Cooking on Holiday

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I notice - with a degree of glee, it has to be said - that Baking isn't the most-often-used thread on this Forum! Does that mean that everyone else hates cooking in the caravan as much as I do? (Well, I don't do much of it at home, either actually)

Some folks were saying, in another thread, that life is too short for reading. I am of the same opinion when it comes to cooking. Heating stuff up kills all the vitamins. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
I notice - with a degree of glee, it has to be said - that Baking isn't the most-often-used thread on this Forum! Does that mean that everyone else hates cooking in the caravan as much as I do? (Well, I don't do much of it at home, either actually)

Some folks were saying, in another thread, that life is too short for reading. I am of the same opinion when it comes to cooking. Heating stuff up kills all the vitamins. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: ha ha, very good, someone I once worked with told me they had gone veggie so as to avoid using the oven, as it was so hard to clean :woohoo: it was only after they told me this I noticed how large their ears were and how often they twitched their nose must have been all those raw carrots.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Conditions have to be horrendous before we cook in the van. Normally I use the cadc and stand there with an umbrella if the rain is too much. I just hate the residue smell of cooking, hence the outdoor method. One thing we have started recently, and I dont know why i didnt catch on before, is to take the slow cooker and plug it in in the awning. In a morning, it takes madam that long to get ready, I can just chuck a load of bits into it and switch it on. That way the meal is ready after a long day on the beach.

I guess, one day, some passing dog is going to catch on and that will be that.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I don't cook, I warm. OH cooks- at home and then it is frozen and warmed in the van. When away he is sent outside to cook on on the cadac.
mel

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
CyberCynth said:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: ha ha, very good, someone I once worked with told me they had gone veggie so as to avoid using the oven, as it was so hard to clean :woohoo: it was only after they told me this I noticed how large their ears were and how often they twitched their nose must have been all those raw carrots.

Ah, now, coincidentally, I'm a veggie, too. However I don't see that as an excuse not to cook (apart from reiterating my previous point about raw food being better for you), though I have been known to nibble my way through the odd carrot or three. Errr, wot's up, doc??? :lol:

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I must be in the minority then add I love to cook and bake in the caravan!
At home we have an awful electric oven (landlord supplied it) so cooking with gas is a dream when we go away.
I bake fresh bread, cake etc and cook full meals in the vans oven.
So much nicer than electric.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
fatgituk said:
I must be in the minority then add I love to cook and bake in the caravan!
At home we have an awful electric oven (landlord supplied it) so cooking with gas is a dream when we go away.
I bake fresh bread, cake etc and cook full meals in the vans oven.
So much nicer than electric.

Funny how we're all so different! I have a gas cooker at home and I hate the wretched thing. Give me an electric fan oven any day! Fortunately my little Gobur Carousel doesn't have a cooker in it. No better excuse for not cooking! I have a 3 ring hob and a grill, which is quite adequate for my needs.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Looks like I have made a big mistake, just purchased a cadac and guess who will be cooking,
oh well it is suppose to be a man thing!!
Mind you I could burn everything first time and be demoted, do you think my plan will work?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Cadac is brilliant, turns a normal geezer into superman. Just dont stand by the BBQ with your grundies over your shell suit :lol:

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
We bought this model Cadac Grill 'O' gas last year and have been well impressed with how easy it is to use, infact due to it's not overly big size I can fit it into the dish washer :eek:hmy: for a good scalding, I have just managed to locate a lid for it & the difference it the food is now noticeable and it cooks a lot slower so it's now saving gas now aswell ;)

Last year Lady Mel mentioned in a post about one of these out of curiosity I bought one :silly: and have to say again it's impressive how it works .....

May 24, 2014
Visit site
How many of you use the Cadac Liner, see

Cadac Liner

We use them both on the Skottl and the large pan. When done, simply rinse under the tap, no large items to wash or heavy pans to carry.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I've looked at this and wondered how much cleaner it kept the Cadac.
We use foil to lune the fat drip areas. Always a mess to clean as is the grille. However those aluminium containers from Aldi also work well.

Does the Cadac liner help to keep the bbq clean?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As an example, I make a Thai Cocunut Curry on a regular basis, which is done using the Skottl as a wok. I simply line the Skottl, cook on the liner, and rinse the liner under the tap. Worst case scenario is the odd splash gets away, which just wipes off with tissue. The other advantage is that the liner helps the food cook in its own juice, hence no need for much, if any extra oils. On top of this, things very rarely overcook on the liner. I can only say they are utterly brilliant. We also use the liner to the same use in the large pan, in which case the added benefit protects the non-stick surface.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I've looked at this and wondered how much cleaner it kept the Cadac.
We use foil to lune the fat drip areas. Always a mess to clean as is the grille. However those aluminium containers from Aldi also work well.

Does the Cadac liner help to keep the bbq clean?

It's not any good if used near a open flame ....

The cooking plate on ours is proper cast iron, not a alloy one with a non stick coating applied..

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, Im only suggesting using it with the wok, or large pan, not near a naked flame. Brilliant they are, but they dont do everything :p

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Code:
Does this mean a lot of fat and grease is going down the drain, which will cause later problems?

Sorry WC, only just seen this. I use it for making curries, chilli, spag bol etc. Meat cooks in its own juice, very little to no fat or grease. Occasionaly, I just give the liner a light spray with 1Cal.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I've ordered one and will try it out at York at the end of the month.
just to be clear my cadac has a flame diffuser. So even with the open grill you can't see the flames. Can it be used on the grill or only the skittle?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My son is a gas engineer. He uses a special heat protective mat when soldering joints.
Is this cadac liner as heat proof?
So you actually put the food on it and cook?

I'll experiment.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Going to a small Cl in Oxfordshire next week for 3 nights and a bloke up the road is doing the cooking at his house for one of the days.
I don't know him as my son got the invite ..........my son may have paid .......actually I think he did.
Some fellow by the name of Raymond Blanc..........I let you know if the food is any good!

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Getting back ti the topic... I cook at home, then freeze inportions. This is then defrosted and reheated as required, and cuts down cooking to veg, pasta, rice and spuds. I MAY be persuaded to pop croissants in the oven, as well as the occassional pizza if cut to size, but thats it - I'm pn holiday, too! :silly:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts