Cornwall covid clusters

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Cornwall covid update - pretty high recorded covid cluster rates across the county now. Newquay area is the very worst and if you are still coming here for a summer break DO NOT go to Newquay if you can avoid: highest of the Newquay area clusters is presently 1,184 cases/100k. That's one in 84.5 peop's who've been wandering around with/spreading covid-19 on your campsite, next to you on the (very) crowded beach, on the high-street, in the pub/restaurant or queue for the chippie AND in the supermarket !! Take care/take measures!

(To note: not so very many weeks ago there was nary a new recorded covid case in any of the 73 Cornish area clusters !!! Please, please don't get sloppy just cos you're on holiday. If you wish to avoid covid, Cornwall is probably one of the very worst places to be right now and over the coming peak holiday weeks.)

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneS and Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cornwall covid update - pretty high recorded covid cluster rates across the county now. Newquay area is the very worst and if you are still coming here for a summer break DO NOT go to Newquay if you can avoid: highest of the Newquay clusters is presently 1,184 cases/100k. That's one in 84.5 peop's wandering around with/spreading covid-19 on your campsite, next to you on the (very) crowded beach, in the pub/restaurant or in the supermarket !! Take care/take measures ! (To note: not so very many weeks ago there was nary a new recorded covid case in any of the 73 Cornish area clusters !!!)

Cases have risen fast in Wiltshire and across the west county too. Bristol was around 900 yesterday so it is hardly surprising that crowded and popular tourist areas are going to ramp up, especially with the glorious weather. For the fist time since last year Leiceter and Coventry are below the average for England. Thats because the populations have gone on holiday.

Reactions: arob.wk
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
On the of 12th of August we have planned to go on a family reunion. Something my sister organised at a pub in Shropshire about 11 years ago. That sister and one brother are no longer with us, but her daughter is Re-organising it. It should be excellent.

Today, because of the increasing covid numbers and my wife’s stress levels. We have sadly had to cancel. Then my other niece whose family is now based in Copenhagen have had to return quickly as Denmark have put us on their red list.

There should still be around 26 going. Such a shame.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I will pull our Coachman out for a coupleof days, a good wash, polish , a few beer and wines inside, the take it back to storage, as we are late 60's and Mrs H, is highly vulnerable, no point in risking ourselfs.
Enjoy your trips.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the of 12th of August we have planned to go on a family reunion. Something my sister organised at a pub in Shropshire about 11 years ago. That sister and one brother are no longer with us, but her daughter is Re-organising it. It should be excellent.

Today, because of the increasing covid numbers and my wife’s stress levels. We have sadly had to cancel. Then my other niece whose family is now based in Copenhagen have had to return quickly as Denmark have put us on their red list.

There should still be around 26 going. Such a shame.

John
That’s clearly a disappointment to you, but surprised that 26 are still planning to attend. Hope they keep okay.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It seems that there are early signs of the infection rate slowing down, except for the major tourism hotspots, and the infection rates all seem to be highest in the younger adult age groups. It may be that the vaccines really are working and once herd immunity is reached by the dont give a toss brigade, we mught see some improvement.

With both jabs under my belt, and probably a winter booster, Im not going to let this ruin my life anymore. I will take all the same precautions we took in lockdown, i.e. masks, hand snaitizer, social distancing et al, but my life has been on hold long enough. If we all took the same care, we should be OK. If Im worng about this, you wont miss my grave as it will say

UNDER THIS SOD LIES ANOTHER.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My cousins are holding their big bash in Sussex , two weeks hence. All got cancelled last year. As far as I know all have been double jabbed. So we are going. Whilst our infection rates are rising it must be noted we test weekly more than the whole of the EU combined. So any comparison with them will be flawed. Sadly we will have to live with the mutations, just like we do with the flu.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh its certainly the younger groups and although infections are up i think what they are reporting is that the R number is slowing its growth. Eventually the whole population will either be jabbed or immune.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our 16 year old was keen to receive the vaccine but with the recent reports coming from CDC and Israel of potential cardio side effects the advice to her was to not have the vaccine. A number of +18s where she works have decided not to proceed as they were concerned that the side effects don’t recognise the difference between -18 and +18. She told me this on our morning cv walk today. I must admit to being quite pleasantly surprised at the maturity of their discussions and decision making. Different to me at that age.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think I will pull our Coachman out for a coupleof days, a good wash, polish , a few beer and wines inside, the take it back to storage, as we are late 60's and Mrs H, is highly vulnerable, no point in risking ourselfs.
Enjoy your trips.
We are only using CLs over the next couple of weeks with hopefully a stay at a proper site in Somerset, but away from Weston. Pitch is fully serviced with EHU, water and waste water connections.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,
Thingy – I hear you; and you are doing all you reasonably can to resume some activities whilst minimising risks to yourself and others. It’s gone on a long time but it is frightening isn't it?
I live in Liskeard. Had a look at the interactive map. From 10th April right through to the end of June there were always less than 3 cases per week being identified (so no data presented,) based upon the 7 days until 17th July the rate had now risen to 290 / 100,000 (the last data point available and a couple of days before the so dubbed ''Freedom Day.'') Liskeard is a little town in S/E Cornwall, most people I see locally continue to respect distances, wear masks in indoor public settings etc. I spoke with a just turned 19 year old bar person a few days ago - never been to his first nightclub (due to pandemic) and whilst would really like to, won't consider it until feels it’s safer and he will not put others (more vulnerable people) at risk. He told me that amongst his peer group, attitudes are the same..... yet cases here are rising. Although I think that most young people are like the bar person I spoke with, this caution in not universally adopted. We’ve all seen the pictures on the news of people going wild from midnight when clubs opened – doing what JVT warned not to –‘Ripping the pants out of it.’ Locally we have no night clubs and to be honest amongst the small number of people I have seen in shops etc not wearing masks, more have actually been seniors: perhaps feeling less at risk due to having been doubled jabbed?
Last year you may recall criticism of tourists on the news for refusing to wear masks and saying “we came down here to get away from all that’’ – those said individuals can now legally adopt that view.
When driving, we anticipate hazards and when appropriate, we cover the brake pedal. The Netherlands have reversed their restrictions with their PM issuing an apology, Israel and Chili have also done U-turns. Sadly, with the dropping of mandated restrictions on 19th July and reliance on people taking responsibility for their actions we look to have for now disabled the brakes. The sad consequences of the minority of people who either don’t understand or disregard how their behaviour causes increased risks largely contributes, I'm sure to the reason why John, Hutch & many others have had taken the sad decision to alter plans and either cancel or postpone special planned activities. As with other places reliant on tourism, Cornwall loves, wants and needs visitors (and their money ;)) BUT without additional / avoidable suffering being left behind when people go home.
Anyway, on a lighter note, getting back to the young bar person, I hope he will be able to experience and enjoy his first night club from late September on as per the picture below!
Much thought to all, Wayne

Screenshot_20210720-140329~2.png

Reactions: Hutch and arob.wk
May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have just had a month in Cornwall, fully serviced on a 5 star site, and two things about the stay are worthy of note. On this site, the rules and advice were being adhered to by the staff and their cleransing efforts were worthy of an operating theatre. Secondly, it was obvious how very few people were actually using the facilities, and of the few, most were tent campers.
Im still of the opinion that if you take precautions its no more of a risk than two months ago.

Reactions: arob.wk and WayneS
Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
We have just had a month in Cornwall, fully serviced on a 5 star site, and two things about the stay are worthy of note. On this site, the rules and advice were being adhered to by the staff and their cleransing efforts were worthy of an operating theatre. Secondly, it was obvious how very few people were actually using the facilities, and of the few, most were tent campers.
Im still of the opinion that if you take precautions its no more of a risk than two months ago.

Completely agree - caveat being as long as people and places are as responsible as yourselves and what sounds to be the great site you stayed on (y)

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Have we been well and truly hood winked??
According to this piece of scientific blurb our masks may have been of no value at all😥😥
Who the heck do we believe on masks and EVs🥵🥵🥵

The link requires registration do you have an alternative please.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here’s a screen dump.
Cloth face masks are 'comfort blankets' that do little to curb Covid spread, Scientist warns
Dr Colin Axon warned some cloth masks have gaps that are invisible to the naked eye, but are 5000 times the size of viral Covid particles
ByJustin Stoneman17 July 2021 • 1:45pm
Standard face coverings are just "comfort blankets" that do little to reduce the spread of Covid particles, a scientist has said.
Dr Colin Axon, who has advised the government on minimising the risk of cross-infection in supermarkets, accused medics of presenting a "cartoonish" view of how how tiny particles travel through the air.
He warned some cloth masks have gaps which are invisible to the naked eye, but are 5,000 times the size of viral Covid particles.
"The small sizes are not easily understood but an imperfect analogy would be to imagine marbles fired at builders' scaffolding, some might hit a pole and rebound, but obviously most will fly through," he told The Telegraph.
The mask debate has been reignited this week after the Government published 'Freedom Day' guidance recommending their continued use. It led to Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, enforcing their continued use on the London Underground.

ADVERTISING

Dr Axon said the public need to be offered a wider view of the science behind face masks, rather than the "partial view" of information being pushed by medics over their effectiveness.
'Medics have a cartoonish view of how the world is'
"Medics have this cartoonised view of how particles move through the air - it's not their fault, it's not their domain - they've got a cartoonish view of how the world is," he said.
"Once a particle is not on a biological surface it is no longer a biomedical issue, it is simply about physics. The public has only a partial view of the story if information only comes from one type of source. Medics have some of the answers but not a whole view."
Dr Axon, Brunel University's senior lecturer in engineering, said that the true mechanisms involved are best evaluated through science.
"When the particle enters another body it returns to a biomedical issue but the mask debate is about the particle journey," he said.
"Masks can catch droplets and sputum from a cough but what is important is that SARS CoV-2 is predominantly distributed by tiny aerosols."
Passengers wear face masks on a platform at Canning Town underground station in London

Passengers wear face masks on a platform at Canning Town underground station in London
Dr Axon said that medics were "unable to comprehend" the miniscule elements at play, adding: "A Covid viral particle is around 100 nanometres, material gaps in blue surgical masks are up to 1,000 times that size, cloth mask gaps can be 5,000 times the size."
Dr Axon, whose report on ventilation in supermarkets was used by both Nervtag and Sage to aid decisions, says that medics "cannot have it both ways" over asymptomatic spread.
He added: "Not everyone carrying Covid is coughing, but they are still breathing, those aerosols escape masks and will render the mask ineffective."
Droplets from coughs are much larger, and more likely to be stopped by a properly used mask, Dr Axon says. An Oxford study last summer concluded that masks were "effective" in reducing the spread of the virus.
'We are entrenching bad behaviour'
However, other studies have cast doubt on their effectiveness. A subsequent Danish study involving 6,000 people concluded that there was no statistical difference in infection spread in non-wearers, while data on US states with non-mandated usage failed to show a correlated uptick in cases.
"The public were demanding something must be done, they got masks, it is just a comfort blanket," Dr Axon noted. "But now it is entrenched, and we are entrenching bad behaviour.
"All around the world you can look at mask mandates and superimpose on infection rates, you cannot see that mask mandates made any effect whatsoever.
"The best thing you can say about any mask is that any positive effect they do have is too small to be measured."

CLARIFICATION: This article has been amended to reflect that the gaps in some cloth masks are 5,000 not 500,000 times the size of viral Covid particles and to reflect that whilst Dr Axon has advised Sage and Nervtag on ventilation, he is not currently a Sage adviser.
breaking-news.png

Telegraph Breaking News alerts
Be informed about the latest news stories as soon as they break

By creating a Telegraph account, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Policy.