Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaners

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I have been looking at the cordless handheld vacuum cleaners - is there anything particular I should look out for. Primarily I just want one not too cumbersome or heavy but quite powerful. Any views would be appreciated.

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
We have one of the first Dyson cordless vacs.

Very powerful suction and a handy unit, but the run time is limited betwen charges. Geerally I find it doesn't last long enough to get all the way round the inside of the car before runing out. I think the new model has a two speed motor to improve run time and possibly a powered brush head which would be useful.

Years ago I had a cordless Black and Decker unit, which was next to useless with virtually no vacuum at all.

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site

Very powerful suction and a handy unit, but the run time is limited betwen charges. Geerally I find it doesn't last long enough to get all the way round the inside of the car before runing out. I think the new model has a two speed motor to improve run time and possibly a powered brush head which would be useful.

Years ago I had a cordless Black and Decker unit, which was next to useless with virtually no vacuum at all.
Apologies for poo spelling!!

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site

Or even poor!!! This cordless keyboard is even worse than the Black & Decker vacuum. Keeps dropping letters. Time to get the corded one back out I think.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
We had a cordless handheld but it ran out pretty quickly so we replaced it with a cheap 12v car vac from Halfords.

No fancy brushes or anything but its good enough for going over seats & carpets to pick up any crumbs.

Not sure how it would hold up if you have kids or dogs around but its fine for us.

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your views - think I may pop over to Halfords and have a look at their vacuum cleaners; although its easier if you can try them out.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Eileen

We bought one of the first little Dysons. It picks up very well, loads of suction and god on dog hairs. BUT the charge only lasts 6 mins.

If Dyson could make it so it ran off the 240v as well then I'd say yes , buy one. At

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I have the little dyson its great and have a 2 year warranty,picks up everything ,could last a little longer but the later ones have a 2 speed motor.

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Difficult to see how the two speed helps much, it will presumably extend the running time but as fan pressure (or suction) is a square law, half speed for instance will only be a quarter of the suction. My experience of hand held rechargeable vacuums is that even at full speed they have very limited effect.

Bill D.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
It does indeed extend the run time approx 10 mins instead of 6 mins.

No bag so suction always high so able to pick up quicker than a normal rechargeable hand held

I got mine at a show Dyson were at,show offer

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
In defence of the Dyson, the suction is amazing and in a completely different league to the usual cordless vacs.

I suspect that even with a reduced fan speed, the vacuum will still be more than that generated by most others.

Just a pity it wasn't designed with a larger capacity battery pack or with an optional 12v lead. (Now there's a thought for what to do with the old battery pack I replaced last year).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts