Confusion on caravan insurance.

Aug 14, 2022
Visit site
I will be storing my caravan in a CaSSOA gold site where the caravan is moved in and out of secure compound for me. But insurance quotes stipulate a hitchlock and wheelclamp - the hitchlock can clearly be left on but the wheelclamp can not be used (as prevents movement of caravan) and so will be stored without the wheel lock and thus contravening the insurance policy. What do others do in this situation? New to caravanning- picking up an Elddis Rambler Wandahome 4 berth (2018) on 20/08/22. Any help gratefully received.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you do not secure the caravan in accordance with the insurers specific requirements, the insurance will not cover any claim you might need to make.

Discuss the problem with your CaSSOA storage site, as they will almost certainly have had similar concerns and will probably have a solution.

Alternatively, find another site where it's not a problem, or a different insurer who does not make it a requirement.

As others have said, there is probably a solution with the keys.

Incidentally, is your insurer aware you are using a CaSSOA site? If not it might be worth asking if there is a policy discount for using one.

Aug 14, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I think I will need to talk to the insurance people on the phone and also enquire with the storage site. And yes, I fill the quote form out and they recognise the storage site as a CaSSOA site. I have read somewhere that when in storage on a CaSSOA sites , some insurance companies only expect hitch lock to be on (e.g. Caravan Guard) and when out of storage hitch lock and wheelclamp. should be on when not towing I guess I will have to speak to insurers or read the small print to find that info out for sure.....erm,

Again, thanks for the replies...I'm learning!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you will find insurance where a wheel lock is not required so you need the site to hold the keys for that as we;; as the hitch lock. You can probably find insurance for just a wheel lock if you look though. I would speak to he site and see what they can do.
Possibly the site would be happy with the easier to use clamps like the Wraith and Nemisis Ultra provided they meet the insurers specification. We use the Nemisis and get a discount for it.

Aug 14, 2022
Visit site
For those in similar positions found this on Ripe caravans insurane (underwritten by Aviva):
  • When your caravan is left unhitched from a towing vehicle, it must be protected with a hitch -lock and wheel clamp, unless at a CaSSOA storage facility whereby they have stated in their contract that they do not allow a hitch-lock or wheel clamp to be fitted
I hope that this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For those in similar positions found this on Ripe caravans insurane (underwritten by Aviva):
  • When your caravan is left unhitched from a towing vehicle, it must be protected with a hitch -lock and wheel clamp, unless at a CaSSOA storage facility whereby they have stated in their contract that they do not allow a hitch-lock or wheel clamp to be fitted
I hope that this helps
Unfortunately, unlike car insurance where the standard cover has to meet the needs of the Road Traffic Act regards what is and isn't covered, there is no similar legislation concerning caravan insurance. Each caravan insurance company can write their own rules, so you must not assume the cover is the same from every company.

The devil is in the detail of all these policies, so you should read and understand the detailed Terms and Conditions of the particular company's your interested in before deciding and agreeing to the policy.

Reactions: Robersk1
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Ripe condition is fairly standard but it can vary and even be different according to the value of the caravan. Not all websites publish the policy conditions so you may only find out their requirements when yo apply for cover.

Reactions: Robersk1
Aug 6, 2022
Visit site
look around , there are plenty of insurance companies out there and you can put it to them that your van will be stored at a cassoa storage but will not have a wheel lock on, let us know how you get on, it may be of use to someone else.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Ripe condition is fairly standard but it can vary and even be different according to the value of the caravan. Not all websites publish the policy conditions so you may only find out their requirements when yo apply for cover.
I'm pretty certain that if you are interested in a particular policy, and they haven't put the T&C's up, you can request them to send a copy to you. After all Until you have seen the T&C's you cannot know if the policy is going to meet your needs. Its a pretty fundamental part of the transaction.

Reactions: Dustydog
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed you could ask but you do get a cooling off period to give you time to look through the policy and can get your money back if there is a problem.

Aug 14, 2022
Visit site
look around , there are plenty of insurance companies out there and you can put it to them that your van will be stored at a cassoa storage but will not have a wheel lock on, let us know how you get on, it may be of use to someone else.
Just about to sign a contract with a CaSSOA site (Gold) near me and they replied (when asked about the contract and Ripe caravan statement): "We wouldn’t normally use the wheel clamp, as the buildings are alarmed and locked at all times, but we will do whatever is required by you/your insurance. It just need to be noted on your contract when you complete it."

So all good. I think it best to get an insurance quote over the phone and ask them directly about their Ts and Cs to ensure that it is suitable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts