion; For a caravan in storage with proper ventilation, there is a continual exchange of air from inside to outside. And air that is dried will quickly pass out of the caravan to be replaced with new moist air from outside. So the drying system (crystals, cat litter or a dehumidifier etc) will be fighting a loosing battle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts