Confused - Towcar for a Twin Axle!

Jun 16, 2006
Visit site
Hello

I am having to change car and want to make sure that if I upgrade my van to a twin axle, then i will be able to pull it safely on regular visits to south of france and a 6 week holiday going down to Italy and greece in 2008, as well as frequent weekends away. My choices seem to be

1 Big 4x4 that will pull easily - cant get on the company so will have to buy 2nd hand for other half (probably pathfinder diesel as 7 seats and considerably less expensive than disco). I will have to get a golf

2 Big car and wife gets a touran/zafira etc for the shuttling of ours and other peoples kids. Have identified that Audi A6 2.7 tdi would be about the best, but from websites will still be at c.89% ratio to a twin axle of c.1600 - 1700

3. Big mpv (espace etc)- cant get it out of my head that A6 would be more stable to tow with - help please!

Have read lots of forum and one thing that I dont know is how far/often people tow when they say they tow heavy vans with seemingly light ish cars

Any help would be much appreciated

D

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I tow a new Elddis Crusader Superstorm with a 2001 Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 DID. The elddis has a maximum gross weight of 1900kg and it's mass in running order (miro) is in excess of some twin axle vans gross weight. The Shogun pulls the van with ease and makes a very stable match. With a new model due next year ( for new model read facelift on current model) some good deals are available at the dealers.

My first trip with the car and van was to France in August and I was very pleased with both the performance and the economy and not once did I feel concerned about stability . Oh and yes they have seven seats.

regards

Steve

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
I am now on my 3rd MPV, first 2 were galaxys this one is a Chrysler Grand Voyager. I would never go back to towing with a "normal" car. I chose an MPV for the space and that the company would not go to a 4x4. Chrysler is limited to 1600kg but the Fords aren't. They are all very stable.

If you are set on a saloon or estate have a look at the Chrysler 300.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello d,

Like tj 4 I would agree ther are many very capable MPV tow cars.

They offer the space of large 4x4.

Gennerally lower running costs of fuel and serviceing.

In many cases better towing stability than some saloon cars.

I can't compare my Renault Espace with the Audi A6, but my Renault works well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts