Cooling fans for fridge

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Has any one fitted fans in their caravan to help with cooling down the fridge on hot days. Preferably thermostatically controlled. If you have an awning up, it will be a lot hotter in the awning than outside.
I have been meaning to add fans to draw up air over the fins on the rear of the fridge and to expel the warm air through the top vent. I am sure that there is a 12v feed at the rear of the fridge.
I don't have the expertise so any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Jun 20, 2020
Visit site
Has any one fitted fans in their caravan to help with cooling down the fridge on hot days. Preferably thermostatically controlled. If you have an awning up, it will be a lot hotter in the awning than outside.
I have been meaning to add fans to draw up air over the fins on the rear of the fridge and to expel the warm air through the top vent. I am sure that there is a 12v feed at the rear of the fridge.
I don't have the expertise so any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
YouTube have some good advice on fitting them.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have, and very pleased with how they operate. But I cobbled it together from computer parts and a cheap thermostatic controller from China.

I can hear mine cut in and out regularly in hot weather, demonstrating that they are shedding excess heat.

Not a good idea if you have no interest in the DIY aspect. For a price you can get ready made kits which would be the best option.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes I fitted a small fan with thermostat control for a trip to France. Our fridge vent was on the offside. It worked okay but I had to switch it off at night as it still cut in and out and even being such small fan it disturbed us. Fortunately we had no neighbours to complain. The vent positions were as on the photo below.

IMGP0146.JPG

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if i want a small fan fitted to our caravan fridge it going in for a service on Monday could have it done then i am no good at DIY for peace of mind .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On a hot day in the UK if the fridge vents are on the nearside and the awning is up, you will have the same issue.
At the sort of temperatures likely in an awning on a hot day the fans usefulness isn’t going to be a significant help. We had 35-38 deg in France and beer had to go in the Coleman Xtreme cool box. 😂

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At the sort of temperatures likely in an awning on a hot day the fans usefulness isn’t going to be a significant help. We had 35-38 deg in France and beer had to go in the Coleman Xtreme cool box. 😂
Previously when in France or Spain we have filled the cool box or bag with ice and hidden the beer under all the ice. LOL!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The caravan club have the Dometic fridge cooling kit for £56 delivered if you are a member. TBH I would prefer a twin fan combination like the Titan 12V DC IP55 (120mm), but concerned about connecting it up as unsure where the 12v is at the rear of the fridge.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The caravan club have the Dometic fridge cooling kit for £56 delivered if you are a member. TBH I would prefer a twin fan combination like the Titan 12V DC IP55 (120mm), but concerned about connecting it up as unsure where the 12v is at the rear of the fridge.

The Titan is interesting, but mixed reviews. Seems they do a 120 and a 90 mm version. One person said the 120 is too big for an under counter fridge.

I THINK that the Dometic version comes with a harness to connect to the fridge power supply. Don’t know if the Titan is similar, but people say it’s easy to fit.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I made a thermostat circuit for our fridge. The problem with the bought controllers (apart from being expensive) is that they use 200ma constantly, my circuit uses 3ma and can switch a 3 amp load. I've made about half a dozen over the last couple of years for Funsters, they look cool too 😎
Diagram available if you can solder, it's quite easy on veroboard 👍
Probably fit an on off switch anyway whatever I decide to fit. Just found out that the Dometic kit is not available until May. I am not sure if the single fan would be sufficient, but the Titan 120mm seems to fit the bill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts